Ferdinand Building Renovation + Addition | Dudley Sq | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Sq's Ferdinand Building to be Restored/ Renovated

The map explains the facade gap on Washington St.; right-of-way for the Elevated.

That was the northbound track. The southbound track stayed on Washington st.

That second pic is kinda freaky.

Happily, the design bar here was set high and by the city no less. Hopefully this standard takes hold and starts to percolate elsewhere.

Great photo dump tonight, BeeLine. Love the pics of this project especially. Thank you.

I love everything about this development.

The new Dudley Sq rises!

This looks really cool, I want to try to get over there to see this in person. Thanks for the update

Developer sees new life for former Roxbury bus yard
By Casey Ross

Since 2005, the MBTA’s former Bartlett Bus Yard has remained a blight on Roxbury — a large empty space that has attracted big ambitions but little money or progress.

But Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation is pressing the city to approve a sweeping plan to transform the 8.6-acre property into 323 homes, a grocery store, shops, offices, a public market and plaza, and new roads to improve transportation in the area.

In papers filed recently with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, Nuestra said its $140 million development, Bartlett Place, would fill a void in the redevelopment of Dudley Square, which is seeing a burst of construction after years of inactivity.

“The proponent intends to make [the property] a destination for Roxbury residents,” Nuestra said in its BRA filing.

The authority is planning a community meeting to discuss the proposal Thursday night, an indication it is moving closer to a vote on the master plan for the property. Even if the plan gets a go-ahead, each of its buildings will also need approvals from the BRA and other agencies.

New housing could create a diverse community with units in at least five buildings on the edge of Dudley Square.

Nuestra’s development plans have stirred debate among neighbors in recent months.

At one point, a Walmart grocery store was considered for the site, but the idea was dropped after Mayor Thomas M. Menino and others raised concerns about the impact on local retailers.

While Nuestra has not named any new retail tenants, its most recent filing says it is still seeking a grocery store and drugstore, but the retail plan will include opportunities for local businesses.

If built as envisioned, the project’s housing could create one of the most diverse communities in the city.

The units would be spread among at least five large buildings on the site, which is on the edge of Dudley Square near a police station.

The project would include 194 affordable rental and ownership units, and 129 market-rate residences.

Nuestra’s proposal also calls for large concentrations of housing for the elderly, as well as live-work units for artists.

Although the developer is seeking approvals from the BRA now, it is not proposing to start construction until the fall of next year — raising the possibility that a blip in the economy or other issues could further delay the project.

However, Nuestra may be able to ride a wave of building activity in and around Dudley Square.

The city is building an office complex for the school department in the long-shuttered Ferdinand Building, and several new retail stores and civic spaces are planned as part of the effort.

The city has also built a new police station in the neighborhood and upgraded the public library.

Several other major projects are planned on Melnea Cass Boulevard, where developers recently received approvals to build a hotel, dozens of apartments, a Tropical Foods supermarket, and offices.

Another group is making progress on a concentration of large-footprint retail stores and homes at so-called Parcel 3 on Tremont Street.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

Some pics from the first of three events at the BAC chronicling the Dudley municipal office building. This one was mostly focused on the history of the site and working with the community.

2013-09-04_19-26-37_13.jpg

Ted Landsmark is the black guy facing away from the camera.

2013-09-04_19-16-20_12.jpg

Unfortunately my phone died before I was able to get any close ups of the graphics, I'll try to grab some better ones next time I'm down.

2013-09-04_19-40-38_203.jpg

When the mayor got there everyone got creepily silent. I couldn't hear exactly what happened but it I believe he broke the model. I've never heard him speak before, he is really funny.

My girlfriend has my sketchbook in her car, but when I get it I'll post some of the details from the speeches.

Love how you can just say, "The black guy" and never have to say "The black guys" ... (although there is at least one other one - the one in the pink ... the Black Gay Guy?)

The ethnic diversity at the BAC is a running joke, especially in the architecture classes. Ted is the president, and the school is open admissions, so I have no idea why. (Another running joke, all the attractive girls are in interior design).

The ethnic diversity at the BAC is a running joke, especially in the architecture classes. Ted is the president, and the school is open admissions, so I have no idea why. (Another running joke, all the attractive girls are in interior design).

What happens in Architecture school, stays in Architecture school.....

This was also approved yesterday.

Developer sees new life for former Roxbury bus yard
By Casey Ross

Since 2005, the MBTA’s former Bartlett Bus Yard has remained a blight on Roxbury — a large empty space that has attracted big ambitions but little money or progress.

But Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation is pressing the city to approve a sweeping plan to transform the 8.6-acre property into 323 homes, a grocery store, shops, offices, a public market and plaza, and new roads to improve transportation in the area.

In papers filed recently with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, Nuestra said its $140 million development, Bartlett Place, would fill a void in the redevelopment of Dudley Square, which is seeing a burst of construction after years of inactivity.

“The proponent intends to make [the property] a destination for Roxbury residents,” Nuestra said in its BRA filing.

The authority is planning a community meeting to discuss the proposal Thursday night, an indication it is moving closer to a vote on the master plan for the property. Even if the plan gets a go-ahead, each of its buildings will also need approvals from the BRA and other agencies.

New housing could create a diverse community with units in at least five buildings on the edge of Dudley Square.

Nuestra’s development plans have stirred debate among neighbors in recent months.

At one point, a Walmart grocery store was considered for the site, but the idea was dropped after Mayor Thomas M. Menino and others raised concerns about the impact on local retailers.

While Nuestra has not named any new retail tenants, its most recent filing says it is still seeking a grocery store and drugstore, but the retail plan will include opportunities for local businesses.

If built as envisioned, the project’s housing could create one of the most diverse communities in the city.

The units would be spread among at least five large buildings on the site, which is on the edge of Dudley Square near a police station.

The project would include 194 affordable rental and ownership units, and 129 market-rate residences.

Nuestra’s proposal also calls for large concentrations of housing for the elderly, as well as live-work units for artists.

Although the developer is seeking approvals from the BRA now, it is not proposing to start construction until the fall of next year — raising the possibility that a blip in the economy or other issues could further delay the project.

However, Nuestra may be able to ride a wave of building activity in and around Dudley Square.

The city is building an office complex for the school department in the long-shuttered Ferdinand Building, and several new retail stores and civic spaces are planned as part of the effort.

The city has also built a new police station in the neighborhood and upgraded the public library.

Several other major projects are planned on Melnea Cass Boulevard, where developers recently received approvals to build a hotel, dozens of apartments, a Tropical Foods supermarket, and offices.

Another group is making progress on a concentration of large-footprint retail stores and homes at so-called Parcel 3 on Tremont Street.

Casey Ross can be reached at cross@globe.com.

You know, if Dudley does turn around (and I hope it does) its going to be a really long, hard process. I started looking at places for sale, and urban renewal has really destroyed the bones that make the south end and such so desirable.

The street grid is a mess. Malcom X Blvd is a virtural freeway that doesn't relate AT ALL to the buildings along it, and without substantial work i don't know if they ever will.

Most of the redevelopment around Dudley proper has been super low density and auto orientated. It looks more like a British suburb then what should be the Harlem of Boston.

The larger city-owned parcels south of Dudley St are also a mess, with too many setbacks and park space.

Then of course you have Melnea Cass Blvd, which even if it is redone is still surrounded by oddly shaped city owned lots that have now become "parkland", which is the big green divide separating Boston proper from the wild blue yonder. IMO, they shouldn't be downsizing it. Melnea Cass needs to be 100% torn out and the old grid (and that lovely park) reinstated. Same with Malcom X Blvd. Perhaps some simplification to ease travel patterns, but these two roads need to go.

Its going to take a ton of work to get anything close to this again:
img-server.php

Back