Flickr Finds & Social Media Pics

Is this the same building as in the old, old, old Copley photo?

cvs.jpg

Yes, along with the Church of Our Lady, or whatever it was called, the third church in Copley square which has been long gone and forgotten.

Exeter Place, the infamous "Darth Vader" building is on the parking lot. A forgettable 70s-era brick building sits on the weeds.

ablarc would know what was there before. I think Exeter Place replaced a French Second Empire building that was torn down in the 70s.

One Exeter was 1985 or 1986 built. I remember after it opened, and Robert Campbell's scathing review, somebody hired a guy to dress up as Darth Vader and stand outside and wave. The interior was and is still very much women wearing shoulder pads marble. Also it was one of the first mid-size multi-tenant buildings that made visitors show an ID. There wasn't a security guard, but a tuxedo clad "concierge" who managed the front in the late 80's/

Wow, I want to live in 1970s Boston. Look at Quincy Market - it clearly had potential to be a kind of SoHo - first a bohemian quarter, then a retail destination - without the homogenization it underwent.

The BPL garden looks like it was much nicer, too. And Fort Point channel...wow...

Wow those are some great pics. The hancock beacon is bright!

Thats the brand new X-Way in backround of quincy market pic.

It was already 20 years old at that point. I believe the Big Dig conversations started in the 70s...

Wow, I want to live in 1970s Boston. Look at Quincy Market - it clearly had potential to be a kind of SoHo - first a bohemian quarter, then a retail destination - without the homogenization it underwent.

I had the exact same reaction. But then SoHo has turned into the same kind of mall Quincy Market has so it doesn't really matter does it?

That was kind of my point. It would probably be filled with chain retailers anyway, but it wouldn't also feel like some unified mall development. It would maybe be less of a kitschy tourist destination, at least.

If the allure of SoHo fades someday, the neighborhood has a chance to organically drift back to an everday Manhatttan neighborhood. Unless some big unforseen change occurs in the ownership and management of Quincy Market, this organic change will be much harder to occur given it's under control by one owner. The owner will likely just keep renovating when the style gets stale in order to reinvent much in the same manner as say Natick Mall.

^ This is sad and true. Boston needs to stop the superblocking not just of development, but of ownership as well.

Back