Fort Point Infill and Small Developments

It will be a damn shame if this building is a loss. Sounds like that maybe the case though.

Cliff --- some of the really Big Timbers were still actively burning sometime after 3PM [circa 12 hours] lotta wood -- but can't be too much left

I was in the building back a few years ago -- Timbers and columns with mushroom tops were amazingly large -- it was a warehouse structure designed for massive floor loading

That might be its saving grace -- because being empty and under renovation -- not all the timbers' strenght are needed just to support the unloaded floors, walls and roof

Cliff --- some of the really Big Timbers were still actively burning sometime after 3PM [circa 12 hours] lotta wood -- but can't be too much left

I was in the building back a few years ago -- Timbers and columns with mushroom tops were amazingly large -- it was a warehouse structure designed for massive floor loading

That might be its saving grace -- because being empty and under renovation -- not all the timbers' strenght are needed just to support the unloaded floors, walls and roof

I walked past the building last night, and they had spotlights shining into the building from the street to assist I'm assuming fire and cleanup crews. Anyway, I had a pretty good view inside the of first few floors, and the columns looks to be in good shape. At least the columns toward the front of the building. Some barely looked charred. Perhaps the fire was mostly floor boards?

Holding out hope here...

Possible good news:

“My best estimate is that the developers will be able to continue the renovation,” said Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Fire Department.

Those old warehouses were designed to burn. The heavy timbers themselves need a true inferno to do much more than char, think how trees are usually still standing after a forest fire. The floor construction typically was done to mitigate fire danger as well. Floor joists were spaced few and far between (or in some cases there were none) in lieu of thick sub floors and floorboards to support loads. Fire doesn't like smooth flat surfaces, so minimizing beam pockets helped a lot. They typically were also built with sprinkler systems, which I assume were deactivated due to the conversion. The amount of alarms the fire went to concerned me, but I had a feeling the building would be okay.

Infill at 338 Congress St. I believe this is the same as the Farnsworth St. project mentioned in the quote.

338CongressStrend1.jpg

338CongressStrend2.jpg

338CongressStrend3.jpg

The project site

338CongressSt-site01.jpg

338CongressSt-site02.jpg

Those old warehouses were designed to burn. The heavy timbers themselves need a true inferno to do much more than char, think how trees are usually still standing after a forest fire. The floor construction typically was done to mitigate fire danger as well. Floor joists were spaced few and far between (or in some cases there were none) in lieu of thick sub floors and floorboards to support loads. Fire doesn't like smooth flat surfaces, so minimizing beam pockets helped a lot. They typically were also built with sprinkler systems, which I assume were deactivated due to the conversion. The amount of alarms the fire went to concerned me, but I had a feeling the building would be okay.

Davem -- I suspect that the high level of alarms was the concern about spreading of the fire -- especially after the building was cleared and the BFD decided to fight the fire from the outside only

Congress Street is one of my favorite in the city. I love how the buildings are all similar heights and generally a similar style. Hopefully whatever happens on empty lots adds to the feel of the neighborhood.

One building that I'm intrigued by is 369 Congress. It sits between the recently completed 381 Congress (home to the new Row 34 oyster bar) and some type of electrical substation. It's definitely on the run down end of the spectrum, but it's also got a nice market on the first floor (beer and wine, pre-made lunch stuff) and Trillium Brewing as well.

I think the building needs at the very least a facelift, but my concern would be displacing those street level businesses and some of the last remaining artists studios in Fort Point.

The old white hardware store (fake) meth lab building?

Think it just needs a paint stripping, and then brick re-pointing.
Don't think anything would need to be shut down or kicked out for that to happen.

I always picture someone moving that substation at some point and filling in that lot (right now gravel, a substation and chain link fence.)

That and the little parking lot across from DD that has been ripping off the moms going to the Children's Museum for years. I can't imagine that staying a parking lot for toooo much longer. Keep the alley obviously (Sleeper St Extension) to allow for access to the backs of all the buildings fronting on Summer and Congress. Also, on the Blue Wave (Tavern Road now I think?) side keep and alley I would assume since windows abound.

Congress Street is one of my favorite in the city. I love how the buildings are all similar heights and generally a similar style. Hopefully whatever happens on empty lots adds to the feel of the neighborhood.

One building that I'm intrigued by is 369 Congress. It sits between the recently completed 381 Congress (home to the new Row 34 oyster bar) and some type of electrical substation. It's definitely on the run down end of the spectrum, but it's also got a nice market on the first floor (beer and wine, pre-made lunch stuff) and Trillium Brewing as well.

I think the building needs at the very least a facelift, but my concern would be displacing those street level businesses and some of the last remaining artists studios in Fort Point.

Your concerns about the building and its tenants are well-founded.

The building is constructed of reinforced concrete, a material quite unusual given its age. It was built in 1918 by the Boston Wharf Company for use as a wool warehouse.

338 is quite nice. The only thing better would be more of it, like another 3 or 4 floors. That would still be very much in scale and a more sensible maximizing of a rare empty lot. Don't get the "thing" some have for blocks like these to all be the same height, makes no sense to me and lacks variety.

338 is quite nice. The only thing better would be more of it, like another 3 or 4 floors. That would still be very much in scale and a more sensible maximizing of a rare empty lot. Don't get the "thing" some have for blocks like these to all be the same height, makes no sense to me and lacks variety.

The height was due to past tax laws. I forget what it was exactly (I think 60'), but if you built over the limit it was more expensive, hence why nearly everything in the Fort Point was built the same height by the BWC. IIRC that's why the buildings along Summer St drop down a floor where it crosses A St. A is a floor lower than Summer, so the height restriction started at the lower level.

Last edited:
That made financial sense then but as you say the original buildout was due to a now defunct tax law. I see nothing wrong at all encouraging greater density here with more height. Sticking to the existing roofline of the neighbors is deliberate underbuilding and just doesn't seem rational given the high land costs.

Even if the developer proposed only these 7 floors the BRA (because this kind of empty lot is rare) should be encouraging and helping to facilitate a larger building.

Oh, I agree, I was just throwing out a bit of historical perspective. If I was the head of the BRA, I would have the infill buildings within fort point allowed to be 2 floors over the ajacent buildings top, or six if stepped back . More than that and it would ruin the very outside or on the boarders of the district, anything would go (a'la 319A).

Back