Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Getting ahead of ourselves on the progess of highrises.... because that's how we roll....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...wer-set-power/YirP2T9UZ1IyXSr64MVBgM/amp.html

"The tower is growing about three floors every two weeks"

"One Dalton, the hotel and condo tower under construction alongside Christian Science Plaza, is set to poke its head up above the neighboring Sheraton Hotel within the next few weeks, taking its place on the Back Bay’s high spine. At its full height — 742 feet — One Dalton will be the city’s third-tallest building."

"The project has been underway for 2½ years, but until now most of the construction work has been quiet, and has gone unnoticed beyond neighboring blocks, as crews dug 165 feet into the ground for the tower’s foundation. Now they’re heading up, and fast. Soon the whole city will see it."

-
Just a couple weeks away from this thing breaking past the plateau and letting everyone know whats up with that lit up crane. I remember hearing about Millennium Tower from random people who don't follow architecture once it started becoming noticeable on the skyline. I'd imagine this will follow suit, but then it will keep going, and going, and people are going to be blown away.

Once it becomes noticeable people will start watching, and then as it starts catching the Pru they're going to be wondering where the hell that came from haha. Its going to be awesome.

can we trade jobs? It seems i could use your income...

I got a pretty good deal(by Four Seasons standards). They generally run a special where if you book three nights the third is considered free so although it's still not cheap it comes out more in line with what you would expect at the Westin or Marriott. I actually just booked again for two weeks after New Years as there's a Lana del Rey concert and I scored the same deal although with a slightly higher nightly average.

I got a pretty good deal(by Four Seasons standards). They generally run a special where if you book three nights the third is considered free so although it's still not cheap it comes out more in line with what you would expect at the Westin or Marriott. I actually just booked again for two weeks after New Years as there's a Lana del Rey concert and I scored the same deal although with a slightly higher nightly average.

Four seasons and mandarin oriental will probably always be outside of what I'm willing to spend, so I likely will never get the hype over them.

Boston has a persistent lack of hotel rooms that inflates the prices though. In other cities I've gotten luxurious accommodations for whats average boston prices. (Towers at the New York Palace, Shangri-la Taipei, The Jefferson DC, all at under $300 a night).

We need more hotel rooms of all varieties.

PS on that note i just remembered its Cyber Monday. Good time to book hotel rooms. Just got 3 nights at le meridien Cambridge for $261.54 taxes and fees included.

Last edited:
Given the "Boston will be one of few cities with two Four Seasons propaganda," I would guess it will be...

They had that going for the two Ritz Carltons, too, and it didn't last that long until they sold off the old.

The "other" Ritz was just condo's, I thought... not a hotel.

Along with the residences, what is now the Taj used to be the Ritz - first one in North America in fact. They ended up closing after the new Ritz opened, but, honestly, they also got pretty ripped off in a multi-million dollar renovation and modernization project that didn't really do anything.

The curved glass really makes a huge difference in quality of the facade. Amazing view.

3d-visualization-residential-OneDalton-01-1.jpg

The glass looks pretty close to some renders. Others look much lighter than reality but I honestly prefer the darker glass and we don't know how the upper floors will reflect the sky yet either. Either way IMO I like the darker glass more than the almost clear reflective shown in some of them and I think it will work very good in this situation.

Belvidere-Dalton-2013-rendering2_FOR-WEB.jpg

Z6Bw-0.thumb.1214_PCF_cam34-cw-top.max-500x500.jpg

re: the above comments about the glass -- i think it's worth noting that the photos (real life, not renders) where you note (correctly) that the glass is darker than the renders, it was an overcast day. unless they were to aggressively blue-tint (or any other tint) the glass, if it's merely reflective then on a grey day it'll appear daker, and on bright sunny blue-sky days (as in all of the renders) it's bound to appear lighter.

Others have also correctly pointed out the glass's appearance will lighten up once the interiors are finished

A couple notes on the cladding...

1. The color of the spandrel absolutely has an effect on the perceived color of the glass.

2. The color of the spandrel becomes irrelevant once the mech floor is passed and the residentials start, since it will turn into indents surrounding the tower.

3. Higher glass that is reflecting sky will always seem a little brighter than the lower floors, which tend to reflect the buildings around it.

4. With all that said, the glass is falling on the darker side of the spectrum, different from the Hancock, Millennium Tower, Exchange Place, and 111 Huntington, and I love it!!!

i'm fond of onyx, myself... To hold onyx from my friend's sunstone mine in Sinaloa was sublime.

I made the post/comment having seen it in person many times and it is definitely darker than most renders show, which Im very happy about because it looks amazing. 22 Liberty comes to mind, they both had similarly lighter colored glass in the renders and the glass is similarly darker in person. 22 Liberty's glass looks great the crown is what kind of messes up the building although its still pretty nice. The interior finishes lightened it up a little bit but its still dark glass, I do expect further up to be lighter when reflecting the sky, but at the end of the day its dark blue glass and Im very happy about it.

I think this post captures it pretty well:

Heres another one. I think darker glass always comes across more serious and with more class I guess you could call it than light highly reflective glass does. I think both have their appropriate applications and location that work well and I feel like darker glass works well here. I like this a lot.

I think it looks better than some examples like this one below that is very light.

One-Dalton-Street.jpg

Millennium Tower gave us an extremely rich very deep blue that came out incredible I'd say basically the perfect color blue. This is almost an off green dark blue depending on the conditions that I feel will work very well here as well. Its good to have varying shades on the skyline vs tons of light blue all over the whole city like you do see some places.

admittedly this doesn't add a whole lot to the conversation, but i went by this thing yesterday and in addition to re-confirming that, yup, it's going up faster and, yes, the glass looks amazing, what struck me more yesterday than pervious visits is how TINY the plot is. with so many of us complaining (understandably) about how most of boston's high-rises are on the fat/squat side, 1 dalton will definitely NOT be that. at 742' (or 755' or whatever it ultimately is) with the width it's dealing with this will essentially be a "pencil tower" -- at least when compared to everything else in town.

admittedly this doesn't add a whole lot to the conversation, but i went by this thing yesterday and in addition to re-confirming that, yup, it's going up faster and, yes, the glass looks amazing, what struck me more yesterday than pervious visits is how TINY the plot is. with so many of us complaining (understandably) about how most of boston's high-rises are on the fat/squat side, 1 dalton will definitely NOT be that. at 742' (or 755' or whatever it ultimately is) with the width it's dealing with this will essentially be a "pencil tower" -- at least when compared to everything else in town.

Yes! I wish someone would demolish one of the big fa downtown skyscrapers and replace it with several taller, skinnier ones.

As far as the glass the sky is the key, just look at the Hancock,some days a beautiful mirror other days dark and dirty looking , I’ve watch every tower go up since 1984 and this one has me excited the most!

^^Dewey Square, 1 IP and MT are the last thrills since the '70s.... and now, 1 Dalton.... Thank Christ.

Up the street at 115 Fed, Joe Larken walked in and calmly announced, "the difference between us and them is; we'll build the damn thing."

After a number of failed highrises, planners weren't gonna risk another..... Everyone on AB knew they were going to win.

Upward movement has resumed over the last two days- the core is now visible above the rest of the tower, and the forms have climbed on the SE side.

Should be more consistent from here on out.

Back