Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

the low-rise CSC building, just across Belvedere from PF Changs and the Sheraton. CSC has carved out a retail space. Click this link to see:

http://goo.gl/maps/Ls3o

Thanks. I guess the windows/door have been around longer than I've noticed, but as of the past week they are actively advertising the retail space with flashy "lease me!" ads.

Luckily, I'm going to guess, this space isn't big enough for a bank.

Now if only the Sheraton would open some of its ground floor to retail facing Belvidere we'd actually have a real street there.

They put up a spotlight shining a light on the sidewalk with an advertisement for the new bar that sometimes works. Unfortunately it's not clear how to get to it from the outside.

one of the towers will be 500'+! that will be a great lead in to the pru. which will maybe have the tower at Back bay going to 600' plus and then down to DTX with another 600'... hopefully this time next year we have some big cranes throughout the skyline.

one of the towers will be 500'+!

This has been common knowledge for years, but I certainly agree with your sentiments. IT'S ABOUT EFFIN' TIME BOSTON'S SKYLINE GOT THE UPGRADE IT DESERVES.

A prominent local developer will build two towers next to Boston’s signature Christian Science Plaza, shaking up one of the city’s signature public spaces with what will be one of the tallest new buildings to hit the skyline in years.

One tower will rise to about 50 stories and the other 20, creating significant new peaks on the Back Bay’s skyline. Developer Carpenter & Company Inc. was selected to develop the property, at Belvidere and Dalton Streets, by the First Church of Christ, Scientist, which has been working to redevelop its sprawling campus in Back bay for several years.

http://mobile.boston.com/art/45/bus...an-science-plaza/Q8BS11nMDk3sNG8WCZ0o6K/story

^
lil_dancing_banana.gif

The plaza has been an integral part of the Back Bay landscape for more than 130 years

Not really accurate, as the plaza in its current size and form is a product of 1960s-70s 'urban renewal'. A lot of buildings were taken down along Huntington Ave, Mass. Ave., and probably some other smaller streets in order to create the Reflecting Pool and plaza that we enjoy today.

Are the sites of these two new towers currently vacant lots, or part of the brick plaza? A map would be helpful.

50 stories will really diminish the Pru's singular stature. Not sure that's a good or bad thing. Better renderings/models would be nice...

proposed-site-plan-without-pool-crossing_imagelarge.png

The two towers mentioned here are the ones shaded yellow to the north of the publishing house.

I wonder why the contract for their own tower adjoining the Sunday school building was not also given to Carpenter. I imagine that if they have been thoughtful enough to select Pei Cobb Freed for these two they would also use those same architects for the building that is actually on the plaza. What's the benefit of using a separate developer?

50 stories of residential will be much short than 50 stories of office.

This model shows how the buildings look when done.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=125681&postcount=261

Is the 512' number set in stone? Maybe they will come back with a few extra feet. I'm hoping the Copley Tower does the same thing (but not too many extra feet) and comes back closer to 650', as opposed to getting shorter/not being built. Otherwise I just don't understand the wait on that one.

What is the timetable for this project? Why do I always hear about these things 5-10 years before the first shovel gets into the ground?

Thanks for the map. How did you find it, or did you create it?

Looks like the 'high-rise' triangular parcel is currently a park (presumably privately owned), and the 'mid-rise' is a small surface parking lot with about 60 spaces.

We need some towering residential and 50 stories is a good start.

Hopefully since CSC went through preliminary permitting this can move quick. Same with the fact that this is residential.

Conclusion: I agree with the banana.

This project has a special place in my heart- researching it drew me to this forum, and I'm glad to see it progress. I think it'll be good for the taper down from the Pru on the skyline.

That foam model of the 512' tower isn't set in stone, correct? It'd be fine, I guess, if it stayed like that, but I'd like to see a setback on it or something distinctive.

Edit: Also, does the Parcel 12/15 development have a page? I haven't heard of it before.

Because everyone knows that I like to over analyze anything about nothing, here I go...

Previously, the height was slated for 512' but there was never a floor count. Now, there is a floor count stated (almost in stone) but no height in the article. This leads me to believe that the building could be taller.

If Copley Place is 47 stories and roughly 650 ft, I think think the new CS tower could be about that easily. That would be awesome.

Because everyone knows that I like to over analyze anything about nothing, here I go...

Previously, the height was slated for 512' but there was never a floor count. Now, there is a floor count stated (almost in stone) but no height in the article. This leads me to believe that the building could be taller.

If Copley Place is 47 stories and roughly 650 ft, I think think the new CS tower could be about that easily. That would be awesome.

At the same time, I think Copley Place is being marketed as a higher-end building that would have higher ceiling heights, etc. that demand a taller tower. 50 floors and 512' is cramped, but just as doable as 47 and 626'.

Back