Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

This project has a special place in my heart- researching it drew me to this forum, and I'm glad to see it progress. I think it'll be good for the taper down from the Pru on the skyline.

That foam model of the 512' tower isn't set in stone, correct? It'd be fine, I guess, if it stayed like that, but I'd like to see a setback on it or something distinctive.

Edit: Also, does the Parcel 12/15 development have a page? I haven't heard of it before.

No activity in about 6 months, but heres the thread

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=2347

FlyingPigs.bmp

^ Another project that's not happening? Damn, why have a thread at all?

I don't understand why so many people on this board are talking as if this was just plucked out of thin air ... it's been on the drawing board for over four years. What happened today is just the latest step. There are over 300 posts about this - read back a couple pages for background.

I was going to say I'll check up on this post in about 20 years but someone beat me to the punch

You wanna check back with me in about a decade? Id be willing to bet on it.

Ok. I'm sure you have reasons for thinking this isn't going to happen. My issue is that you don't say why. You just swoop in with a snarky image as though everyone else is a foolish naif.

Isn't this already permitted?

Thanks for the map. How did you find it, or did you create it?

Looks like the 'high-rise' triangular parcel is currently a park (presumably privately owned), and the 'mid-rise' is a small surface parking lot with about 60 spaces.

As noted earlier in the thread, the church controls both parcels.

Last I heard on the street was the church was nailing down financing and being encouraged by the city to wait for the Berklee School's project to finish.

For those of us who can't access the Globe links above:

http://bostonherald.com/business/re...science_church_picks_developer_tower_projects

csc.jpg

Christian Science Church picks developer for tower projects

January 23, 2013

Cambridge developer Carpenter & Co. will build two towers next to the Christian Science Plaza in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood.

The church said today it tapped the company as the master developer for the pair of sites on Belvidere and Dalton streets across from the Hilton and Sheraton hotels.

A planned 50-story tower will house a hotel and condos, while an adjacent 20-story building will be filled with apartments.

Last year, Carpenter & Co. lost out on another potential hotel and office project on a nearby Back Bay site.

The company withdrew from a competition to build on a Pike air-rights parcel along Boylston Street, after failing to make a deal with the owners of the Hynes Auditorium garage.

The Christian Science Church, which is trying to improve the aging 15-acre plaza and maximize revenues from its real estate holdings, did not disclose financial details of the projects. Carpenter will eventually take ownership of the buildings.

“The development of the Belvidere/Dalton sites will bring significant new vitality and improvements to the area,” said Meg Mainzer-Cohen, president of the Back Bay Association.

Last fall, the church inked a 99-year, $59 million ground lease deal with Beacon Capital Partners of Boston. The firm took over as landlord of the church’s 26-story office tower at 177 Huntington Ave.

If you can't access a Globe link, copy and paste it into Google, click from there, and voila.

Ok. I'm sure you have reasons for thinking this isn't going to happen. My issue is that you don't say why. You just swoop in with a snarky image as though everyone else is a foolish naif.

The reason is that this is BOSTON.

^ Hooray sloganeering! I meant specific to this project. It's easy to run around poo-pooing every proposed development because "this is BOSTON"...

^Agreed. We all know the examples of projects like Columbus Center that failed to come to fruition, but look around the city right now at all that is happening. Some of the current wave of projects have been in the works for nearly a decade, but on the back end of a recession they're actually getting built. It's not like Boston doesn't deserve some of the bad reputation for not nurturing new building, but as far as has been publicized about this project, it seems like things have been progressing slowly, but steadily and smoothly. I don't see any reason to expect that this is going to end up in the trash heap.

My question is how the plaza's designation as a landmark by the Boston Landmarks Commission affects, if at all, the construction of these buildings. I guess it wouldn't have received BRA approval if it hadn't already been OK'd by any relevant historical commission reviews, right?

These buildings aren't on the plaza, so whatever the historical folks finally decide should happen to the reflecting pool should have no effect on them.

Globe article mentions they are going to take cues from the St. Regis in San Francisco.
http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/bts/archives/hotels/07_stregis/default.asp

He said new shadows created by the buildings will fall mostly on the Hilton and Sheraton hotels, and not on the plaza, which is the largest privately owned urban open space in Boston that is accessible to the public.
http://www.boston.com/businessupdat...ience-plaza/Q8BS11nMDk3sNG8WCZ0o6K/story.html

And also: shadows can't fall south. Except in NABB's imagination.

Wait, ArchRecord calls that SLEEK?! I love AR and they are an extremely credible publication, but damn that is so incorrect.

Back