Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Is there any chance the spire or antenna (documented in the FAA height specifications) will be considered as structural height to make 1Dalton the tallest building in the city? A stretch, I know, but Indianapolis’s Salesforce top floor is 625 and their roof ornament brings it higher than Boston. Looks nothing more than a set of poles similar to the Pru’s antenna..

If it's detachable then no. Chances are, the antenna is detachable. This is why the antenna on the ESB is not counted toward it's final height, despite the fact that they look more ornamental than Indy's Salesforce tower.

But honestly, if you feel so strongly to have this tower be the new tallest, you don't have to follow the standard guidelines set by the CTBUH. Just redefine it as a buildings total height is determined by the pinnacle height, though in this case, the Prudential Tower would be the tallest building in Boston, which means that Boston hasn't had a new tallest since the 60s! (the horror)

When the Pru went up in 1964, was it really the tallest building in the world outside NYC? I read that on wikipedia and if thats the case, its mind boggling how far behind Boston has fallen.

To be fair, I'd be happy with just one 1000 footer in the city (preferably in the financial district) even though I know that won't have with BOS so close by.

Walked past this today; pictures dont do it justice. There is a "wow!" factor when standing below it and looking up. It seems taller than it is due to being slender.

When the Pru went up in 1964, was it really the tallest building in the world outside NYC? I read that on wikipedia and if thats the case, its mind boggling how far behind Boston has fallen.

To be fair, I'd be happy with just one 1000 footer in the city (preferably in the financial district) even though I know that won't have with BOS so close by.

Tallest outside of NYC within North America. Tall building don't make for great cities in and of themselves. Boston was a cesspool in the 1960s. A hundred Prudential Towers wouldn't have changed that at the time.

Why can't I ever see BeeLine's photos? Just a blank post on any browser on my computer.

Can you see mine? I also post via flickr. Refer to the top of the previous page for a set.

By the way I see BeeLine's pictures fine, and see them fine on your quote.

^ that first pic it looks like you can juuuust see the first balcony. Looking at the render thats where it goes on that side and theres a slight dip. What will definitely show is if its on the other facade face as well which it looks like it is, but too hard to tell from that picture.

Stick;

to what balcony/significance are you referring?

Zoom to the highest floor of installed glass on the flickr image. Immediately to the left of the nearest Reuleaux vertex is a section of partial height glass. That looks like a semi enclosed balcony rail.

Stick n Move's postings show 12 balconies, including the first and last (double height); that glass work looks like the first, likely placing the one eleven floors higher behind the sheath.

Stick;

to what balcony/significance are you referring?
Yup^

Works best on a phone but zoom way in then look at the top layer of glass. On the right hand side of the top row of glass youll see what looks like a pane of glass missing, but its there its just a quarter height. That gap is the first of what will be 12 balconies. It will be very noticeable once the next row of glass is installed, but its there. Since you can see 11 floors starting at this balcony that means the final double height balcony and gap in the floorplate is under the yellow netting...which means the floors are topped off.

Edit:
In Boston02124’s top photo you can count all 12 floors, since the side on view has the gap in the yellow “netting”. Above that we’ll now see if the crown is 1 floor of steel with glass extending to another, 2 floors of steel attached to glass...who knows more concrete...etc. My vote is steel braces extending above the top concrete floor to hold the 2 floors of glass of the crown like Atlantic Wharf or Millennium tower.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter which browser - I use Chrome the most, but IE and Firefox do the same thing. I do not see any of BeeLine's pics. It only happens when Bee posts pictures.

@DZH22 - I see most of yours, but a lot of the times, your pics show up as links to Flickr, etc., rather than the picture.

I see all the images just fine. What browser are you using?

Can you see mine? I also post via flickr. Refer to the top of the previous page for a set.

By the way I see BeeLine's pictures fine, and see them fine on your quote.

I see both BeeLine's and DZH22's pics fine on all those browsers.

Sounds like a download security setting?

Yup^

Edit:
In Boston02124’s top photo you can count all 12 floors, since the side on view has the gap in the yellow “netting”. Above that we’ll now see if the crown is 1 floor of steel with glass extending to another, 2 floors of steel attached to glass...who knows more concrete...etc. My vote is steel braces extending above the top concrete floor to hold the 2 floors of glass of the crown like Atlantic Wharf or Millennium tower.

i see it now. looks like a total of 4 floors getting tallish glass including 2 mechanical levels.

That taller core level in the middle seems to indicate the top of the tower.

Got to wander around the Fenway yesterday for the first time in like four years... I miss that neighborhood!

And this being my first time up close with it, I'll also echo the comments that it has a very strong verticality. It's unapologetic in how it rises (sans setbacks) and how it declares itself on the skyline, yet the curves soften the blow considerably. It's both brawny and genteel. Me like!

42358142030_fa81c02b24_b.jpg

44118474942_82f70c7630_b.jpg

42358140770_240e56836e_b.jpg

44118473972_a575c62de5_b.jpg

43448378364_5cd06b2891_b.jpg

43448377404_f5328eabca_b.jpg

44118471772_e0af422b36_b.jpg

43448375444_f5aca6ccdf_b.jpg

44118470092_dcac3ed162_b.jpg

Back