Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

...I do wonder if the Sheraton could bump out and update its street level across from 1 Dalton.

With 1000 Boylston in the pipeline, Dalton St has a shot at becoming more active and urban in the years ahead. No matter what happens with the street presence of the Sheraton, the western wall of the Hynes remains as deadening as the open Pike parcel across the street; I don't know there's much that can be done about that.

Hotels don't have much incentive to reclad.

Though I do wonder if the Sheraton could bump out and update its street level across from 1 Dalton.

The incentive is maintenance. IIRC the cladding system on Copley Place had a design life of 40 years. We are rapidly approaching that age. At some point you have to reclad because the maintenance bills are too high (and recladding does not have to be all glass).

Boston's up to the minute population probably falls somewhere between 695,000~705,000. Figure in a few extended family members from everywhere, and it's a probably safe to estimate we've gone slightly over 700,000.

Plus Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Somerville added with commuters, tourists, and easily 1 million are in the area during the day.

It's too bad they can't implode the Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott and Westin hotels in this area. Ugly buildings that have not stood up the test time very well at all. Replace them with modern towers that are almost entirely glass.
There's something warm about the Sheraton. It just needs a little bit of love. Maybe a rooftop pool with some flags and a garden or two?

From Monday:
CxvC9D1.jpg

rhMkKS3.jpg

IYQxh3h.jpg

M4w6YPW.jpg

NHN5qZe.jpg

tDgRGgN.jpg

Boston is a much larger city than Nashville though unless you look at city proper population which doesn't give a good picture. Nashville's city proper is 504 square miles in land area. Boston's is only 48 square miles and Nashville as of the most recent population estimates is estimated to have 691,000 people compared to Boston's 685,000 people. If Boston included all the urbanized small cities nearby with densities greater than 8,000 people per square mile it would have a population of just over 1 million in only about 80 square miles.

I am not bashing Nashville I am just trying to illustrate that it isn't exactly surprising that Boston has a bigger skyline than Nashville which has a metro population closer to Providence than Boston.

Oh yeah I know all that. I was just pointing out that the Back Bay skyline alone is on par with the skyline of cities like Nashville, Louisville, St Louis, Indianapolis, etc. Those are all fairly decent sized cities.

Plus Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Somerville added with commuters, tourists, and easily 1 million are in the area during the day.

The number of commuters (for work, business) on a weekday is probably at least equal to the population of Boston - so another 700,000. Assuming 150,000 Bostonians work outside the city limits (just a guess), thats a net gain of 550K to the 700K that live in Boston = 1.25M.

If you add the suburbs that would actually just be neighborhoods of Boston in many other municipalities (Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Somerville, Chelsea, Revere, Quincy, Medford) that is probably another 500K right there.

So the average weekday "population" of Boston is probably close to 2 million.

Finally..

I like that the concrete makes the crown light blue too so its distinct and separate from the rest of the tower. It gives it a crown vs the facade just ending, thats better than the renders showed... nice.

Finally..

I like that the concrete makes the crown light blue too so its distinct and separate from the rest of the tower. It gives it a crown vs the facade just ending, thats better than the renders showed... nice.

i wan't some color to form the top edge. Not bright light.

Just some color. The top is too dark--like every other GD thing.

Why did architects compete to have the biggest and blankest concrete wall?

Remember that part of this (not saying all, but part) is that many such buildings were designed in a time when people were fleeing the city ("the city" writ large - deindustrialization), and streets were seen as crime-ridden hellholes (in many cases true). Interaction with the streets was shunned. People inside needed protection from the big, bad world outside.

They got the last few floors clad pretty quickly. Is the cladding complete now on all sides?

1 Dalton is a 3 sided building, right?

The last surprise on this thing will be the antenna has this thing been confirmed..? What is this going to look like and how will it change the dynamic of this building if at all?

Oh its definitely gonna change it. I hope its more a Hancock antenna where you dont notice it unless your looking, but well see. That is unless it looks good, then let it be known.

Back