Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Is that a credible claim?

I sincerely doubt that. Seems more like a PR move. Boston is not yet in a place where it would attract a buyer who would purchase so many units at once, it won't happen for a few more years.

And I also don't see how anyone would say "no" to cash for units in building that just broke ground. But if they truly are trying to sell units only to real "Bostonians", they are going to have a very hard time filling this building without selling to investors.

^You're comments are suspiciously like those of another member who comes in every so often as well.

I could also see it as a strategy to drive the price up for investors who are willing to pay for multiple units.

They were really working today on those secant pile walls. Drove up Dalton Street this afternoon and there were concrete trucks lined up from the site to Boylston Street.

I know we are all jaded from the Downtown crossing hole, but if you go to 1dalton construction updates website, it seems like they have actually done a lot of work on this project already and I don't see how they can turn back now

How about a construction update with some pix

There are pics from just a week and a half ago on the prior page. I highly doubt anything has changed in 10 days at this site.

I do have some new pics to post but there's no real noticeable progress here. However, there is a substantial hole materializing over at The Pierce (also got pics to post) so I'm guessing that one will be out of the ground first.

Wish there was more going on, but thanks for posting the pix.

Going back to the whole 699 ft/755 ft topic -- I know the FAA site seems to suggest the latter height and certain sites like SkyscraperPage have updated the height of 1 Dalton to reflect that (though I believe at the prodding of AB members, no?), but has there been any "official" confirmation of the change in height?

I imagine this most recent posting (below) culls from old data, but it still lists 1 Dalton at 699 ft (well, 698.8...).

http://skyrisecities.com/news/2015/12/construction-underway-bostons-next-tallest-residential-tower

Has any presumably reliable source (not saying the FAA isn't reliable, but so far we just have conclusions from folks here based on readings of FAA's filings putting the tower at 755') -- the city of Boston, Suffolk Construction, Pei Cobb Freed, etc. -- amended the previously/originally stated height of 699?

It just seems like a significant enough change -- if it's, indeed, happening -- that more would have been made of it, either by the developers or the media or both. It was big news when they officially began pre-construction/construction last January; I feel like an escalation in height of nearly 60 feet would at least get a mention in the Globe or Curbed or wherever.

Wish there was more going on, but thanks for posting the pix.

Going back to the whole 699 ft/755 ft topic -- I know the FAA site seems to suggest the latter height and certain sites like SkyscraperPage have updated the height of 1 Dalton to reflect that (though I believe at the prodding of AB members, no?), but has there been any "official" confirmation of the change in height?

I imagine this most recent posting (below) culls from old data, but it still lists 1 Dalton at 699 ft (well, 698.8...).

http://skyrisecities.com/news/2015/12/construction-underway-bostons-next-tallest-residential-tower

Has any presumably reliable source (not saying the FAA isn't reliable, but so far we just have conclusions from folks here based on readings of FAA's filings putting the tower at 755') -- the city of Boston, Suffolk Construction, Pei Cobb Freed, etc. -- amended the previously/originally stated height of 699?

It just seems like a significant enough change -- if it's, indeed, happening -- that more would have been made of it, either by the developers or the media or both. It was big news when they officially began pre-construction/construction last January; I feel like an escalation in height of nearly 60 feet would at least get a mention in the Globe or Curbed or wherever.

It's not a change. The tower always was 755' - the 699' figure didn't include the mechanical screen. If you look at the renders, they've always implied a structural height on par with or slightly higher than the Pru.

When the renders and height estimate came out, we speculated on here that the structural height of the building would be around 735' based on various things.

That's actually what I figured initially, but if so then why do the same articles which keep sticking with 699' as the total height also continue to reference how 1 Dalton will be the third tallest upon completion?

These are the same sites which, when discussing Millennium Tower, are giving that building it's full height -- including mechanical screen.

Doesn't seem odd to you?

That's actually what I figured initially, but if so then why do the same articles which keep sticking with 699' as the total height also continue to reference how 1 Dalton will be the third tallest upon completion?

These are the same sites which, when discussing Millennium Tower, are giving that building it's full height -- including mechanical screen.

Doesn't seem odd to you?

Millennium has been aggressively marketing MT as the full height of 685' making penthouse residents believe they are living 685' above the ground when they actually are only living 625'.

This developer simply has not been marketing 1 Dalton that way, only sticking to the 699' figure.

Well, you're making me feel more positive about the 755' height, so thanks for the insight and opinions.

Developer and marketing aside, though -- generally speaking (at least in what I've always run across), posted/projected heights for skyscrapers include the mechanical screen as a matter of course.

Maybe that's just more of an "after the fact" thing, once buildings are completely finished.

Well, you're making me feel more positive about the 755' height, so thanks for the insight and opinions.

Developer and marketing aside, though -- generally speaking (at least in what I've always run across), posted/projected heights for skyscrapers include the mechanical screen as a matter of course.

Maybe that's just more of an "after the fact" thing, once buildings are completely finished.

Zoned height is only to the highest occupied floor, so that's why the numbers are always lower at first.

This does seem to be especially prevalent in Boston though where it feels as though almost every developer uses zoned height until the construction is well underway then says oh by the way the actual height is ____. In other cities this doesn't seem quite as common and that might be because of Boston's "fear" of tall buildings.

The 1daltonconstruction website was recently updated. It looks like the foundation work will be done by the end of January, at which point excavation will begin.

The 1daltonconstruction website was recently updated. It looks like the foundation work will be done by the end of January, at which point excavation will begin.

Any guess as to when we will see the start of the great race [i.e. when some permanent part of the construction breaks the plane of the ground]

I made a rendering of the completed one dalton and copley tower using one of DHZ22's pictures.

Last edited:
Brings a tear to the eye but put your thumb and index finger over the two additions and see how anemic that Back Bay Skyline looks.

Brings a tear to the eye but put your thumb and index finger over the two additions and see how anemic that Back Bay Skyline looks.

For once Boston has enough going for it that an "anemic skyline" is a complete afterthought. I'll never live in Boston again because I can do better but the skyline has absolutely no bearing on the city's future standing.

For once Boston has enough going for it that an "anemic skyline" is a complete afterthought. I'll never live in Boston again because I can do better but the skyline has absolutely no bearing on the city's future standing.

Oh bless...

"You can do better", but still feel the need to comment. It's so hard saying good-bye, isn't it?

Back