Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Would I be assuming correctly that they will need to lay a mega foundation pad like they did for the MT?

Yes. This will have a mat slab like MT. They will install a secant wall, with piles tying into bedrock 150' below, along the perimeter of the site and then excavate down to -42'-0" and pour the mat slab.

Example of a secant wall foundation with mat slab:
secantpiles3.jpg

Thanks much data. I thought that would part of the reason for the verticality time delay.

thank you for posting that piece on secant walls, data.

as an aside, the Four Seasons Tower on the Boston Diagram on Skyscraper Page has been corrected to reflect it's appropriate height [slightly taller than the Pru].

I saw that today^ also they now show an outdated North station tower, also the Aquarium tower as proposed

Can projects this substantial be built without digging a big hole first? Same question applies to The Pierce. They are hammering steel into the ground but there hasn't been any digging on either of these projects.

Yes they can, but generally they don't; all in the name of underground parking. Pierce Boston's parking 'need' is being satisfied by taking a slice of parking from the adjacent Fenway Triangle Trilogy.

Not sure if this rendering has been posted or not, if it has then I apologize for the duplicate posts:

one-dalton-rendering-thumb.jpg

It's new to me! Look at that curved glass. What a beaut. Thanks, scorpio!

"Every unit will feature nearly 11-foot-high ceilings and fireplaces, and some units will have balconies. The slender, triangular-shaped building won't have corridors; the building will have three separate "cores," so residents will get off one of the two elevators and have one unit to the left and another to the right. Elevators will open directly into some units, and the three penthouses will all have direct elevator access, Friedman said. The 50th floor will feature a health club, dog washing, and a private restaurant for residents.

Despite the high price point, the developer expects at least three-quarters of the buyers will be Bostonians, avoiding the kind of "ghost" building of usually empty units more common in New York, London, and Miami Beach. Some overseas buyers have approached him wanting to buy blocks of five to 10 units, but he has refused to sell to anyone he perceives to be an investor only."

http://curbed.com/archives/2015/11/24/boston-condo-development-boom.php

It would be neat if true, but I wonder about the legal aspects of doing that, though I doubt 'foreign investor' is a protected class. I also wonder if it's just PR.

Sounds like PR / blowing smoke up someones ass.

I'm sure they can include occupancy covenants as part of a purchase. Even my first 3-unit association had rules about that written in - must be occupied by deeded owners for X amount of years, % occupancy required during a given year, limits to rentals and sub-lets, etc etc.

Curbed said:
In Boston, Friedman would only share that the Four Seasons has attracted a "Pulitzer-prize winning economist, serious academics or writers," and hedge-fund managers. "They want privacy," he said.

I know of no economist who has won a Pulitzer-prize; that's an award for journalists. The closest I can think of is Steven Pearlstein, who isn't an economist but won a Pulitzer for "his insightful columns that explore the nation's complex economic ills with masterful clarity". He also happens to be a local guy, raised in Brookline.

So much for privacy...

None of the hedge fund managers I know what any privacy.

I know of no economist who has won a Pulitzer-prize; that's an award for journalists. The closest I can think of is Steven Pearlstein, who isn't an economist but won a Pulitzer for "his insightful columns that explore the nation's complex economic ills with masterful clarity". He also happens to be a local guy, raised in Brookline.

So much for privacy...

Maybe they meant to say Nobel Prize?

Back