Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Per the CMP they're installing three levels of bracing, and excavating down to 42'. Just going by davec's pics, it looks like they have 2 levels of bracing installed on one corner, and one level on the other two. If you go back a few weeks before that they only had the one. So I'm going to guess that they have 3-4 weeks before the third level of bracing is installed, then (total guess) another month of so to complete excavation and prepare for the pour of the mat slab. . Once they start going vertical it's supposed to go at ~1 floor per week. You probably won't see anything above ground level until the end of this year or early next year

Bobthebuilder -- Based on your estimates for excavation -- the slab gets poured mid to late September and we are at ground level by end of October

Then if MT is the model? and we don't have a blockbuster early winter-- I would be willing to see you and raise you a handful of floors up by the end of the calendar year

BigPicture -- the Millennium Penthouse is precisely the Billionaire Market -- as a certified Billionaire Citizen of the Globe purchased the Penthouse

I think that Four Seasons near to the top is a Billionaire's market, as well as the nicer flats on the water in the Seaport / Innovation District

You are probably right that the rest are for mere Millionaires ;)

You are right that these few, that we can count on one hand, breach that market. But these onesy-twosey's don't really count: I remember someone from Millenium Partners stating in an interview that the penthouse "could always be broken up into multiple sellable units if need be". This is an entirely different ballgame than NYC: what is one supposed to do with a skinny-tower 110th floor private elevator unit in a bear market?

^ great find. From that view it appears that the excavation is approaching halfway done (1.5 levels of 3).

It looks like the garage entrance from the basement garage of Belvidere is complete. The photo was taken in the direction of the yellow arrow.

XsxTw3e.png

OO2OHMF.jpg

-dave

^ well that gives an idea of what they've been up to all these months. If i read it correctly, then behind the (temporary) gray wall at the back of the bottom photo, there is still digging going on...corresponds to the dashed line in the plan above?

What a stealthy interface to the underlying garage...very nice...one less sidewalk interruption with those horrid beeping "vehicle exiting" signs is much appreciated.

I didn't want to bump the copley thread out of nowhere so Ill post this here. There was a render just like this posted before but the copley tower wasn't high res and I adjusted 1 dalton for its new height of 755'. Its not perfect but until a development team releases a professionally done version this is the best we can do.

Last edited:
I didn't want to bump the copley thread out of nowhere so Ill post this here. There was a render just like this posted before but the copley tower wasn't high res and I adjusted 1 dalton for its new height of 755'. Its not perfect but until a development team releases a professionally done version this is the best we can do.

love it!

For the life of me, I'll never understand why they didn't make this 36' taller.

If only from a marketing standpoint ("Come live in the tallest building in New England!").

If only from a marketing standpoint ("Come live in the tallest building in New England!").

I ponder the same thought, and feel that this would have looked absolutely beautiful as a slender ~800 footer. Fantastic proportions.

At the same time, I have no doubt technical + economic considerations weren't trivial. They already added some height to the baseline. And this was one heckofa expensive foundation system. Engineering margins are real things; they could have run the numbers and they didn't have the margins to go higher without incurring the expense of necessary structural/foundation mods.

(Unless others think this was entirely a community relations thing and not structural/economic)

If only that 755' didn't include mechanicals. Oh well - maybe something else this boom will break 800'.

Does anyone know what the cost premium is to build taller. How lucrative are taller buildings for developers versus shorter high-rises?

Im kind of in a different boat on this one. Im glad it went as tall as it did because that doesnt happen in Boston, but I was honestly happy with the first iteration where it was the height of 111 huntington. The Pru and Hancock are in a straight line like a compass pointing towards the water and this parcel, 111, and copley are also a straight line off to the right. The back bay has a balance to it that somehow people dont seem to see, but its like two pillars that 93 goes directly between, storrow, and the pike. I think that perfectly balanced effect will be gone, but would have remained had this been shorter. I would have rather gotten the height where we need it downtown, but that is like pulling teeth so Ill just accept that were getting it here. Hopefully that made sense.

Back