Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Odd question: How does the load bearing work for these panels that they "snap on" to a building's frame? I assume that precast and stone facades are heavier/sq ft than pure glass, but I'm not sure I understand how they actually stay attached to the building (bolted on? several bolts along edges? does a panel carry any of the wight of the panels above it?).

How much does each of these panels weigh?

Odd question: How does the load bearing work for these panels that they "snap on" to a building's frame? I assume that precast and stone facades are heavier/sq ft than pure glass, but I'm not sure I understand how they actually stay attached to the building (bolted on? several bolts along edges? does a panel carry any of the wight of the panels above it?).

How much does each of these panels weigh?

Its all very easy. Not quite a snap though.

The frame is structured to received point-loads for the panels attached to the frame via welds or bolts. Usually there are two gravity attachments and two lateral force attachments per panel.

Precast heavier than glass? Certainly. Is it a problem? No. Is it more expensive if its heavier? Not necessarily if you take the material costs into account. Glass walls are very pricey ... where precast panels are cheap but need beefier structure.

What do they weight? More than a breadbox. That is to say ... I dont know ... but it is alot ... but not too much that a flat bed truck cant haul a couple at a time.

conventionally-reinforced concrete flat slab (not PT)

Yeah, seems to be the way things are done for tall residential these days; you get more ceiling height per floor and/or more floors per total height compared to steel. Steel still preferred for office due to the need for more flexibility and access to within-ceiling utilities, infrastructure (e.g., the flexibility of running things behind a drop ceiling; changing floor layouts periodically, etc).

Fine by me so long as the foundation is adequate for the substantial additional weight of the concrete structures. Not worried for One Dalton; this thing has a Ferrari foundation system.

^Also the concrete tends to be better soundproofing, floor to floor. Important for high-end residential.

MotoBuilder -- Same kind of concrete gear used for MT and Pierce? Perhaps the same company?

Not sure what Pierce was or who did it. MT was cast-in-place concrete, same as One & 30 Dalton. S & F Concrete did MT, did a fine job. G & C Concrete did 30 Dalton & is doing One Dalton. They did an impressive job on the 30 Dalton schedule: 28 floors in 20 weeks!

^Also the concrete tends to be better soundproofing, floor to floor. Important for high-end residential.

Yes I agree for sure. Also, the soundproofing between partitions is better because the drywall is tight to the flat concrete versus having to cope around the steel shapes between units.

zCBqbkn.jpg

^Thanks DaveC...nice...looks like they're pouring the sloped floors of the parking garage. Maybe in a few more weeks they'll emerge above street level!

i wonder when she rises out of the ground.... early/mid/late January??

^My guess is slightly before then. I guess just before the holiday break. They're pouring the garage floors, and they're now just starting on one of the middle levels...I think two more below-grade garage levels to go, then she rises...

Back