Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

I've seen renderings of the Dalton Tower.

you HAVE!!?!?!? wow, that's impressive -- since they haven't been available for public view for the past four years.

Typical modern Boston Skyscraper, boring and nondescript, but inoffensive.

boring and nondescript, but inoffensive -- so, in other words, w/o substance and adding nothing? like your comments.

it's going to be a really nice addition to the city and the skyline, despite needlessly negative commentary from chuckleheads

Now, now, cut him/her some slack they are brand new. What's odd though is most new members read this forum for a bit first before they start posting!

What I find interesting is that the 789' tall 64/story Four Seasons/Miami (only) :) cost $280 million to build in 2003. This one is $700 mil! Is ours that much more opulent, or is it labor costs that push it so high?

Many factors: 2003 vs. 2016; ours has a deep piles foundation; boston does have higher labor costs than miami; logistics were probably more challenging at this site...no one factor explains the cost difference

What I find interesting is that the 789' tall 64/story Four Seasons/Miami (only) :) cost $280 million to build in 2003. This one is $700 mil! Is ours that much more opulent, or is it labor costs that push it so high?

Many factors: 2003 vs. 2016; ours has a deep piles foundation; boston does have higher labor costs than miami; logistics were probably more challenging at this site...no one factor explains the cost difference

Miami's also looks like garbage compared to ours, so there's that. Miami is probably the shoddiest looking major city in the country, in terms of new construction. We have higher standards here.

Now, now, cut him/her some slack they are brand new. What's odd though is most new members read this forum for a bit first before they start posting!

Union labor will double the cost, that's the main difference.

therefore, we better get these skyscraper parcels done, lest the day comes when USA gets VE'd and Boston implodes.

The correct term is not "slurry walls", but I will use it. Some of the slurry walls went down over 150 feet. That took a long time. Union labor is not the problem; the site is the problem. This building will be very, very, well constructed, and probably be pretty attractive. It will not be VE'd, and it will take just as long as it needs to take to be built properly. As for labor costs....? ummm...they are the same for any other building in Boston. Just ask the union.

The correct term is not "slurry walls", but I will use it. Some of the slurry walls went down over 150 feet. That took a long time. Union labor is not the problem; the site is the problem. This building will be very, very, well constructed, and probably be pretty attractive. It will not be VE'd, and it will take just as long as it needs to take to be built properly. As for labor costs....? ummm...they are the same for any other building in Boston. Just ask the union.

Close! It's a secant pile wall.

secant1.png
CSP_uk.jpg

of the 3 sides of this trangular foundation footprint, the only part that is a secant wall for earth retention and water cutoff only is the side up against 101 Belvidere. All the LBEs, balance of the perimeter and the interior columns are all slurrywall.

will they do the same at the Harbor Garage when they attempt to do 9 or 10 stories of parking?

that is going to be 1 seriously insane hole.

"Close! It's a secant pile wall."
The definition of a secant is the ratio of the hypotenuse to the shorter side adjacent to an acute angle (in a right-angled triangle); the reciprocal of a cosine.

This is indeed a secant wall.

I was able to catch a glimpse into the hole a couple days ago. It's really tough for the average pedestrian though, as I had to disobey multiple signs to see it. Unfortunately it was dark and I only had my phone so I didn't bother taking any pictures.

We really need people with visual access to provide some new pictures here. While work is starting to go vertical in the hole, it's still too low to get a good view.

Where's davec when we need him? This is his month to shine!

Back