Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

She's really funny.

/well let's hope so.

[RE the new project]: It's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

Bob Loblaw

I wonder if detailed, human-scaled ground floors will ever come back in vogue in architecture.

SIGH! I couldn't have said it better. One reason why I dread the tearing down of the Shreve building and the proliferation of lifeless bank offices (cf Shreve II, formerly FAO Schwartz, now ANOTHER BOA).

I'm not normally for puncturing the streetwall for them but I'm in love with the porte-cochere in that first pic. The design is so sleek and elegant.

I'm not normally for puncturing the streetwall for them but I'm in love with the porte-cochere in that first pic. The design is so sleek and elegant.

Everything about the ground floor is too small for the scale of the building towering above it. I have to agree that there needs to be more ... human scaled spaces at the street level.

cca

But this is really a tiny footprint... I'm not sure what other types of ground floor amenities can really be expected. I personally like the detailing at ground level - someone above described it as "neo-Brutalist" I think.

This may be hard to describe, but I feel that the impact of this building will not be felt so much at the site of the tower itself as it will be throughout the neighborhood - added density, more people, more vibrancy, and - as an added bonus - another beacon on the skyline. There may be a time in the near-ish future where the Sheraton opens up street-level retailer across from this site. The long CSC building already is advertising a retail vacancy on its short side facing the Sheraton. Change here is possible, but if it happens it will be because this tower was a prompt, not because this tower was in itself transformative.

But this is really a tiny footprint... I'm not sure what other types of ground floor amenities can really be expected. I personally like the detailing at ground level - someone above described it as "neo-Brutalist" I think.

This may be hard to describe, but I feel that the impact of this building will not be felt so much at the site of the tower itself as it will be throughout the neighborhood - added density, more people, more vibrancy, and - as an added bonus - another beacon on the skyline. There may be a time in the near-ish future where the Sheraton opens up street-level retailer across from this site. The long CSC building already is advertising a retail vacancy on its short side facing the Sheraton. Change here is possible, but if it happens it will be because this tower was a prompt, not because this tower was in itself transformative.

Well stated on all points.

Although the base is a bit dull and some think there should be more retail, I think that it is ok to have minimal retail. The people living in this building may not want to wade through a shopping mall to get to their apartment.

Unsure what this is

DSC04463_zps354d6a91.jpg

DSC04464_zpsedde2358.jpg

Besides these two new buildings, is CSC planning any additional improvements to its space? More trees? More outdoor art? A reflecting pool that people could actually wade in?

Or maybe Boston's own version of the Pompidou Centre?
france_paris_stravinsky_fountain_by_jtinguely_at_george_pompidou_center_475GIM02019.jpg

There will be a public park as part of the development of the two parcels behind the CSC.

I walked by the site the other day and thought it is so small, if they really build a 700' foot building here it will be a new page for Boston development. We might actually have a "soaring" elegant building that NIMBYS, developers and politicians will like and repeat.

@Tocoto - I think with the existing hulk of CSC on one side, a Verizon building and 2 massive hotels on the other, there will be minimal neighborhood impact in my opinion. However, I am still certain that at some point all sorts of crazies will come out of the woodwork.

The project will also create a public park at the intersection of Dalton and St. Germain streets.

Traffic patterns around the development will also change as developers plan to extend Clearway Street to Belvidere Street. The high rise’s loading docks and parking garage entrance will be located off the extension of the two-way street.

A portion of Dalton Street from Belvidere Street to St. Germain Street, where the hotel entrance and valet will be located, will become one-way southbound.

The traffic plan also calls for lane on Belvidere Street to act as a through lane for vehicles turning right onto Dalton Street to avoid traffic delays caused by vehicles turning left to the hotel.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/back_bay/2013/08/developers_talk_christian_science_plaza_towers_proposal.html

This is going before the BRA today:

5:30 P.M.: Request authorization to approve the First
Amendment to Master Plan for PDA No. 80, Christian Science
Plaza; approve a Development Plan for the Eastern Portion of
for the Belvidere/Dalton Site for the construction of up to 300-
guestroom hotel and 250 residential units; and, approve a
Development Plan for the Western Portion of the
Belvidere/Dalton Site for a second building with up to 250
residential units; to approve the combined Project as a
Development Impact Project; and, to take all related actions.

http://bostonredevelopmentauthority... Board Meeting Agenda for 9-12-13 (draft).pdf

Back