Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

I should have said nothing contemporary. My arch. history II professor wouldn't be happy with me right now. >.>

Everything is contemporary to when it is built. Contemporary is not a style, it is a condition of circumstance.

cca

Which....is exactly the idea he was trying to get across?

The revised plan has Menino's support:

Menino also praised Boston’s Christian Science Church and Carpenter & Co.’s plan for the city’s third tallest building. The church and master developer Richard Friedman filed plans with the city for a nearly 1 million-square-foot development on its 15-acre plaza in the Back Bay. Under the plan, a pair of towers at Belvidere and Dalton streets will include a 712,500-square-foot hotel and condominium skyscraper at 691 feet or 49 stories, slightly shorter than the Prudential tower’s 52 floors. A second mid-rise would be a 237,500-square-foot apartment building at 285 feet. At 12 feet per floor, it would be about 24 stories.

“The tall tower will fit right in with the Prudential building next door,” Menino said. “The developer has worked with the community and the neighborhood has accepted it. We are going to go forward.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...take-on-four-cre-projects.html?ana=twt&page=2

Construction crew on the grassy triangle today!

I should have snapped a picture but didn't.

Not at all. I mean, very literally, a tool was being erected there.

Not at all. I mean, very literally, a tool was being erected there.

I hope they don't rush things.

If they take it slow and not try to finish prematurely, this project will have a happy ending.

There was a drilling company and crew on the site today. Soil testing? (Should have snapped a photo, I didn't...)

What's the status on this? Is it approved? Have the neighbors had their chance to birch about it?

The PNF is up: http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...lton Project/Belvidere-Dalton Project_PNF.pdf

Not a complete render of the 2 towers though.

o5cq.jpg

GLASS, MERCIFUL GLASS!
That said, the street level looks a little drab. Perhaps that could be remedied in the other building of this development? That stretch of Belvedere could really benefit from at least some retail space.

GLASS, MERCIFUL GLASS!
That said, the street level looks a little drab. Perhaps that could be remedied in the other building of this development? That stretch of Belvedere could really benefit from at least some retail space.

I feel like the base is neo-brutalism, at least in materials and the treatment of the windows. Which makes sense considering the site's context.

GLASS, MERCIFUL GLASS!

On a site this small, there may just not be any room for retail with the multiple lobbies they want to do.

Whoa, BIG pdf @140MB. Base could use some work.

On a site this small, there may just not be any room for retail with the multiple lobbies they want to do.

The hotel lobby seems to have a cafe that they imagine spilling out to the sidewalk.

They also seem to be proposing two very bizarrely-shaped elevators (H4, H5) in the lobby too in the middle of the grand staircase.

I dug through the PDF and found a full-building drawing of each project. But yeah, that's a huge file.

Also: There is retail in the mid-rise, so that's good. Space considerations make sense in the high-rise.

Midrise:

Highrise:

I'm not sure how well it can be seen here, but there's definitely some sort of crenelated screen going in at the top. Looks like a pretty stout building from the right (profile) angles.

Last edited:

Highrise:

This is not a properly proportioned building for our city! It's too tall for the area and will stick out! Double the width and halve the height!!! Then it will truly Boston-soar!!!

Even better, let's get rid of the reflecting pool and replace it with a 100' tall building the size of a football field.

I dug through the PDF and found a full-building drawing of each project. But yeah, that's a huge file.

Also: There is retail in the mid-rise, so that's good. Space considerations make sense in the high-rise.

Midrise:

Highrise:

I'm not sure how well it can be seen here, but there's definitely some sort of crenelated screen going in at the top. Looks like a pretty stout building from the right (profile) angles.

Boo, bait and switch. The color rendering has beautiful, graceful curved corners and the black and white is all square corners with a round bulge in the middle of the long wall.

Back