Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Re: Christian Science Church Center Renovation/ New Towers

Will CSC be able to get 2 towers, especially one that is almost 700 ft past the community groups? I can imagine some people in the neighborhood having a complete meltdown over this.

Will CSC be able to get 2 towers, especially one that is almost 700 ft past the community groups? I can imagine some people in the neighborhood having a complete meltdown over this.

Does the CSC have absolute authority over it's plaza? If they do, and the neighborhood starts whining and I was the one in charge i'd start talking about closing the plaza for "security reasons".

Besides the CSC plaza, I don't think there's anything historic in the area. Since the CS loons own the plaza, I'm betting they won't have to worry about their neighbors complaints.

Besides the CSC plaza, I don't think there's anything historic in the area. Since the CS loons own the plaza, I'm betting they won't have to worry about their neighbors complaints.

The western edge of the Back Bay a block away?

^name the historic buildings and parks that will be affected and maybe I think you'll have an argument, 'ol chap.

Downburst, if you have time can you turn on shadows on your model and get some shots during the summer and winter solstice (June/December 21) please? I'm curious how far the shadow will extend northward and if it will impact the Back Bay.

There's a difference between people whining about it, and those whines becoming political power. The former will always happen. The latter needs certain circumstances, which I don't think this project will create.

Symphony Hall? Not that it matters. If nimby's want to complain, they'll complain. Not having a valid complaint has never stopped them.

Symphony Hall and the Horticulture Society building are far enough away from this 700' tower site that I wouldn't be concerned about NIMBY-talk from them. Historic considerations aside for a moment, I think the parties that should be most concerned are the Sheraton & Hilton hotels on Belvidere Street and what affect building this tower and the other next to it would have on service to their drop-off areas.

Symphony Hall? Not that it matters. If nimby's want to complain, they'll complain. Not having a valid complaint has never stopped them.

Quoted for truth.

^name the historic buildings and parks that will be affected and maybe I think you'll have an argument, 'ol chap.

I strongly suspect the shadow mob will have something to say about the historic Tennis and Raquet Club at 939 Boylston Street. Chap.

And now that I've made my snarky point, chap, let's also talk about the BFD/BAC at the top of Dalton, shadows touching the Comm Ave boulevard (a big no-no!), that monstrosity at the corner of Hereford and Comm Ave that always seems to sorta be for sale, impact on views from Parcels 12-15, the Pru, Sheraton and Hilton (traffic patterns and construction mitigation), Clearway and St Germain neighbors, plus the people who live in the Belvidere.

So how 'bout 'dem apples?

They have some work to do with us in the neighborhood. It's not a slam dunk yet.

That post had a whole lot of nothing. You and your NIMBY kru don't have a chance against the CS loons.

Maybe they should put in one of these in the ground floor

crazy-loon-saloon.jpg

The question is, who is going to get the "Ned Flaherty - Columbus Center" NIMBY award here?

That post had a whole lot of nothing. You and your NIMBY kru don't have a chance against the CS loons.

Seriously? I never said I was against it.* I'm also certainly not a NIMBY, and I don't believe that because I own a plaza south of a project that I won't have issues with shadows.**

You're "betting" the church can impose its will on the neighborhood "with nothing historic" with no complaints, and it's just not true. Either part. There is civic interest (continued success of the FCCS campus) and personal interest (how will this affect me) in play here.

NABB will get their pound of flesh. The city will get concessions--- where the church maintains the restored Clearway and St Germain as a private way or something. Samuels+Weiner have been awarded Parcels 12/15 and will certainly have something to say about shadow impact on their project at Boylston/Dalton.

Those who live on Clearway and St. Germain are generally slightly older and more wealthy than the slums west of Mass Ave, and they'll have access and noise concerns. Ditto for those in the Belvidere (who are filthy fucking rich).

* Harley and Barbara have my support for the project, go figure!
** Shadows don't fall south.

I don't care what they do, as long as they don't mess with the reflecting pool.

Back