Future Skyline

DB, Don't stress out. This is great stuff, so take your time and enjoy the process. The ab lurkers will just have to be patient. Let them salivate a bit, it will do them good.

Homer drool

Last edited:
Really fantastic stuff. I'm amazed by the extent to which the Millennium tower stands out.

I'm amazed by the extent to which the Millennium tower stands out.

Yeah really. It's barely any taller than plateau-level but it sticks up and out just enough that it could really pull the Charles River view together like never before.

I knew I wasn't the only nerd keeping track of this stuff in Sketchup. This is a very rough massing model I've been maintaining of a lot of the new proposals (grey) in the pipeline:

Today:

Tomorrow?

wow the skyline will be 100x better when all of these are complete

I've now completed the Congress Street Garage Redevelopment, the TD Garden Towers (with the tallest assumed at 440' and potentially to 600'), the Nashua Street Residences (assuming 38 storeys at 9' a floor for approx. 350'), and the TD Garage Redevlopment (at 310' and 240').

I think I'm going to tackle the SST next, and then perhaps some dead projects for the fun of it (Aquarium Towers, old Trans National Place plans, Columbus Center, etc.) There's also the Seaport but all of the cuboid stubs are going to make me unhappy.

I tried to get two of each view for the tall and shorter scenario of the TD Garden Towers.
Enjoy!

From East Boston:
Short

Tall

From Back Bay:
Short

Tall

From the Zakim:
Short

Tall

Also:
Skywalk Observatory

Short

Tall

Longfellow Bridge Area:
Short

Tall

Going into Logan:

If anyone has any requests/suggestions for buildings/angles I'm still open for them!

Beautiful job, downburst. I notice in that last shot that Atlantic Wharf doesn't have a 3D model yet on google earth. If you put in South Station Tower, can you also please put Atlantic Wharf in there just for perspective of the massing?

Also, Fenway Center is a GO, so I'd be curious to see what effect (if any) that has on the skyline. Some others to consider:
- The air rights parcels by Mass Ave & Boylston (isn't there a 30-something floor hotel proposal in the triangle by Dalton Street?)
- Northeastern Master Plan (you can go to the NUIMP thread for details on each bldg; I put them up last week)
- Wentworth Master Plan
- Boylston West (corner of Kilmanrock & Boylston Street, AKA the Super Target site)
- Abbey apartment building at corner of Jersey St. & Boylston Street (1280 Boylston I think)
- The Point Fenway (flatiron parcel at Boylston & Brookline Ave, D'Angelo's site)

Sorry, I'm a sucker for the Fenway neighborhood. :)

Downburst.....well done. Just so you know, Nashua Street Residences is 440' for the new proposal.

Probably wouldn't make a major impact on any of these, but looks like Atlantic Wharf is not in there.

Cool stuff downburst. Thanks again for doing this. If you're going to add things like SST, Aquarium Towers, etc. would it be possible to color code by a projects likelihood (e.g., green massings are under construction, yellow is approved, red is proposed). If that's a pain in the ass, tell me to pound sand because I wouldn't know how to do any of this.

That's actually a great idea, AFL- I'll get on that soon.

Thanks for all of the other projects, guys- this will keep me busy.

Again, amazing work Downburst. It would be so great if we got all these projects haha.

With a few more buildings in the West End, we could be looking at a third skyline for the city! Kind of weird to think about it, but if the development picks up there, it could become a viable neighborhood with more to offer than just Mass General and the Garden.

It isn't. But I gather he's assuming that Northpoint is just out of the frame to the left.

My "request" was going to be the 20 story Northpoint tower, but I didn't want to overload downburst. I'm interested to see if it feels like the skyline is extending into Cambridge.

Downburst, you did an amazing job at projecting such a realistic view of what the skyline will most likely become. Thank you very much, and keep up the great work!

I want to specifically comment on the future skyline views from the Northwest. I have been most curious about what this would like given 2 things.
(1) A new crop of tall buildings that are significantly further northwest from downtown would dramatically change the FD view.
(2) IMO, the FD's skyline looks weakest (not bad though) from 93S.

I've now completed the Congress Street Garage Redevelopment, the TD Garden Towers (with the tallest assumed at 440' and potentially to 600'), the Nashua Street Residences (assuming 38 storeys at 9' a floor for approx. 350'), and the TD Garage Redevlopment (at 310' and 240').

I think I'm going to tackle the SST next, and then perhaps some dead projects for the fun of it (Aquarium Towers, old Trans National Place plans, Columbus Center, etc.) There's also the Seaport but all of the cuboid stubs are going to make me unhappy.

I tried to get two of each view for the tall and shorter scenario of the TD Garden Towers.
Enjoy!

From the Zakim:
Short

Tall

Back