Gardner Museum Expansion | Fenway

Re: Gardner Museum to undertake $60 million expansion

...could another architect have done a better job?
Of course. How about Louis Kahn?

Have you actually seen an intelligible drawing of Piano's addition?

Or is "the job," the trustees' decision to grow the institution, the real problem?
Don't know, since I don't know what institution is being selected for growth. Some should grow, and some should stay preserved in amber. Have you seen Philip Johnson's tiny Dumbarton Oaks Pre-Columbian Gallery in Georgetown? When you achieve near-perfection, you can neither add nor subtract.

Sorry about the subtractions that took place at the Gardner twenty-or-so years ago. Now we'll likely have the additions to regret.

But I?m glad some folks who?ve posted in this thread clearly understand the Gardner?s magic.

And Fenway Park could have done much, much worse.

No doubt.

Of course. How about Louis Kahn?

Indeed. Piano seems to understand light, and how to get it into a gallery. He's the go-to guy for museums. Who else is there? Safdie? Machado & Silvetti?

Have you actually seen an intelligible drawing of Piano's addition?

I haven't. In the world of architectural rendering, Piano is a sketch-artist. He's no Paul Rudolph.

Don't know, since I don't know what institution is being selected for growth.

The group I'm involved with plays chamber music, and is ensemble-in-residence at MIT. Obviously, we don't own a building so it's not the same thing.

Have you seen Philip Johnson's tiny Dumbarton Oaks Pre-Columbian Gallery in Georgetown?

I've not visited Dumbarton Oaks, but I've seen photos of Johnson's pavilion. It has the gravitas of Kahn, and a form that recalls a Minoan ruin.

A lot of what's being discussed here reminds me of a 2003 lecture by then-Director of the Harvard Art Museums, James Cuno, that I attended at the Radcliffe Institute. Cuno's take on the evolution of museums into what he called "discursive space" was generally one of disdain for growth and broadening the audience. Suffice it to say, he didn't like the idea of bikers at the Guggenheim.

Ironically here's a talk with him about Piano's addition to Chicago's Art Institute.

Random thoughts:

1) I haven't seen a clear rendering, but I hope when I do it is clearly better than the one I have seen. BPL, Part Deux?

2) The Athenaeum business is disturbing. I've been a member for, well, a very long time. They wrecked the place when the renovated and expanded 15 or so years ago. You used to be able to pick up a magazine and nap in peace. The tea and biscuits were crap, but at least it wasn't a "social experience" with fees and reservations. The old ladies smelled and old gents drooled, but if you went to an upper floor, the laws of gravity and chance of stroke kept them on the lower levels. And it was all too dull for anyone to want to even look in. Now everyone is so wretchedly enthusiastic. It sickens me.

3) These institutions had a nice little thing going. Then someone comes along with a bright aidea of fixing the place up. Not just a touch of paint, or scraping the parrot shit out of the corner, mind you. No. New HVAC and electronic this and that. Keeping with the times. So, what happens? You need all sort of new members to fill all the new space, justify all of the expenses, pay for the expansion and upkeep as it were. Makes me want to puke.

It is the very phenomenon that has ruined gun ownership. Used to be that you could go out and blast the old shooting stick, have a bit of fun with the other sportsmen, assassinate the odd duck now and then. But now since Obama, everyone wants one. And now that every Dick, Tom and Harry has them, they have to come up with a reason for owning guns. So all of a sudden, its all about "oh, the terrorists are everywhere" and taking care of "security" and "stopping power". Sales of camoflage gear go up, sales of shaving cream and tooth paste go down.

Its all tail wagging the dog, if you ask me.

No doubt.Indeed. Piano seems to understand light, and how to get it into a gallery. He's the go-to guy for museums. Who else is there? Safdie? Machado & Silvetti?
I know a lot of people here hate on Safdie, but if there's one thing he learned well by working under Kahn, it would be how to successfully use light in architecture.

P.S. Athenaeum membership was always open to one who had either a serious scholarly interest, or had a serious interest in nothing at all.

Piano seems to understand light, and how to get it into a gallery.
That?s good unless a gallery can benefit from dusky shadows --which was certainly the case with the Morgan. That place was as atmospherically gloomy as its namesake's mustache. I think I recall coal dust in the (now COMPLETELY expunged!) corridor to the living quarters; this is where the Pinkerton men could get a straight shot at the guy who didn?t belong.

He's the go-to guy for museums. Who else is there?
http://www.johnsimpsonarchitects.com/palace/palace_17.html

The group I'm involved with plays chamber music, and is ensemble-in-residence at MIT. Obviously, we don't own a building so it's not the same thing.
Inspired by Paul Winter, I?ve long thought an ensemble like this would be perfect if the members could play diverse instruments as the demand arose --strings, wind or percussion. Here?s a group to rattle your cage: right after the applause dies down for their scintillating rendition of Mendelssohn?s [all string] "Octet", they grab an alternative set of instruments for a resounding take on "Sing, Sing, Sing!"

I've not visited Dumbarton Oaks, but I've seen photos of Johnson's pavilion. It has the gravitas of Kahn, and a form that recalls a Minoan ruin.
It?s a modernised Turkish Bath.

A lot of what's being discussed here reminds me of a 2003 lecture by then-Director of the Harvard Art Museums, James Cuno, that I attended at the Radcliffe Institute. Cuno's take on the evolution of museums into what he called "discursive space" was generally one of disdain for growth and broadening the audience. Suffice it to say, he didn't like the idea of bikers at the Guggenheim.
You might enjoy ?Elegy? with Ben Kingsley, Penelope Cruz and a now-geriatric Dennis Hopper.

I'm sorry to have missed the Morgan before Piano's addition. A decade ago, a college classmate had her wedding at The University Club. It had something of the vibe you describe.

In a similar vein, I'm planning a trip out west, and my lovely assistant wants to see the Getty. I don't know that visiting it will provide any explanation why a New Yorker was charged with designing a campus of Modernist buildings in a city that has been a laboratory of Modernism. Albert Frey, John Lautner, and Pierre Koenig were all alive when the commission was awarded...

You've posted a link to Simpson before. Stunning craftsmanship. I'm not sure that a copy of the Palace next to the Palace would work.

...after the applause dies down for their scintillating rendition of Mendelssohn?s [all string] "Octet", they grab an alternative set of instruments for a resounding take on "Sing, Sing, Sing!"

Gunther Schuller did something like this about 15 years ago with the Handel & Haydn Society (there some Old Boston for you), juxtaposing The Brandenbergs with Duke Ellington. It was pretty friggin' cool.

The Athenaeum business is disturbing. I've been a member for, well, a very long time. They wrecked the place when the renovated and expanded 15 or so years ago. You used to be able to pick up a magazine and nap in peace. The tea and biscuits were crap, but at least it wasn't a "social experience" with fees and reservations. The old ladies smelled and old gents drooled, but if you went to an upper floor, the laws of gravity and chance of stroke kept them on the lower levels. And it was all too dull for anyone to want to even look in. Now everyone is so wretchedly enthusiastic. It sickens me.
LMFAO

These institutions had a nice little thing going. Then someone comes along with a bright aidea of fixing the place up. Not just a touch of paint, or scraping the parrot shit out of the corner, mind you. No. New HVAC and electronic this and that. Keeping with the times. So, what happens? You need all sort of new members to fill all the new space, justify all of the expenses, pay for the expansion and upkeep as it were. Makes me want to puke .
And even more.

P.S. Athenaeum membership was always open to one who had either a serious scholarly interest, or had a serious interest in nothing at all.
Hope you?re in the second category.

Somehow, very impressive. I?ve only ever known one other member.

If I lived in Boston, I?d try to join. Where I live, there?s Starbucks.

The Athenaeum business is disturbing. I've been a member for, well, a very long time. They wrecked the place when the renovated and expanded 15 or so years ago. You used to be able to pick up a magazine and nap in peace. The tea and biscuits were crap, but at least it wasn't a "social experience" with fees and reservations. The old ladies smelled and old gents drooled, but if you went to an upper floor, the laws of gravity and chance of stroke kept them on the lower levels. And it was all too dull for anyone to want to even look in. Now everyone is so wretchedly enthusiastic. It sickens me.

Sarcasm? Semi-sarcasm?

I've been looking for a place where no one would bug me, and I could be alone to read, draw, think, eat, drink, sleep, or whatever (why is that such an odd thing to do?). Seems like I should look at the upper levels of 10 1/2 Beacon Street. For now, the basement in my McMiniMansion will just have to do, because libraries are full of loud, prepubescent kids perusing and doodling comics of hermaphrodite ninjas.

Bates Hall at the BPL is a good place for the old-fashioned "Quiet please, this is a library" experience.

I don't think the Green Line runs all the way to St. Louis, but I'll be sure to check it out the next time I'm in Boston. I've yet to visit the central branch of the St. Louis County Library, but my experience with the branches has been poor thus far. Perhaps Wash. U. has a public library?

If you go to Washington University, surely they have a university library for you to use?

Private universities don't tend to take too kindly to people from off the street. I have to endure bag searches at Harvard's main library, and I'm enrolled there.

Private universities don't tend to take too kindly to people from off the street. I have to endure bag searches at Harvard's main library, and I'm enrolled there.
Try MIT, they just let anyone waltz in

as do BU and Northeastern and Tufts, I believe. Harvard is an outlier here.

I'm pretty sure none of the university libraries in New York do. MIT, BU, NEU and Tufts sound like they have surprisingly low security libraries...why has no one told the homeless?

Well if a homeless guy dozes off in MIT's library, he'd likely wake up on top of the dome...

I don't think the Green Line runs all the way to St. Louis, but I'll be sure to check it out the next time I'm in Boston. I've yet to visit the central branch of the St. Louis County Library, but my experience with the branches has been poor thus far. Perhaps Wash. U. has a public library?

St. Louis? That surely requires a trip on commuter rail. :p

Back