Gardner Museum Expansion | Fenway

Re: Gardner Museum to undertake $60 million expansion

Do they have any better renderings or a campaign film like the MFA had for their expansion?

Mr. Kennedy
OLD uncle saying HE read you look at Kansaws St. und if that being so it have BEST mitiltaryhistories depotments in all AMERICAN schule outside the Westerly points.

Clarification: I do not go to Washington University, nor was I accepted. I halfway applied, and subsequently decided it wasn't worth it, considering the only reason I would have been accepted was due to "connections" (very loose ones, at that).

Sorry to sound so snarky. I meant that Wash. U. might have something like MIT, Tufts, BU, etc., a library open to the public.

Last edited:

kennedy, here's a thought: why waste your time and money with expensive second-tier private schools when you can have the best for free?

If you're poor enough, all you need to get free tuition at an Ivy League school is to get accepted.

Do your research, pick your target, and do what you need to score a bull's-eye.

Good call Ablarc.
And Kennedy, while you're up, ... cure cancer .... build a time machine .... and create one of those virtual sex robots the Japanese have been working on for 20 years.

kennedy, here's a thought: why waste your time and money with expensive second-tier private schools when you can have the best for free?

If you're poor enough, all you need to get free tuition at an Ivy League school is to get accepted.

Unfortunately, it's a tad bit too late for that. I'm pretty sure I'm poor enough to qualify for the Harvard 10% rule, but my grades and tests aren't at that caliber. I agree though, too many of my friends go to those second tier schools, and pay exorbitant tuition for an education that isn't a whole lot better than public school. I'm aiming for getting in-state tuition at KU (available to students from MO who are accepted to architecture), getting my B.Arch. dressed up as an M.Arch in five years while working my ass off, and getting into the GSD for D.Des. or M.A.U.D. or something like that.

I am confused, as I thought you moved from Boston to St. Louis in order to attend Washington University.

I am confused, as I thought you moved from Boston to St. Louis in order to attend Washington University.

I moved from Boston to St. Louis in order for my dad's job, when I was halfway through high school. I'll be going to college somewhere this Fall, but not at Wash. U. I think though, that I'll take it as a compliment that you thought I was a Wash. U. student.

So, yeah, sorry for any confusion.

I'm aiming for getting in-state tuition at KU (available to students from MO who are accepted to architecture), getting my B.Arch. dressed up as an M.Arch in five years while working my ass off, and getting into the GSD for D.Des. or M.A.U.D. or something like that.
Sounds like a plan.

My daughter chose this route. Headstrong but also wise, she skipped all Ivy League offers due to inexplicable self-doubts. She's now ensconced at a state university with student loans that will see her through a second-tier education.

Not the best, but certainly good enough.

Mr. Kennedy
OLD uncle saying HE read you look at Kansaws St. und if that being so it have BEST mitiltaryhistories depotments in all AMERICAN schule outside the Westerly points.

I don't know about the military history department at K. State, but their architecture is certainly ranked very high, at #6 in the rankings. Unfortunately, the rankings mean next to nothing. A K. State education is essentially an advanced drafting and construction class at a vocational school. Or maybe I'm just being snobby and cynical.

I mean, if we're talking architecture, what abut Cooper Union? It's "free as air and water"

... and as hard to get into as a nun's pants.

Well that's no reason not to try

also: don't forget to take a look at Canadian universities. There are some good deals to be found.

Last edited:

I mean, if we're talking architecture, what abut Cooper Union? It's "free as air and water"

Funny you should mention it, I got my home test yesterday. Thing is rather cryptic.

... and as hard to get into as a nun's pants.

Just have to figure out what they're looking for and adapt your answers/works to it.

Pup,

I see that you've already been given a lot of good advice. I'll add my 2 centimes anyway.

First, you don't have to go to school next year. The old middle class model of seamless life transitions from cradle to grave has broken down. Take a year off, and do something interesting. Life doesn't end at high school graduation or begin with university matriculation. Parenthetically, I've often wondered if swanky schools preferred people who took that year and washed elephants for a living, or apprenticed on some archeological dig. I didn't do it, but would if I had a do-over.

I've always greatly admired Northeastern's integration of school and work with its coop programs. (Pity about the campus architecture, though.)

Second, if you find a school that you like, but later discover that it wasn't what you had hoped for, work hard, get good grades, and transfer out to a place that you'd like better. You might surprize yourself: during the hard work prepping for a transfer, the school you are at might really grow on you!

Third, after a few years in the work force, the relative value of one school as opposed to another is open to question. All those years ago I chose my college because I liked its very pleasing collegiate architecture. It cost my parents a boatload. Yet today, my colleagues and employees who hold degrees from so-called "lesser" institutions make very good money indeed. So a cost-benefits analysis does not not justify the choice I made.

Finally, my 16 year old nephew has been quizzing me a lot about schools. His thought is to get into the best state school he can manage, and then put his major economic effort into paying for the very best grad school he can get into. I can't say he is wrong! But I am also glad that it it is his decision, not mine!

Good luck, young Kennedy. You are a bright lad entering an exciting time!

Toby

I'm with Toby...the year off is a great idea. I'd do it if I had the chance to go round again

^Me too. Sage advice, Toby. You're pretty wise for a basset hound.

I'm not rebellious enough to do that: I want to get to college ASAP. The prospect of having to start this college application process all over again is incredible depressing, no matter how many elephants I wash nor how many fossils I uncover (okay, maybe discover a new species of dinosaur would be worth it).

Mods, this discussion has gotten a bit beyond the issue of finding a proper library space. Being a matter of incredible importance to myself, I'd like it to continue, but I hate to be stealing all of Isabella's glory when they're paying $60m for it!

This was in the business section in the Boston Capital column, which is why the emphasis is on money.

Boston Globe - January 29, 2009
Nurturing the Gardner

By Steven Syre, Globe Columnist | January 29, 2010

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum put on a big show for more than 100 guests last week, unveiling architect Renzo Piano?s design for the $118 million, four-story wing under construction next to its famous original palazzo.

Meanwhile, an entirely different accomplishment by the Gardner has received practically no attention, but should matter a great deal to museum visitors and patrons alike. In a time of shrinking nonprofit endowments, the Gardner did much better than most institutions in protecting its money, and saved everyone millions.

Endowment losses are big news on college campuses across the country.

A study of 842 colleges and universities released this week showed the average endowment shrank by 23 percent during the one-year period ended June 30.

Harvard University?s endowment, the largest in the nation, plunged by nearly 30 percent, to $25.7 billion, in the last fiscal year.

Investment losses were the chief culprits behind the shrinkage of America?s university endowments during that period, when the Standard & Poor?s 500 stock index plunged 26 percent.

The same market pressure was squeezing the endowments of other nonprofits, including Boston museums that are in the midst of an unprecedented building boom.

Major new museum additions depend mostly on special capital campaigns and borrowed funds to pay the bills. But no one wants to explain why the endowment lost a bundle while nine-figure budgets are being committed to construction.

The Museum of Fine Arts, set to open a massive new wing of its own this year, says its endowment fell from $538 million to $409 million during the last fiscal year. The MFA calls that a 21 percent decline, but my calculator says the endowment shrank 24 percent.

The more modest Gardner can?t compare with the MFA as a financial powerhouse. That fact explains a lot about why the Gardner lost a considerably smaller percentage of its money when markets around the world tumbled. Fortunate timing and a relatively conservative investment approach were both tied to a sense that the museum was in no position to lose a lot of its money.

Still, the Gardner did lose some during the last fiscal year; the endowment?s investment losses were about 16 percent. Those losses, while very real, look impressive compared with the market?s decline.

The Gardner was also collecting millions in contributions for its expansion plan but kept those funds invested separately, in money market funds. The idea of keeping important short-term money safe might seem like a no-brainer, and it?s standard policy at many nonprofits. But Harvard managed to lose $1.8 billion in the last fiscal year by investing routine operating funds with its plunging endowment.

The Gardner endowment, at $84 million last summer, has its money in a combination of stocks, bonds, hedge funds, and a modest position in private equity. The board?s investment committee and its advisers at Cambridge Associates began to turn more conservative about two years ago.

Here?s why: As a smaller museum with a limited gate, the Gardner depends on its endowment for about 40 percent of its operating budget. A big investment loss could have a serious impact on the entire museum, and the board was worried about a stock market correction. The investment shift wasn?t dramatic, but it saved big money.

Like most nonprofits, the Gardner has seen its endowment recover a lot since last summer. But the museum?s managers did their best work by limiting losses in the middle of a scary market last year.

Steven Syre is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at syre@globe.com.

Back