Gardner Museum Expansion | Fenway

Re: Gardner Museum to undertake $60 million expansion

For a half second I thought the first shot was of the Greenway.

I don't know if that says worse things about the Greenway or that useless extension of the Back Bay Fens that sits outside the Gardner.

That isn't useless. I lived on Evans Way for a year and we used that lawn all the time, more so than the actual Fens (where we just smoked pot). The lawn would work better if the MasArt tower wasn't so fucking terrible.

Except you would have just used the Fens, for more than smoking pot, if the lawn weren't there. It makes no sense for both this park and the Fens to be so empty all the time when this is prime land in / near Longwood.

That park used to have a better connection to the Fens from Huntington Avenue prior to the Mass Art tower truncating the land. It was one of the original grand gateways design by Olmsted's office which, pretty much like all the other entrances to the Fens, had it's grandeur obliterated by neglect and road reconfigurations. It's almost fitting that the Gardner Museum would also have a similar reconfiguration, although at least in its case for a far more noble cause.

The Mass Art tower originally belonged to the now-defunct Boston State College, I think.

^ And Roxbury Community College as well.

That isn't useless. I lived on Evans Way for a year and we used that lawn all the time, more so than the actual Fens (where we just smoked pot). The lawn would work better if the MasArt tower wasn't so fucking terrible.

Haha, same!

^ditto

Gardener.jpg

Construction progress, Oct 2010;

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_a.jpg

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_d.jpg

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_e.jpg

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_b.jpg

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_f.jpg

gardner_expansion_oct_2010_c.jpg

this seems to be going up realy fast.

I think a lot of people are going to be left scratching their heads, at least as far as the exterior goes, about this addition when it's complete. This is the impression I got after seeing the current state of this addition. Perhaps there's a good reason we never got a good rendering of this. Maybe there isn't one. But who knows, maybe the interior sings.

I think a lot of people are going to be left scratching their heads, at least as far as the exterior goes, about this addition when it's complete. This is the impression I got after seeing the current state of this addition. Perhaps there's a good reason we never got a good rendering of this. Maybe there isn't one. But who knows, maybe the interior sings.

Trying to rationalize leaving the bar severely inebriated at last call with whatever looked good and easy at the time?

I think a lot of people are going to be left scratching their heads, at least as far as the exterior goes, about this addition when it's complete. This is the impression I got after seeing the current state of this addition.

Ditto on all counts. Your photos capture this very well.

Moving right along... from today:

5284202326_3d43d39565_b.jpg

5284203356_c9427ece6c_b.jpg

5284202642_4751b932ba_b.jpg

5283605099_11e94ba71f_b.jpg

5283605853_3600993e42_b.jpg

5283606257_f50725b15b_b.jpg

5283606617_1840cb88cf_b.jpg

5283607191_4d44d511c0_b.jpg

5284205464_14ae164a38_b.jpg

The garish color scheme alone already screams DISASTER!

Reminds me of that new office building in Allston by Staples, what with the same much-too-red red and puky sea foam green.

Last edited:

kz1000ps

We are richer because of your presence! Thank you for the photos!

Thanks MMC, I appreciate it!

I have to say, Piano does nothing for me. Can someone remind me why, again, he is a starchitect? :confused: Just as in Atlanta with the addition to the High Museum, it seems his strong suit these days seems to be boxy spaces with stadium-quality finishes.

Back