Gardner Museum Expansion | Fenway

Re: Gardner Museum to undertake $60 million expansion

WGBH Greater Boston has a feature on the Gardner Expansion right now.

Seeing as the general consensus is that the juxtaposition of Piano's new addition with the existing Palace is undesirable, I thought I'd stir the pot a bit. In Glasgow, Steven Holl's winning proposal for a 120K square foot addition to Charles Rennie Mackintosh's iconic School of Art is causing a bit of controversy. Is this better or worse than what's happening in the Fens? Thoughts?

Oof. Same all-too-vague renderings that leave us without a clue as to what the final product will look like. Holl's response sort of suggests that the renderings are accurate, but who knows? Either way, thanks for the heads up, BB.

Honestly, I think the Gardner addition could have turned out a lot worse; I'm optimistic, and I'm generally a bitter, cynical SOB.

(Goddamnit, I hate two hour flight delays)

Yesterday:

5696765178_91bcbb28f9_b.jpg

5696189451_edf0b7449a_b.jpg

5696190027_ed85d07731_b.jpg

5696767258_8de68c16ff_b.jpg

So this is what we're stuck with, huh?

6041163179_6dd2d057ec_b.jpg

6041163393_7ba8085a21_b.jpg

I think that's pretty nice...but not for the Gardner Museum. I wish the colors weere a bit deeper and more contrasting but I like the pastel tile look.

Honestly though it goes against everything the Gardner represents. It's like an exact antithesis of what a modern attachment to the museum should be.

No -- If anything I don't think that it is independent enough

I think that it needs to be as separate as possible -- even Piano said that its an addition to the ISG Mueum -- but it interionally is not really an addition to the original historic Isabella Stuart Gardenr Museum Building

Just one:

6255796363_9fa0bfc8b9_b.jpg

i think this looks kinda interesting from this angle.

Gardner Bio Lab

This heap of scrap metal and glass does nothing for the museum...and it ain't pretty in its own right either. (That said, the beauty of the museum is on the inside, the outside is pretty middling IMO)

This heap of scrap metal and glass does nothing for the museum...and it ain't pretty in its own right either. (That said, the beauty of the museum is on the inside, the outside is pretty middling IMO)

What it does is give the Gardner a fomal entry very accessible from the MFA, school of the MFA and the MFA T stop with the Evans Way Park as a backdrop to the entrance structure

It needed to be disconnected visually from the Palace and I think it does seem to meet that criteria

It also takes performance, gift shop, coat check, etc. out of spaces that were never intended to serve those functions.

I understand and support what it adds functionally, my gripe is with the aesthetics. IMO it doesn't complement or respond to the older building, and the glass/steel conservatory looks awkward. Maybe it will get better, but I'm losing hope.

Back