General Boston Discussion.

bbfen

Reaction score
Random question (mods, feel free to move), but does anyone know why the Hynes closed the busway/driveway thing? For several months now, the Massport busses double park at the Gloucester Street intersection, blocking the stop light, because they can’t pull into the loading space. Seems like only Massport employees can use the space as their personal parking lot.

bakgwailo

Reaction score
7 News is reporting that both the Top of the Hub and Skywalk Observation deck are closing on the Pru:

Not sure if this is the correct post, but, how is it possible that the Skywalk can close? I hope this doesn't turn out like the observation deck on the Hancock without seemingly a fight from the city.

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
It does look too clean. like it belongs in Lexington. Some degree of urban grit is needed.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
I said it looked nice. I also miss the way it used to be. It's not like the clubs and pubs moved elsewhere, they're just gone. The Alley wasn't even gritty, it was just fun.

shmessy

Reaction score
I said it looked nice. I also miss the way it used to be. It's not like the clubs and pubs moved elsewhere, they're just gone. The Alley wasn't even gritty, it was just fun.
I hear ya, George, but it is all because of Emerson consolidating and growing their footprint in that area. In that one particular area, I am willing to trade for the overall increase in vibrancy that Emerson brings to what used to be the edge of the Combat Zone. Nothing is perfect, and I too miss those places, but this seems to be an example of giving up 4 to gain 6.

stick n move

Reaction score
Soo... with the entire worlds economy in the toilet do we see construction pick back up when all is said n done or do we see some projects put on hold... (pike parcels). I hope not. The one silver lining I can see is that the only place to go after this will be up. I hope this isnt the end of the boom, and I dont think it will be, but anything is on the table right now.

kjdonovan

Reaction score
Soo... with the entire worlds economy in the toilet do we see construction pick back up when all is said n done or do we see some projects put on hold... (pike parcels). I hope not. The one silver lining I can see is that the only place to go after this will be up. I hope this isnt the end of the boom, and I dont think it will be, but anything is on the table right now.
The next year will be about seeing what buildings that have already begun construction get finished (Cambridge Crossing, Assembly, GLX, downtown towers, Seaport). If work halts for more than a few weeks, then we are entering a world of science fiction come the summer. The idea of net new construction commencing in the next year is very optimistic. There are some canaries in the coalmine worth keeping a close eye on. Those things that just began. Looking at you Flower Exchange. If they don't start up again after the construction freeze is thawed, then half the threads on this board could be renamed Columbus Center.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
God forbid that the entrance to a state office building that frequently hosts public meetings looks nice.
The alley always seemed kind of fake to me anyway. It was always obviously not some cool quirk of old Boston but rather the entryway to a modern building. I realize some of the clubs were cool, but I never much cared for the setting at all.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
The alley always seemed kind of fake to me anyway. It was always obviously not some cool quirk of old Boston but rather the entryway to a modern building. I realize some of the clubs were cool, but I never much cared for the setting at all.
It was manufactured fun that had existed in some form or another for almost 40 years.