General Boston Discussion

Random question (mods, feel free to move), but does anyone know why the Hynes closed the busway/driveway thing? For several months now, the Massport busses double park at the Gloucester Street intersection, blocking the stop light, because they can’t pull into the loading space. Seems like only Massport employees can use the space as their personal parking lot.

7 News is reporting that both the Top of the Hub and Skywalk Observation deck are closing on the Pru:

Not sure if this is the correct post, but, how is it possible that the Skywalk can close? I hope this doesn't turn out like the observation deck on the Hancock without seemingly a fight from the city.

86766DF8-4279-48B8-A91F-A70CD6E4B790.jpeg

Emerson installed these streamlined purple signs on their campus in the last week or two. I’m a fan.

It does look too clean. like it belongs in Lexington. Some degree of urban grit is needed.

I said it looked nice. I also miss the way it used to be. It's not like the clubs and pubs moved elsewhere, they're just gone. The Alley wasn't even gritty, it was just fun.

I said it looked nice. I also miss the way it used to be. It's not like the clubs and pubs moved elsewhere, they're just gone. The Alley wasn't even gritty, it was just fun.

I hear ya, George, but it is all because of Emerson consolidating and growing their footprint in that area. In that one particular area, I am willing to trade for the overall increase in vibrancy that Emerson brings to what used to be the edge of the Combat Zone. Nothing is perfect, and I too miss those places, but this seems to be an example of giving up 4 to gain 6.

Soo... with the entire worlds economy in the toilet do we see construction pick back up when all is said n done or do we see some projects put on hold... (pike parcels). I hope not. The one silver lining I can see is that the only place to go after this will be up. I hope this isnt the end of the boom, and I dont think it will be, but anything is on the table right now.

Soo... with the entire worlds economy in the toilet do we see construction pick back up when all is said n done or do we see some projects put on hold... (pike parcels). I hope not. The one silver lining I can see is that the only place to go after this will be up. I hope this isnt the end of the boom, and I dont think it will be, but anything is on the table right now.
The next year will be about seeing what buildings that have already begun construction get finished (Cambridge Crossing, Assembly, GLX, downtown towers, Seaport). If work halts for more than a few weeks, then we are entering a world of science fiction come the summer. The idea of net new construction commencing in the next year is very optimistic. There are some canaries in the coalmine worth keeping a close eye on. Those things that just began. Looking at you Flower Exchange. If they don't start up again after the construction freeze is thawed, then half the threads on this board could be renamed Columbus Center.

God forbid that the entrance to a state office building that frequently hosts public meetings looks nice.
The alley always seemed kind of fake to me anyway. It was always obviously not some cool quirk of old Boston but rather the entryway to a modern building. I realize some of the clubs were cool, but I never much cared for the setting at all.

The alley always seemed kind of fake to me anyway. It was always obviously not some cool quirk of old Boston but rather the entryway to a modern building. I realize some of the clubs were cool, but I never much cared for the setting at all.

It was manufactured fun that had existed in some form or another for almost 40 years.

Pros and cons regarding the alley aside, one has to realize that even this "sanatized" version will only last so long. The transportation building IS a target for redevelopment in the relatively near future, and whatever replaces it will most certainly be closer to 1 Charles or the Ritz than a new dorm.

Pros and cons regarding the alley aside, one has to realize that even this "sanatized" version will only last so long. The transportation building IS a target for redevelopment in the relatively near future, and whatever replaces it will most certainly be closer to 1 Charles or the Ritz than a new dorm.

I actually like the Transportation Building, but it could certainly use an upgrade to its first level public space and retail/restaurants. I think it's nice that you can walk from Boylston to Stuart and use the alley and Transportation Building lobby as a pass-through. I wish more developments had that.

As for the alley, it sure could use some outdoor dining with tables and lighting. (I don't remember seeing that before.) I've noticed that San Francisco does a really nice job with some of their downtown alleys with public seating, artwork, and espresso carts.

It's funny there really isn't anything regarding the construction of this building except the Goody and Clancy web page and a 1983 article about the lost businesses in that block but I believe that is an overstatement looking at the photos of that area. Definitely an urban design success story in terms of bringing about the Stuart Street "spine" by de-commissioning a part of Elliot street to form a large block and at the same time restoring the significant buildings as book ends to the site; 2 Park St on one end and the Emerson Majesitc on the other and maintain Boylston Place. I attached a couple photos of what was mainly the Elliot Street Garage, a bus depot and bars.

Attachments

• Restored bldgs left of PF Chang's.jpg
    Restored bldgs left of PF Chang's.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 212
  • Bus Depot (Bocsh Cntr theater in center).jpg
    Bus Depot (Bocsh Cntr theater in center).jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Photo taken from Stuart & Charles.jpg
    Photo taken from Stuart & Charles.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Elliot Street at Carver (alley behind PF Chang).jpg
    Elliot Street at Carver (alley behind PF Chang).jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Boylston Place.jpg
    Boylston Place.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Playboy club (Currently Four Seasons).jpg
    Playboy club (Currently Four Seasons).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Bus depot (currently Charles St bldg entrance).jpg
    Bus depot (currently Charles St bldg entrance).jpg
    551 KB · Views: 212
As for the alley, it sure could use some outdoor dining with tables and lighting. (I don't remember seeing that before.) I've noticed that San Francisco does a really nice job with some of their downtown alleys with public seating, artwork, and espresso carts.

I think there was outdoor dining/drinking in front of Sweetwater Tavern. Also in the 1990s there was a lunch place opposite of Sweetwater that would set out outdoor tables and chairs on a more temporary basis.

Are there any notable examples of contemporary single / 2 family residential architecture in Boston or the inner suburbs? Modern architecture, new builds, not hewing to the prevailing colonial aesthetic. Or even MCM?

I'm thinking Boston proper, Cambridge, Somerville, inner Brookline here, not the next ring out. There's plenty of examples in the wealthy burbs, the Cape and islands, but very few in the urban bits. I can only think of one each in West Cambridge and near Davis.

Back