General Boston Discussion.

Hubman

Reaction score
Sorry to bump up this thread to ask a question, but does anyone know the history of why Summer St is elevated through the Seaport? The bridge over A Street appears to be quite old, so I'm guessing it predated the recent developments there.

393b40

Reaction score
Sorry to bump up this thread to ask a question, but does anyone know the history of why Summer St is elevated through the Seaport? The bridge over A Street appears to be quite old, so I'm guessing it predated the recent developments there.
Train tracks ran under it. It was a giant rail yard.

dhawkins

Reaction score
Here is a 2018 article, Boston magazine top 100 Bldgs in Boston. Let the debate begin. I don't necessarily agree with # 1, but it is the most controversial. Also, 10 listed are in Cambridge so really top 90. Not 1 seaport Bldg in this list, a lot has changed.

Last edited:

Hubman

Reaction score
Here is a 2018 article, Boston magazine top 100 Bldgs in Boston. Let the debate begin. I don't necessarily agree with # 1, but it is the most controversial. Also, 10 listed are in Cambridge so really top 90. Not 1 seaport Bldg in this list, a lot has changed.
Amazing how few skyscrapers there are on the list- I guess we don't have much to choose from in terms of architectural merit. Anyways, I wouldn't say it's fair to rank such a widely-despised building at no. 1 (or to stick 500 Boylston at 24 either), but a very interesting list nonetheless.

DBM

Reaction score
We found Zombie John Silber's pen name!
Dear sweet Jesus... after reading that, yep, I'm gonna go there:

"Thesis submitted by A. Hitler in partial fulfillment of the requirement for a degree in architecture, Vienna Academy of Design, 1913."

I can only conclude, after absorbing that precious little diatribe, that Silber wasn't merely quasi-fascist in his mentality--he was a stone-cold fascist. Why didn't he just drop the pretenses and label it "degenerate modern architecture"?

Bill Weld may have been an entitled Brahmin princeling--but praise be to the amber-hued liquid aficionado for having prevented Silber occupying the corner office.