General Boston Discussion

I've always really liked Chicago. The music scene there is fantastic, and there seems to be a lot more high-rise residential. Also they seem to take better care of their road and transit infrastructure. I don't see as many rusty bridges and overpasses there, and they've been replacing portions of the old elevated railways with new ones.
"City of the Big shoulders" fits it well.
They have a nice stretch of smaller high-rise (20 to 30 stories) up the Lake Shore from downtown for about 7 miles, and they also plan out their dense neighborhoods every well. It feels like a city where people enjoy living in. The North Side feels like what Revere should've had more of with high rises and density near the beach, if it were planned a bit more. A path like Chicago's Lake Shore path up to Revere Beach from Eastie would be an awesome addition. Revere feels so disconnected from Boston sometimes when it feels like it should be like the North Shore of Boston's footprint.

I haven't checked out the music much still, but I will next time! The food is nothing to underestimate either.

I, expectedly, still get caught up in the architecture and transit there every time so far 🤣

They have a nice stretch of smaller high-rise (20 to 30 stories) up the Lake Shore from downtown for about 7 miles, and they also plan out their dense neighborhoods every well. It feels like a city where people enjoy living in. The North Side feels like what Revere should've had more of with high rises and density near the beach, if it were planned a bit more. A path like Chicago's Lake Shore path up to Revere Beach from Eastie would be an awesome addition. Revere feels so disconnected from Boston sometimes when it feels like it should be like the North Shore of Boston's footprint.

I haven't checked out the music much still, but I will next time! The food is nothing to underestimate either.

I, expectedly, still get caught up in the architecture and transit there every time so far 🤣

I absolutely love Chicago, but one of the things I noticed when visiting is it just felt a lot...louder than Boston, and especially Camberville. Lots of wide roads downtown with cars flying down them at 40-50 mph, a seemingly higher number of modded or otherwise obnoxiously-loud cars, and the L, while very cool aesthetically, is so, so loud. Just a lot of noise pollution in general in a way that I don't feel most of the busiest parts of Boston have (aside from the areas right next to the highways of course).

Culture shift: Boston considering opening some streets to open drinking​

“GBH uncorks the news that City Hall is considering several "open container districts" where people could buy something adult at a local restaurant and then just walk around sipping like we're a common New Orleans or Las Vegas.

Among the areas being considered: Kenmore Square, the Seaport, the North End, Downtown and, of course, Allston/Brighton, where maybe Tavern in the Square closed too soon.

Boston currently bans alcohol consumption in public, or at least away from licensed patios……”

https://www.universalhub.com/2024/whoa-boston-considering-opening-some-streets-open

When I was in Chicago this past weekend, along the river walk they do this near many shops and gardens that line it, and the zone ends once you get far enough away from them (either between or at the ends of the River Walk). I imagine something like this. It's much more reasonable than feeling guilty for being on the wrong side of a rope with a cup and allows people to flow between businesses and expands seating areas, in like an outdoor food court type setting. I'd imagine something like this in North End zones, Seaport between patios/gardens, and such. Good idea!

I can't imagine this happening in the N. End. The city has effectively killed outdoor dining in that neighborhood due to supposed negative externalities, so I'd be very surprised that they would now spearhead some kind open container district.

Back