General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | 244-284 A Street | Fort Point

This bridge is just the latest absurd nimby bullshit in a long line of preposterous nimby bullshit and endless extortion tactics.... There has to be a balance and this crap is of no value to anyone but a bunch of elitist obstructionist loons that continue to hurt Boston.

Crude -- dare I say Trump-like but an accurate observation -- if the artists like the Bridge so much -- let them raise the funds to buy, move and restore it

As it has no connectivity function any more -- it really has no function anymore

What a boring fucking world we would live in if we only judged the merit of a thing by it's utility.

What a boring fucking world we would live in if we only judged the merit of a thing by it's utility.

Totally agree Statler. But let's try translating this into Whighlander's cold capitalistic language:

Charm, history, aesthetics are forms of utility in their own right. Yet they are a special kind of utility that humanity is prone to totally taking for granted, even though deep down we need it almost as much as the air we breath and water we drink. People are too blind to vote to pay for it, even though they need it. Take, for example, the Zakim bridge: assailed for being unnecessary - a simple pier and beam structure would have sufficed - but now it's on the corporate logo of half the mom and pop businesses around here because it's become part of boston essence; people love it and are proud of it - yet they never would have paid for it. Whighlander's form of capitalism would result in austere cinderblock structures (all that's needed for "utility") for housing and public works, while the rich would live walled-off in their secluded fortresses. But that's actually not the kind of society we have, as evidenced by our city not looking like that. Let's keep it this way.

Totally agree Statler. But let's try translating this into Whighlander's cold capitalistic language:

Charm, history, aesthetics are forms of utility in their own right. Yet they are a special kind of utility that humanity is prone to totally taking for granted, even though deep down we need it almost as much as the air we breath and water we drink. People are too blind to vote to pay for it, even though they need it. Take, for example, the Zakim bridge: assailed for being unnecessary - a simple pier and beam structure would have sufficed - but now it's on the corporate logo of half the mom and pop businesses around here because it's become part of boston essence; people love it and are proud of it - yet they never would have paid for it. Whighlander's form of capitalism would result in austere cinderblock structures (all that's needed for "utility") for housing and public works, while the rich would live walled-off in their secluded fortresses. But that's actually not the kind of society we have, as evidenced by our city not looking like that. Let's keep it this way.

+1

Try equating built environments to the choices we make in dressing ourselves every morning. Utility is very very far down that list of criteria, and often there is a great deal of ornament involved. It is funny how hypocritical we can be about what we want in our built environment vs what we require of ourselves and our own personal design values.

cca

I don't exactly disagree, but let's add strong caveats of #firstworldproblems and #middleclasswhitepeopleproblems. We don't actually rely on aesthetics as much as air and water. While your point about societal values is well taken, please let's keep a little perspective while many people in this city have much more serious things to worry about than unused bridges.

Also, probably to great detriment to the near-term future of this thread, I'll add that capitalism and communism alike put their poor in utilitarian bunkers and their rich/powerful in palaces. This isn't really an argument about economic orientation, unless your point is that liberal social democracy represents a balance that avoids the pitfalls of any pure ideology (which I hope is what you meant).

I don't exactly disagree, but let's add strong caveats of #firstworldproblems and #middleclasswhitepeopleproblems. We don't actually rely on aesthetics as much as air and water. While your point about societal values is well taken, please let's keep a little perspective while many people in this city have much more serious things to worry about than unused bridges.

... but still make aesthetic choices every day. It not removable from the human condition. It is not a issue for the privileged. Poverty does not exclude aesthetics. If anything it raises the bar on creativity.

Try equating built environments to the choices we make in dressing ourselves every morning. Utility is very very far down that list of criteria, and often there is a great deal of ornament involved. It is funny how hypocritical we can be about what we want in our built environment vs what we require of ourselves and our own personal design values.

cca

This is true, but oddly enough I love fussy buildings but tend wear very basic clothing.

This is true, but oddly enough I love fussy buildings but tend wear very basic clothing.

Of course you do ... there are vastly different criteria to those two things. The aesthetics don't agree because the needs are significantly different. It is not a contradiction.

cca

AmericanFolkLegend said:
The listing for Mr. Immelt's new pad.
Surprised he didn't end up in a single family.

whighlander said:
Today, we hear that Jeff GE Immelt will be walking a bit to get to work -- but not from DTX
BBJ, May 5, 2016

Should have waited a few more months to pick up Jack Welch's old house.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Boston/40-N-Beacon-St-02134/home/109274956

(yes, the map in the listing is wrong about the location)

I'll add that capitalism and communism alike put their poor in utilitarian bunkers and their rich/powerful in palaces.

I don't disagree that this is a historical fact, but at least here in Boston we are making attempts to move beyond this condition with mixed income developments like One Greenway. Nearly 50% affordable, and hardly a utilitarian bunker.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=27

I don't disagree that this is a historical fact, but at least here in Boston we are making attempts to move beyond this condition with mixed income developments like One Greenway. Nearly 50% affordable, and hardly a utilitarian bunker.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=27

Agreed that present trends are far superior to the past. I think inclusionary zoning is powerful and effective.

But what you cite as authoritative for most of the Preservation is actually just is much opinion as mine except that your authorities are paid to express their opinions on such matters.

As to my knowledge of the history of the area -- I've spent some time researching through the omniscience of Google --

That much is pretty obvious... I've spent some time googling how to fly a plane and have walked around airports, so I should be able to pilot a jet, no? Or are you just knocking an entire industry because you can't wrap your mind around a concept you can't tabulate?

My major quibble is that the Necco Ct Bridge was never a public amenity and it certainly wasn't unique. Necco used it to move candy and raw materials protected from the weather from building to building as their complex expanded organically.

Wrong, it was part of the original construction, as referenced by Sicilian. But don't let facts get in the way of your ramblings...

In addition, there is one very much like it which will be incorporated into the GE re-use of the 2 Brick & Timber Necco Buildings only feet away.

The bridge in question is over a street, visible from a major thoroughfare (A Street) as well as the Fort Point channel. The other is half the length and straddles an alley. In terms of character defining features, it is actually the smaller one that could be removed without any adverse effects.

In contrast -- My major issue is the selective application of Preservation at all cost rhetoric. This kind of finality, lost to history forever language being applied to this one industrial artifact is unjustified. Neither George Washington, nor Paul Revere's horse walked across the Necco Ct. Bridge, nor did the Minutemen fire from one side of Necco Ct. to the other; Nor did Alexander Graham Bell shout across for Thomas Watson or Ponzi use it to store his ill gotten gains.

Okay, and here is why I actually decided to respond to your posts. Your "understanding" of Preservation is the antithesis of it's entire modern concept. Let's go to the US Congress, 1966, when they were developing the foundation of historic preservation as we know it. (emphasis mine)

If the preservation movement is to be successful, it must go beyond saving bricks and mortar. It must go beyond saving occasional historic houses and opening museums. It must be more than a cult of antiquarians. It must do more than revere a few precious national shrines. It must attempt to give a sense of orientation to our society, using structures and objects of the past to establish values of time and place.

This means a reorientation of outlook and effort in several ways.

First, the preservation movement must recognize the importance of architecture, design, and esthetics as well as historic and cultural values. Those who treasure a building for its pleasing appearance or local sentiment do not find it less important because it lacks proper historic credentials.

Second, the new preservation must look beyond the individual building and individual landmark and concern itself with the historic and architecturally valued areas and districts which contain a special meaning for the community. A historic neighborhood, a fine old street of houses, a village green, a colorful marketplace, a courthouse square, an esthetic quality of the town scape -- all must fall within the concern of the preservation movement. It makes little sense to fight for the preservation of a historic house set between two service stations, and at the same time to ignore an entire area of special charm or importance in the community which is being nibbled away by incompatible uses or slow decay.

Third, if the effort to preserve historic and architecturally significant areas as well as individual buildings is to succeed, intensive thought and study must be given to economic conditions and tax policies which will affect our efforts to preserve such areas as living parts of the community.

Far more significant artifacts from that early "industrial era" have recently made it to the scrap heap [e.g. major real bridges] with far less comments and some as close as the Northern Avenue Bridge are likely to follow suit.

So because a bunch of significant things have been destroyed, we should allow all the things to be destroyed?

Whigh - don't bother responding to this. I'm infrequently on here and nearly always scroll through your posts without reading, and will do the same for whatever wikipedia dump you decide to retort with. The only reason I even noticed this was through the extensive quoting by Sicilian. This post is really for the rest of the forum, because that congress quote is one of my favorites.

Also, probably to great detriment to the near-term future of this thread, I'll add that capitalism and communism alike put their poor in utilitarian bunkers and their rich/powerful in palaces. This isn't really an argument about economic orientation, unless your point is that liberal social democracy represents a balance that avoids the pitfalls of any pure ideology (which I hope is what you meant).

Fattony -- Capitalism provided the us with the luxury of the BPL and Symphony Hall -- no amount of regulating and subsidizing could have done that

The cinderblock bunkers or hammered cinderblock Paul Rudoplphianisms all come from the all powerful state -- when you have true capitalism you get the Chadwick Leadworks -- where the capitalist takes pride in his/her achievement and celebrates it

If the artists really want the bridge GE should give it to them -- they just have to move it someplace else

Does GE already regret getting involved with historical buildings?

of course they do.

Apparently, in the middle of the BPDA meeting this afternoon, it was brought to the attention to the board that a key procedural step under the Open Meeting Law was not done properly; and so, the meeting was ajourned for 2 weeks.... w/ the GE project returning for a vote then.

Whigh - don't bother responding to this. I'm infrequently on here and nearly always scroll through your posts without reading, and will do the same for whatever wikipedia dump you decide to retort with. The only reason I even noticed this was through the extensive quoting by Sicilian. This post is really for the rest of the forum, because that congress quote is one of my favorites.

Devem -- I'm going to ignore your admonition to not bother to respond -- Why -- because although I don't actually care if you read my posts or not -- others do read them and often thoughtfully comment -- and some even appreciate them.

Note just for your benefit this will all be stream of conscious with no use of Wiki though I may check on some spellings, as that is one of my major communications handicaps

Okay, and here is why I actually decided to respond to your posts. Your "understanding" of Preservation is the antithesis of it's entire modern concept. Let's go to the US Congress, 1966, when they were developing the foundation of historic preservation as we know it. (emphasis mine)

That is all just a matter of opinion as the definition of such changes with "fads" Take for example Sumner Appleton who can be considered one of the progenitors of modern historic preservation. While he saved Paul's House from its ignominious state circa 1900 -- he decided to restore the house to what [people at the time thought] was appropriate [circa 1900 understanding of such] and that was to try to restore the house to its original condition [circa 1700]. Unfortunately, that very act of preservation permanently distorted visitors' ideas about the house when it was inhabited by Paul.

Paul was a kind of late 18th C state-of-the-art guy [introducing rolled copper, etc.] -- its hard to imagine that he would have lived in an essentially medieval house with tiny windows. And most dramatically, we can see the house's former roofline on the wall behind it. More than likely Sumner Appleton removed the very essence of the house as Revere lived in it, and as Paul updated it to meet the style of the time, and to house his huge brood of children.

OK: Point by Point for the rest:
That much is pretty obvious... I've spent some time googling how to fly a plane and have walked around airports, so I should be able to pilot a jet, no? Or are you just knocking an entire industry because you can't wrap your mind around a concept you can't tabulate?

Actually, just because I can "tabulate" or solve a quadratic equation or two -- doesn't by any sense make me immune to appreciating things which are "hard to tabulate" -- rather than a recitation of my interests well beyond engineering and science -- I'll just paraphrase if not quite quote a joke [ostensibly based on a true bit] concerning a meeting of the MIT Faculty.

A professor teaching a humanities course [we were actually required to take such when I was an undergraduate] observed that a student of his -- a John Milton was having a hard time with English Poetry -- the entire faculty chuckled. After a few more mundane issues were discussed, a Math Prof remarked that he'd had a German student a few years back whose name was Karl Gauss. The math Prof went on that Gauss flunked a course in advanced Geometry. The uproarious laughter was limited to the Math, Physics and EE faculty members -- the rest stared dumbfounded.

By the way on the specific matter of historic preservation I was one of the incorporators of the "Friends of the Battle Road" [along with people such as Thomas Boylston Adams] which was established to help the US Park Service in dealing with issues connected with Minuteman Historical Park. We had discussions such as whether to rip a porch off an old farm house when the house was being "restored". The same family had lived on the farm and in the house for many generations since before the Revolution and had added the porch to be "with-it" during the mid 19th C. Our group suggested leaving it -- as it was an organic part of the house -- the Park Service decided to follow its "iron clad" rule book and removed it as it was not circa 1775. Of course just down the road a piece the same Park Service was restoring a house to the mid 19th C [in the same Park although a "different unit"] because it was connected with the Concord Authors [Emerson, Thoreau, Alcott]. We also discussed the surface to be used on the 'Patriots' Path" used by the Minute Companies to skirt around the Red Coat sentries, flankers and grenadiers as they traveled essentially parallel to the Red Coats during the running battle. the Park Service wanted asphalt to make sure it was ADA compliant -- But we won this one.

No one could claim any authenticity for even a formal path -- especially when the Park Service restored the Battle Road itself to gravel and sand [although the historic surface is intentionally buried under the "modern restoration" such as by Hartwell Tavern.In the end we agreed to settle on a stone dust surface with a couple of board walks where there was near-permanent swampyness.

So, actually I have some practical experience with historic preservation -- i didn't just stay in some old Motel 6 or Day's Inn and obtain it through osmosis.

Wrong, it was part of the original construction, as referenced by Sicilian. But don't let facts get in the way of your ramblings...

Actually I'm willing to bet it was not part of the original construction -- but was part of the organic growth of the complex [see above]. Why am I so sure, because when I was last down there looking at the buildings its clear that they are different. Not at all uncommon and the two buildings along Necco Ct which are connected by a smaller bridge have known different dates of construction. i believe that they are 2 or 3 years apart.

Another story -- I did quite a bit of work in Stamford CT for a couple of years as a hybrid between a consultant and an acting Chief Engineer. I often traveled on Amtrak to the Stamford Station [sometime on Amtrak changing to Metro North in New Haven]. Anyway after leaving New Haven and before getting to Stamford the train would travel through the war-zone liked devastation of Bridgeport CT. It was bleak and unpleasant [especially when I was returning after dark]. However, the bleakness was ameliorated by the portion of the trip spent passing the Jenkin's Valve Works -- proudly proclaiming its mastery of valves since 1852 [I think]. As you proceeded along -- you saw a complete history of industrial architecture from the original brick to early 20th C Chicago-style industrial to finally a sheet metal later 20th C addition. Of course, unfortunately it was all empty -- the company had ceased making valves in Bridgeport. Doubly unfortunately, I always planned to bring my Pentax camera [this was pre-good digital camera era] -- finally on one trip I did -- unfortunately, Jenkins was just another pile of rubble -- no more Chadwick Leadworks exuberance on the original building. And no more even sheet metal shed. No preservation here. I think it turned into a parking lot for a Jai Alai parlor or something.

The bridge in question is over a street, visible from a major thoroughfare (A Street) as well as the Fort Point channel. The other is half the length and straddles an alley. In terms of character defining features, it is actually the smaller one that could be removed without any adverse effects.

Well A Street at Necco CT, is hardly a major thoroughfare although it does provide access to the large surface parking lot. I've been down there several times since GE decided on the site for their HQ -- while I've avoided rush hours -- most of the time I stand in A street without much concern of passing cars. Yes it is visible from the Ft. Point Channel if you know where to look -- but since its recessed back down Necco Ct [not really much more than an alley itself] -- you have to know where to look.

There is no argument for the comparison -- GE is incorporating the shorter, smaller one into their restoration of the two old brick and beam buildings as part of their HQ campus. The longer and larger one crossing Necco Ct., can't be used as GE doesn't control the other end [which is sheet rocked-up anyway on the Summer St. side] and their side is open to the GE building. It's not even clear as to who actually has title to the "famous Green Bridge."

So because a bunch of significant things have been destroyed, we should allow all the things to be destroyed?

No of course not -- and I've never said that. All I did was observe that it seems a bit excessively coincidental that this particular bridge is the subject of such attention when other more significant and famous bridges have not commanded such. In particular, no one seemed to give a rat's patootie about the collapse of the Long Island Bridge and the dismantling of the Rolling Draw [part of it preserved on land].

Anyway -- the preceding was not carefully researched and its the middle of the night - -so I apologize to the rest of the Forum for rambling

Highly Recommend that anyone interested in the GE HQ review the following doumen delivered to the BPDA as a response to the comments [even after the Design Committee had approved] -- a couple of small things were tweaked just last week

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/57f5df12-19d1-4b7d-89c0-9288054cf3c5

Peter Cavanaugh, Ecosystem Transformation Leader, is the actual point person for GE on the whole process of moving to Boston not just on the HQ Building project. He has listened to the polite and not so polite comments and suggestions and Gensler and OJB have responded with significant changes and improvements to both the building and landscaping.

Even the "Beloved Green Bridge" is safe

Well, the helipad is a big deal. Depending on how much it's used, it could generate a ton of noise. Why GE needs a helipad is a total mystery, I don't think I've seen why they want one (can someone provide a reference if they know?), and the people living there have every right to know how much extra sound this will generate, what times of day, etc.

Helicopters are loud.

Back