General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | 244-284 A Street | Fort Point

nhfJg6qh.png

Via r/Boston: https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/5bkccn/ge_wrecking_ball/

Also, now the song is stuck in your head. Sorry.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...-university/d4zABJb58U7Ye3OwlfLiLP/story.html

GE has inked a deal with Sacred Heart University, located across Route 59 in Fairfield, to sell the property for $31.5 million. The site includes two office buildings totaling about 500,000 square feet, 800 parking spaces, a 28-room hotel, and a helicopter landing pad. Sacred Heart is expected to complete its purchase by the end of the year.

Good news for Connecticut.

SHU does have a payment in lieu of taxes program set up.

http://fairfield.dailyvoice.com/sch...-to-purchase-ge-property-in-fairfield/690472/
The purchase brings SHU's total acreage to nearly 200 acres, not including the 150-acre Great River Golf Club. With the purchase by SHU, a nonprofit entity, Fairfield will also receive payments from the state's Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) program.

Edit: It seems that SHU's PILOT is the kind where the state covers the tax payments to Fairfield, not the kind I thought, where SHU would make payments to Fairfield anyway, despite being nonprofit. The state will still be losing out on the taxes. Why the heck do those two kinds of PILOTs have the same name?

Last edited:

Globe article:

What Will A General Electric Museum Look Like?

General Electric Co. wants its new Boston headquarters to be a showcase of the innovative technologies it plans to bring to industrial machinery. But the campus being planned for the Fort Point neighborhood will also include a paean to GE’s storied past as inventor of some of the great machinery and innovations of the modern age.

Is there a plan yet to rename NECCO St? Strange to keep the name of the former company that was located there on the street. GE Way might be a bit much. How about "Edison Way"

Is there a plan yet to rename NECCO St? Strange to keep the name of the former company that was located there on the street. GE Way might be a bit much. How about "Edison Way"

Electric Avenue? ;)

It's not just any company though. It's the legendary NECCO. I think GE will keep it & honor the history of the site.

Daytime version of a previous render that hasnt been posted I checked.

110116GErenderings03.jpg

Globe: Procter & Gamble sells Fort Point land for GE project

Boston Globe said:
Procter & Gamble has completed a deal to transfer 2.4 acres alongside the Fort Point Channel for General Electric’s new headquarters. In return, P&G will pocket $83 million.

The property off Necco Court has been divided in two. State agency MassDevelopment bought more than an acre, including two vacant brick buildings on that land, for $57.4 million, according information provided by GE. The company, meanwhile, spent $25.6 million for the remaining portion, where the industrial giant plans to build a 12-story headquarters structure overlooking the channel.

[...]

It's a quirky design. I like it but I wonder how it will age. Will this thing look horribly dated in 20 or 30 years? Probably.

It's a quirky design. I like it but I wonder how it will age. Will this thing look horribly dated in 20 or 30 years? Probably.

Yeah - it's my understanding that the "solar veil" has wood incorporated into it, and I am a huge skeptic of wood as an exterior material on commercial buildings. The "natural graying and cracking" that even the most rot-resistant and/or treated hardwoods exhibit really isn't that appealing. Just my 2 cents.

When P&G bought Gillette, how much production was shifted away from the South Boston operations? How much is still there?

When P&G bought Gillette, how much production was shifted away from the South Boston operations? How much is still there?

My understanding is that South Boston is still a major production and R&D site for Gillette products. Razor production is not something you easily shift around -- it is very capital intensive.

What a surprise

Yeah - it's my understanding that the "solar veil" has wood incorporated into it, and I am a huge skeptic of wood as an exterior material on commercial buildings. The "natural graying and cracking" that even the most rot-resistant and/or treated hardwoods exhibit really isn't that appealing. Just my 2 cents.

BigPicture -- There is no wood

if you read the documents you will see the materials while not specified in detail are wood-look-like -- my guess is composite of some manner like hardiplank

Back