General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Green Line alert:

But but! It's off-peak!!!

What's next, Green Line B experiencing delays due to Sun rising in the east?

BC and BU kids, plus all the students that rent in Allston/Brighton heading home for the holiday, maybe.

Bahh, who am I kiddin'... the T just sucks.

The weekend one trolley green lines from riverside are also terrible decisions. I can understand more on the B and C because you get a fair amount of on-off traffic before Kenmore.

5:30 on a saturday from Riverside, and by Beaconsfield we are turning people away and crammed in. I was going to Fenway. I have boarded weekends at Fenway too with the same problem, full one car trolleys coming in with dozens waiting. They should know well enough by now to never turn away passengers, especially as the temps drop and headways reduced. This is why we need to invest in the system.

Yeah, I didn't make this clear, but there is no "off-peak" on the "B" line.

It's pretty much always busy in one direction or the other, or both.

A rather simple yet entirely nonstarter of a solution: buy longer articulated trains that can train line and control doors from front, and move to proof of payment. The unions would never endorse either, unfortunately.

Also, like Matthew said, the B is always busy. It should almost always run exclusively two and three car trains. I catch the train west of Washington St and it is mostly hoardings only on the inbounds until Kenmore (only notable exception being Harvard Ave). During rush hour the train is routinely packed before reaching Harvard Ave and its a brutal crawl from Packard's to Kenmore if we aren't lucky enough to get expressed. Just an all-around awful operation.

Last night at Haymarket, I saw some guy tap his CharlieCard at the validator on the 424/426/428/450 platform, then walk away without taking the POP ticket. Is this... normal? I don't understand what the point was. Eventually someone came across it, took, and ran over to the 111 platform and got on.

Also; why are these not REQUIRED? The massive crowds take FOREVER to board the buses!

Also; why are these not REQUIRED? The massive crowds take FOREVER to board the buses!

Because the T would rather strangle to death than change or admit they were wrong to give up on PoP.

Sometimes I see a bus inspector come out and help board passengers through the rear door at the start of a route. Sometimes.

Because the T would rather strangle to death than change or admit they were wrong to give up on PoP.

Sometimes I see a bus inspector come out and help board passengers through the rear door at the start of a route. Sometimes.

We used to see this on the E-line at Brigham Circle and Longwood Med during the evening rush too. T employees with their mobile validators would block both ends of the platform and charge/validate passes right there so the platform became a paid fare zone.

Can you use these for the commuter rail too? I'm thinking if you are going on a 1A stop, say North Station to Porter in my case. Since this is a subway fare, can you just show them that? I would love to not have to double up and have been trying to find a way around it.

Wait... so... the key to using CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail is POP, right?

We don't even need to grade separate, cordon off paid areas, etc... You just tap the pass on your card (or it deducts fare from your card based on what zone you are in), show it to the conductor, and presto! No?

That's the logic I use, but we all know that logic is not always implemented.

Caltrain POP is implemented with a smartcard (Clipper) by having people tap it before they enter and tap again at the destination. It first charges you the maximum possible amount and then refunds the difference after you arrive. The conductors carry a portable card reader. Those without a card buy a paper ticket at a vending machine.

Not necessarily the greatest approach but at least it shows that backwards American commuter rail can do it.

Green Line alert:

But but! It's off-peak!!!

What's next, Green Line B experiencing delays due to Sun rising in the east?

I have a genius idea, lets only open the front door and add 10 minutes to each run, that will work wonders!

Yeah, just think about how we're stopping all that fare evasion and increasing revenue by (maybe) $20 more per trip.

So what if we have to fill in the missed headway with another train that costs $210/hour to operate?

The important part is that we're stopping evil fare evaders! Even if this policy costs the T hundreds of dollars per trip, we will do it to spite ourselves! Because the idea that anyone, anywhere might be getting a free ride is worth paying any price to stop!

Yeah, just think about how we're stopping all that fare evasion and increasing revenue by (maybe) $20 more per trip.

So what if we have to fill in the missed headway with another train that costs $210/hour to operate?

The important part is that we're stopping evil fare evaders! Even if this policy costs the T hundreds of dollars per trip, we will do it to spite ourselves! Because the idea that anyone, anywhere might be getting a free ride is worth paying any price to stop!

They really need to stop openeing the rear door of buses because YOU NEVER KNOW.

Also, I got into south station at 1:10am last night (train was perfectly on time)

The godamned station was closed.

WTF? Isnt it a 24 hour building? Theyre now closing the damn thing before the last trains get in?

Fuck this.

Bus I was on broke down today. Never had that happen before.

I was on a Silver Line that scraped against a scaffolding in Chinatown today... made a pretty loud sound.

Remember the key bus route project?

That was fed money for a super quick project? Ie, done by Fall 2011?

Lol.

Website was updated again, this time earliest completion date is "winter 2013"

The MBTA, where REMOVING A POLE WITH A SIGN take two years....or more.

Remember the key bus route project?

That was fed money for a super quick project? Ie, done by Fall 2011?

Lol.

Website was updated again, this time earliest completion date is "winter 2013"

The MBTA, where REMOVING A POLE WITH A SIGN take two years....or more.

Honestly, what is the key bus route you talking about? I want to know so I can feel exasperation at exactly the poll that takes two years to remove.

All of them were supposed to be improved. The 57 bus went through its process a couple years ago, the 66 bus not long after that. I know the 39 bus went through it too, and the 23, 28, etc a bit later.

Why I don't ride the T: Example 47

35 taken to hospital after two trolleys collide at Boylston MBTA station

Thirty-five people, including nine who were immobilized for possible head or neck injuries, were transported to the hospital for evaluation or treatment after two Green Line trolleys collided in the Boylston Street MBTA station shortly before noon today, authorities said.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...bta-station/AFHlk9odLmBbDl87XLRqIO/story.html

Back