General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Aside from the obvious blubbering nonsense the MBTA continues to deliver, who the eff does their PR? I mean, really, no one caught a stinking typo in the very first sentence?

Why, the same folks who design their fare collection software, of course.

Anyone know what this is all about?

http://www.universalhub.com/2012/bet-you-didnt-know-green-line-trolleys-can-do-65

oldgl.jpg

Roving UHub photographer Will Bussiere was roving all the way out in Charlton yesterday when he spotted a Green Line trolley on the back of a flatbed on the turnpike. No clue why.

How ironic that we're sending rail cars out by truck. We couldn't even just load them onto a flatbed train. Are bridge clearance issues to blame?

How are they spiffing them up? Mechanics only, interior, exterior, mixture?

How are they spiffing them up? Mechanics only, interior, exterior, mixture?

Guts. Take apart the motors, replace the trucks and any flat wheels, replace any worn parts/cables, check the articulation joints, check the door assembly and electronics, upgrade the trainlining connection so they run smoother in 7-8 and triple consists, service the HVAC units, carbody work to pound out dents and do rust abatement, new paint job. Typical 50,000 (or 500,000) mile checkup type stuff. You probably won't notice anything different on the interior or how they operate when they come back, unless they decide to go all-LED lighting like they've piloted on a couple Orange and Red cars.

Program is for 86 of the remaining 91 3600 series cars. 3614 will be out at Alstom's factory for one year in the pilot program as they poke and prod it to figure out what needs the most work and parts orders for the fleet. Then the rest of them get rotated 10 at a time for 3 years (do the math for what that averages out to time-wise per car). Then there's a +20 option order for the 1997-era 3700 series, and a few partially wrecked or long-term out of service 3600's with repairable damage. That'll finish the entire Type 7 fleet and leave them good as new for the next 12-15 years.

The circa-1988 Red Line 01700's have been in a similar rebuild program for almost 2 years. A little over 1/4 of that fleet is done and back in service. A dozen cars are currently out-of-service in the rebuild program. The rehabbed ones aren't any different except nice new paint job, and ever-so-slightly smoother ride with fewer creaky/clunky noises. They're doing that rehab in-house at Cabot Yard. LRV's are more complex because of the articulation so those ended up better off going offsite.

How ironic that we're sending rail cars out by truck. We couldn't even just load them onto a flatbed train. Are bridge clearance issues to blame?

The Alstom factory isn't served by CSX, so probably too much of a P.I.T.A. to route around half of western NY on different carriers.

Saw this on a bus the other night........How's that for customer service?

IMG_20120929_211226.jpg

Since when has E service resumed to Heath St/VA Medical Center on weekends??

My train last night did not crossover at Brigham Circle and kept on route to Heath.

Maybe they're scared?

That was right outside my apartment. Got to watch the scene from above. It was pretty cool.

Nah. They were crossing trains there too last night, but some were going with passengers to Heath.

*T service ending at 2pm today until further notice.*

What the fuck?

I know it is a big storm, but the eye is tracking over WESTERN NEW YORK.

I think the T is maybe being a little overly cautious.

What the fuck?

Limbs are already falling. 2 were down on my street this morning. This is for safety, especially the D line.

Reports of 50'+ trees falling are coming in too.

What the fuck?

Hardly. Winds are expected to exceed 36 mph at 2 pm. By shutting it down early, not only do you allow the T workers to go home before the worst of it at 5 pm, but it also encourages any workers who decided to go to work today, to leave early. Just because the eye isn't making landfall here, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. Plus some of these buses go around neighborhoods where there's a lot of power lines on wooden poles that can be knocked over by tree limbs.

I just feel bad for nurses and other medical center workers who depend on the T but obviously still need to get to and from work.

I just feel bad for nurses and other medical center workers who depend on the T but obviously still need to get to and from work.

Yup, my girlfriend had to do that last year during the other hurricane. Drove her there and back though. It's probably best that they stay there the entire day and not try to go home. It's really bad outside and I'm just waiting for one of the trees to topple in front of my dorm. Pics to come.

A6ZPwSnCUAAZwXc.jpg:large

There you have it folks, OL near Stony Brook.

Back