General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Hasnt jetblue offered $1 fares many times in the past?

Yes, they've had a limited number of promo tickets on select legs that they were trying to draw attention to, but they didn't say, "The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, everyone will fly free on all our flights to all destinations."

the Bunker Hill Street bus is free? I don't think so.

I-93, not the 93 bus.

Booya!

How do we convey to people that suggesting the T be self-sufficient is like saying the roads should be? Both are public infrastructure. The only difference I see is that transit typically uses some pricing mechanism to prevent total tragedy-of-the-commons while roads are "free" to have daily traffic jams.

Open-road tolling, congestion tolling, etc. has been used to great success elsewhere. Granted, the T is prone to different tragedies on a daily basis... :)

the Bunker Hill Street bus is free? I don't think so.
93. Not The 93. We're the opposite of LA. If you precede a number with a definite article, it becomes a bus route. If you throw a number out there or just precede it with "route" (usually for low numbered roads and pronounced "root", of course), it's a highway of some sort.

I guess to be fair to ron, this is the MBTA thread, so it would make sense to refer to bus routes.

But yes, the highway.

I guess to be fair to ron, this is the MBTA thread, so it would make sense to refer to bus routes.

But yes, the highway.

Yeah, but context made it fairly clear that the number reffered to the interstate.

I wish they'd remove the key bus routes from most of the standard subway syste, maps. It's okay to do sparingly, but for the most part it is more harm than good.

The whole "Classic Tier" thing seems really strange- do they really expect to get a professional quality map that meets all their standards, is delivered in a proper form, and is superior to their current map, finished in less than a month on the designer's own time and money? Personally, all I was considering doing was an "Open Tier" map of a single, non-key bus route... if they like the idea that's great, but if so they'll need to hire someone to actually make all the other routes :p (probably not me, but that's fine)

I'm also kind of amused that the website tells you to submit via e-mail and then says submissions will not be returned. "Why can't you email me back the file, MBTA?!"

Or that regardless of whether the T selects your map, you lose all copyright and ownership of it.

The whole thing smaks of "lets screw over a freelancer". This reminds me of when I was trying to be a photographer and the only "jobs" were unpaid internships where they expected you to be the next Annie Leibovitz.

At lease give a cash prize or something.

I'm trying to think of whether there is a way to do a T map in the shape of something rude...

"You'll get great exposure!"

"People die from exposure."

^ Best. Reply. Ever.

TOD

Murderpan

Mattapan.jpg

JFK/UMass

JFK_UMASS2.jpg

Beverly (LOL, Parking Garage as biggest feature of "TOD"?)

beverly.gif

Newburyport

newburyport.jpg

The whole thing smaks of "lets screw over a freelancer". This reminds me of when I was trying to be a photographer and the only "jobs" were unpaid internships where they expected you to be the next Annie Leibovitz.

At lease give a cash prize or something.

I also assume the T employs a graphics staff (the CTA did when I was there) and they're probably pretty steamed. Essentially, their bosses just declared an open contest for amateurs to do their jobs better, for free. Surely, they must feel valued.

Many tunnel walls have coatings of lead paint and would require a lead safe stripping paste as part of abatement prior to cleaning. Most of the original red and orange line stations had mosaic tile which was also painted rather than cleaned and would greatly benefit from this. Boylston Station's foolish painting of tiles in 2004 also comes to mind.

Right now, I can think of a million better ways for the T to use money than power washing walls.

Back