General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Theres a final $474m in TIGER funds available
http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/us...unces-fifth-round-funding-tiger-grant-program

With the catch that funds have to be obligated by Oct 2014. I'm thinking this favors things like signals & CWR (rather than stations) and projects like the MBTA Key Bus Routes (which is just about to enter construction). Are there similar ready-good-fast projects at the MBTA that would make the subject of a good TIGER application?

http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/us...unces-fifth-round-funding-tiger-grant-program

With the catch that funds have to be obligated by Oct 2014. I'm thinking this favors things like signals & CWR (rather than stations) and projects like the MBTA Key Bus Routes (which is just about to enter construction). Are there similar ready-good-fast projects at the MBTA that would make the subject of a good TIGER application?

Is GLX funding still lacking? Because, if so... here we go.

They could always try the 28X project again...

Can the wacky weekend schedule to/from Framingham be fixed now that freight is largely gone?

Last week the MBTA mobile ticketing app was updated to include Cape tickets. The FAQ section of the app also underwent an update of sorts. I recently bought a new phone, so I pulled out my old one with the old version of the app to make sure I wasn't imagining this.

The old app has a question in its FAQs about what types of tickets one can purchase on the app. The answer, which explains that monthly passes purchased on the app don't work on subway or bus, ends with the following sentence: "A full monthly pass is expected for mobile in early 2013."

Among the changes in the latest version of the app: this sentence has been deleted.

Looks like the T couldn't find any free labor to figure out how to implement this idea, and has instead started the process of quietly giving up on it. As of now, that language still appears on the T's online FAQ. Anyone want to take bets on how long that lasts?

The MBTA, quietly giving up since 1964.

I have been enjoying the 'ribbon's on the Green Line cars:

R1p5LXc.jpg

Not sure what happened at the T building yesterday, but boy were there a bunch of ladder trucks on High St!

BuTrqst.jpg

For those who care, the T is planning to unveil a new data interface for apps and web pages they are calling 'MBTA-realtime' and it will combine T-alerts, commuter rail, subway and maybe eventually bus real-time predictions along with alerts into one coherent interface.

Supposed to start up sometime in June and finish roll-out by the Fall, presumably.

For those who care, the T is planning to unveil a new data interface for apps and web pages they are calling 'MBTA-realtime' and it will combine T-alerts, commuter rail, subway and maybe eventually bus real-time predictions along with alerts into one coherent interface.

Supposed to start up sometime in June and finish roll-out by the Fall, presumably.
Glad to hear it- I've noticed both the iOS apps I use for tracking (openMBTA and Charlie Radar) have been increasingly unstable lately. (Today I had to resort to Nexmap, which I only bought out of curiosity awhile back)

New in my inbox:

Green Line experiencing 10-15 min delays due to a disabled trackless trolley 5/14/2013 4:27 PM

Is that a way to spin the fact that a train derailed, or did they confuse the Green Line with Mount Auburn Street?

They demoed the dispatchers interface and I saw that it has a bunch of clickable option drop-downs so I wouldn't be surprised if they occasionally click the wrong item.

New in my inbox:

Is that a way to spin the fact that a train derailed, or did they confuse the Green Line with Mount Auburn Street?

Neither. A trackless trolley (aka bus) is likely stuck directly across/on top of the Green Line tracks.

Buses are not trackless trolleys. They don't "troll" wires.

Yeah I know. It's a bus with a catenary wire. My bad for the wording. I thought that there was a trackless trolley that crossed the Green Line at some point, but there apparently isn't.

Probably just a typo then.

Maybe a silver line dual mode was being used as a shuttle and got stuck

Neither. A trackless trolley (aka bus) is likely stuck directly across/on top of the Green Line tracks.

Trackless trolleys only refer to the wired busses in Cambridge, Belmont and Watertown, and they never cross Green Line tracks. Sounds like a drop-menu error :)

The Haverhill line map is sobering also. Was it intended to remove all the grade crossings out to Reading when it was planned to extend the Orange Line there?

Back