General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Thanks, F-Line. Regarding BeeLine's question and your response above: Do you think that they could/would convert some of the single levels to "longer" distance cars with more comfortable seats? The purple things are OK for a while but for longer trips like the Cape Flyer or other future longer runs (New Hampshire, RI) could really do a number on your back, ass, and/or marriage. 2 by 2 Amtrak type seats with armrests, tray table, and recline would sure be nice.

Thanks, F-Line. Regarding BeeLine's question and your response above: Do you think that they could/would convert some of the single levels to "longer" distance cars with more comfortable seats? The purple things are OK for a while but for longer trips like the Cape Flyer or other future longer runs (New Hampshire, RI) could really do a number on your back, ass, and/or marriage. 2 by 2 Amtrak type seats with armrests, tray table, and recline would sure be nice.

That's probably a bit of overreach. Commuter rail should be commuter rail-oriented, and they should put their focus into getting the schedules capped at the 90-minute max threshold between comfort and ass fatigue in those seats. With speeds on all lines improved so it takes no more than 1 hour to hit 495, and more mixing of expresses vs. locals and shearing off the inner stops on "Fairmountable" lines like Worcester, Reading, Fitchburg out to Waltham. This means drawing the line on the Providence Line at T.F. Green when RIDOT South County CR opens, improving the Worcester Line's speed, moving Haverhill off the Reading Line, etc. Because those are "my ass hurts"-long end runs. And it is definitely a strike against South Coast Rail with how long the best-case scenario travel times are south of Taunton, and most definitely a DO NOT WANT on loopy proposals like Worcester Line to Springfield (which you would never want to try on a CR coach).

The NH extension proposals also do not entail locals stretching past the border. Plaistow is as far as an all-stops MBCR Haverhill schedule will ever go, and Nashua is as far as an all-stops MBCR Lowell schedule will ever go. If NHDOT ever builds out to Concord that will be an express run skipping every Massachusetts stop except Lowell and Anderson to likewise keep the travel time as close to the 90-100 minute ass-comfort threshold as possible. Ditto if they offered up an further Haverhill extension to Dover...that probably goes Lawrence, Anderson, North Station after leaving Plaistow and crossing the state line. Newburyport-Portsmouth is probably the only local that would stay local deep into NH since the travel times past Beverly were pretty crisp the last time it ran in the mid-60's. If anything, they might want to pry Swampscott, Lynn, and Chelsea off Newburyport/Portsmouth schedules and leave them Rockport- and Peabody-only to keep things moving, but the stops between 128 and 495 go a lot faster on the schedule than the sluggish inner ones.

If they were trying to orient to longer-distance travel, you eventually hit a point where they have to become a mini-Amtrak and offer concessions onboard for basic comfort. It's fine to have a cafe car for a fun run like Cape Flyer, but concessions are an operating loss leader for Amtrak and Metro North (which has some ass-hurt long locals). There is no way in hell the T would voluntarily want to get involved with that business. It paints a giant target on their backs for any critic of gov't waste.

I also can't see them setting aside more than 4-6 extra spare singles after they determine how much of the Bombardier fleet they're going to displace with bi-level options. Definitely the MBB's are no-go because they are too far gone. But the Bombardiers have enough life in them to actually get re-sold to another operator willing to put them through another midlife overhaul. So if the T put them up for sale they would get snapped up with the T pocketing some revenue from it. I could easily see CTDOT buying up a few to refurbish and run on New Haven-Hartford-Springfield CR when that starts operating in 2016...they're identical cars to the Bombardier-built Shoreliner fleet Metro North runs to Waterbury and Danbury. And CT doesn't want bi-levels in case it thru-routes anything to height-restricted Grand Central.

It just isn't cost effective for the T to rehab its singles any longer when they need bi-level seating capacity that badly. It's either double the per-car seating capacity or start spending hundreds of millions lengthening platforms across the system for longer trains. No-brainer choice. At least we can do real bi-levels that don't compromise the seating room after you get past the stairs. NJ Transit had the same capacity dilemma for its recent bi purchase, but is so height-restricted into Penn Station that it had to buy miniaturized-height bi's that are absolutely claustrophobic to ride in with low ceilings and no leg room. Commuters H-A-T-E them, but they had no choice...too many bodies, too few seats.

Have there been reductions in green line scheduling recently? Twice this week I've had to wait 20 minutes after just missing a train during rush hour. Usually just missing a train means a 7-10 minute wait, but this week has been particularly bad.

Probably means bunching and/or other schedule failure.

Probably means bunching and/or other schedule failure.

I should have mentioned that this is on the D line, so bunching shouldn't be an issue unless one of the trains temporarily broke down. However this happened twice in one week at the same time of day. Two trains breaking down at the same time of day for the same length of time seems unlikely. Also they're usually pretty good about announcing delays due to disabled trains, but there was no announcement here.

Also, while I was waiting 20 minutes for an inbound train, I noticed literally 5 trains went outbound. It seems like they've running trains at normal service levels during rush hour.

Bunching can be an issue on the "D" branch. Long dwells due to slow boarding and alighting procedures are the principle cause of it, and the "D" doesn't have any advantage in that regard. And of course, don't forget the lack of accessibility at stations.

Bunching can be an issue on the "D" branch. Long dwells due to slow boarding and alighting procedures are the principle cause of it, and the "D" doesn't have any advantage in that regard. And of course, don't forget the lack of accessibility at stations.

What on earth could cause long dwell times on the D?

Oh I know.

IGNORE THE EXPENSIVE VALIDATION MACHINES AND ONLY OPEN THE FRONT DOOR

What does roadway construction have to do with trolley busses being able to operate? Are they messing with the catenary?

I have a sneaking suspicious Belmont will use this change as a way of killing off the trackless trolleys from their town. Two years on diesel and they'll be pushing to make it permanent and take the catenary down.

Tracklesses have to stay within a pretty narrow lane in order to stay on the wire. That doesn't jive well with road construction where lane-shifting or detours are common.

But two years? Give me a break.

^
Ah ok. Makes sense. Honestly Belmont's roads are inexplicably god awful, so it may well take that long to get through the main roads to Waverley and the Center.

Still think the knucklehead Belmont transit NIMBYs will try to extend this hiatus indefinitely.

Must be some kind of air quality angle for transit activists to play up.

Must be some kind of air quality angle for transit activists to play up.

That is the angle, which has appealed to enough of the pearl-clutchers in past attempts to rid the town of TTs. Maybe it will work again, maybe not; but I don't expect the anti-TT crowd to let this opportunity pass them by without trying to pull a fast one.

Wonder if the roar of engines and smells of diesel will turn enough of the anti-TT crowd once this gets going?

Hope the MBTA puts the loudest, smelliest buses on the route :)

That is the angle, which has appealed to enough of the pearl-clutchers in past attempts to rid the town of TTs. Maybe it will work again, maybe not; but I don't expect the anti-TT crowd to let this opportunity pass them by without trying to pull a fast one.

Am I missing something? Why would a dirty, loud diesel bus be preferable to TT? If anything, I would think they would be fighting the TT hiatus? Does the anti-TT crowd just not want public transit in town?

They don't want public transit and/or they don't like the overhead catenaries. They call them eyesores.

It's fine to have a cafe car for a fun run like Cape Flyer, but concessions are an operating loss leader for Amtrak and Metro North (which has some ass-hurt long locals). There is no way in hell the T would voluntarily want to get involved with that business. It paints a giant target on their backs for any critic of gov't waste.

How do they managed to be a loss leader, anyway, given that they definitely charge a premium for the meals, and its not as though they're being prepared by a 5-star chef (usually just nuked)?

How do they managed to be a loss leader, anyway, given that they definitely charge a premium for the meals, and its not as though they're being prepared by a 5-star chef (usually just nuked)?

At the very least, there's the opportunity cost of extra seats it displaces.

State Senator Brownsberger provided some additional information on the dieselization (not word but I'm going with it) of the 73 as it relates to the full reconstruction of Belmont Street and Trapelo Road on his website.

January 1, 2013
The bids came in high because of some concerns about challenges that the project would raise — bidders seemed to view it as a tunnel project requiring special equipment and techniques because of the overhead trolley wires.

The T is planning to replace the wires anyway so we’re working on agreement where they would take the wires down, then the road project would happen, then they would put the wires back up. We are already planning to run diesel buses during the project period — the trolleys can’t leave their lanes, much less detour..

January 7, 2013
I can now report that the MBTA and MassHighway have worked this issue out. The MBTA has agreed to have the catenary wires removed during the project period and MassDOT has agreed to absorb the costs of the removal and reinstallation. The Federal Highway Administration has preserved the allocation of funds.

So, the revised basic plan is in place and the revised money is in place. Now, the project just has to move back through the bid process. I’m still waiting for confirmation of the new bid date. I’m still hopeful that we won’t lose much of the construction season.

February 21, 2013
The good news is that additional federal funds have been identified for the project, saving the state approximately $1.6 million. State funds that had been previously identified for the project will be designated for other purposes.

The bad news is that to take advantage of those federal funds, the project advertising will be delayed another couple of months, probably until late April. This will result in a mid-summer construction start.

As noted above, bids came in high for the project by about $4 million because contractors understood that they could not use normal equipment for the project. Because most of the project lies under the overhead wires for the trackless trolleys, and because regulations (MBTA and/or OSHA) prohibit equipment coming within 10 feet of those wires, the contractors were planning to use smaller equipment with a maximum height of 8 feet. Even when de-energized, as they would be for the project, the wires pose a hazard because they could be accidentally re-energized — workers near exposed wires have to assume that they could be live.

So, the project has been reconceived. The MBTA will remove the wires and put them back up after the project. The wires are approaching the end of their useful life anyway. That removal and replacement will cost approximately $1.6 million, but the construction bids should come in much lower than before, resulting in a substantial net savings.

Back