General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

All fare gates have had the top output slot for the CharlieTickets blocked because of repeated mechanical problems with the original through-path of the ticket. One fold and the thing is jammed to all hell. Now we're stuck with "the dance" as you've cleverly described it.

One more week until my Monthly Link on my CharlieCard from work gets activated. Had to wait a month, cause I started on the 8th. I've been having to buy weekly ones which for some reason cannot be put on a CharlieCard. (WTF?!)

Find me a single other agency in the world that makes it so hard to use their standard fare system.

Most American systems are a pain in one way or another. I usually prepare for a trip by trying to obtain the transit card in advance. The Bay Area Clipper Card I had to get at a Walgreen's. I ordered the CTA card in advance by mail. Pittsburgh seems to have just adopted the same exact system as Boston, but it's hard to get a card at will. NYC MetroCard machines always seem to give me trouble refilling my card, and I haven't mastered the "swipe" yet. And they all have that ultra-slow way of putting dollars in. I feel like the people working at vendors who produce fare boxes never actually ride buses using those fare boxes.

I've been pushing back on the front-door thing for a year now. Drivers are kinda half-enforcing it, half-not. It's incredibly stupid. Whenever I confront T officials about it, they always claim "but we're doing it because people complained about some guy getting in the back door." It's a ridiculous response since they don't actually measure fare evasion. That's why I called it a morality play.

There's many broken things about the T. Yeah, she should be working on fixing them, but it seems a bit harsh to blame her for it.

weekly ones which for some reason cannot be put on a CharlieCard.

You can get a weekly pass on a CharlieCard by going to a third-party vendor who has the Charlie machine. Like Star Market. I only found this out by asking someone who I saw tap and light up "Weekly" on the display. Why the official fare machines cannot fill a Weekly on a CharlieCard is a big mystery.

God forbid the transit police get out of their cruisers and idunno, ride the fucking trains. I guess giving out speeding tickets (I've seen them do it) is easier than protecting bus drivers from getting beaten up, customers from having bleach thrown in their face, checking for fare evasion, stopping people from pissing in elevators, un-blocking back doors blocked by SUV strollers and cracking down on panhandlers (which is a brand new thing up here, one of the things I liked about the T vs the MTA).

Wait, sorry, they do get out of their cruisers. But only when they are idiling in the bike/bus lane in front of a station while downstairs conducting security theater. At only one of several entrances.

On the other hand, in defense of not handing out charliecards, my girlfriend did amass a dozen or so when they gave them out freely because it was so easy. After they all expired/they made them hard to get I've have only had the one.

I offer proof of my above story

(last train of the night from South Station isnt that terrible)

DSC04419_zps9a6c5044.jpg

And also the realization that it could be worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xG-meaGqg-M

I noticed today while walking in this morning that the brick sidewalk at Gainsborough and Huntington northbound was all gone in a block, and a folding sign said it was an MBTA worksite and had the URL of the key bus routes page. So I assume some sort of shelter is going in for the #39?

The MBTA's favorite train manufacturer is leaving town.

In April of 2012, the LA Metro Transportation Authority ordered 78 light rail cars from Kinkisharyo. Today, they asked for 97 more to supply the new Crenshaw / LAX line and replace some trains that will be reaching their 27th and 28th years of service by the time the new cars arrive.

In response, Kinki announced that it's closing its U.S. headquarters in Boston and moving to El Segundo, while a manufacturing plant will be constructed in Palmdale.

It's great news for LA, but I think it speaks to a shift in momentum. The MBTA theoretically has a need for new cars, but the process is always going to happen real soon now.

Meanwhile, LA is on a construction spree and is already replacing obsolete equipment that is four years younger than the Type 7s on the Green Line.

Last edited:

That is terrible news. I was really hoping the T was going to write the Type 9 RFP to basically exclude everyone except Kinki Sharyo. Leaving Boston is not going to help that happen. The type 7s are the best damn trolleys I have ever ridden, and I'm sure the type 9s would be as good, if not better. Plus there was always the chance they could add the center section to the Type 7s, like they did for Dallas.

Yeah, I was hoping for the same thing from the Type 9 RFP, but I don't think this move is going to make their bid any lower, to say the least.

The older cars on the Metro Blue Line have endured some pretty brutal treatment, suffering more than 800 collisions. They need the most reliable vehicles money can buy.

How is a state that's in as bad of financial health as CA able to expand their mass transit so much?

It will be interesting to see if the overall attitude towards mass transit changes in Southern California. When I lived out there almost everyone I knew would not be caught dead riding the bus or the subway.

How is a state that's in as bad of financial health as CA able to expand their mass transit so much?.

LA County voted to approve a half cent sales tax for 30 years. Unlike the MBTA, the funds have been appropriated exclusively for expansion, not operations.

Now they're working on getting a private company to put a subway under the 405 in exchange for the right to design / build / operate a toll tunnel for cars along the same route. Work could begin in about two years.

It will be interesting to see if the overall attitude towards mass transit changes in Southern California. When I lived out there almost everyone I knew would not be caught dead riding the bus or the subway.

The stigma of not having a car / relying on car sharing is still very much a thing to be reckoned with, but riding the train is increasingly seen as a mainstream activity. Especially with the addition of late night service on weekends, along with some excellent PR campaigns.

Some people will still refuse to use the Metro admittedly because they define themselves as car drivers and will not do anything that counters that identity. It's silly.

Sadly, bus riders are still scorned.

CA is running a budget surplus last I checked. It was the depression that was behind the earlier financial woes.

CA is running a budget surplus last I checked. It was the depression that was behind the earlier financial woes.

Smoke and mirrors. Look at the massive cuts they've made and the tax increases passed to get to where they are. If they paid their true pension liabilities, they would not have this surplus.

Smoke and mirrors. Look at the massive cuts they've made and the tax increases passed to get to where they are. If they paid their true pension liabilities, they would not have this surplus.

The whole global economy is smoke and mirrors. It will continue to operate as long as most people believe it does.

If only the T operated like a modern globalized economy... we could party hardy with expansions and service as long as we made sure enough people lived in willful and blissful ignorance.

If massive cuts and tax increases will result in a significant upgrade in public transportation and the creation of new temporary construction jobs that would boost the local economy in the short run and then in the long run (when the city starts seeing economic returns on their public transportation investment) then by all means do so.

Because of the stupid inflexible "Buy America" and "Buy [THIS STATE]" requirements in transit orders a lot of the usual transit vehicle suspects (Kinki, Kawasaki, Bombardier, Alstom, Siemens, Hyundai-Rotem, Breda, etc. etc.) have the magical ability to open up new manufacturing capacity on short notice to suit new orders. For example, you can't build hardly anything for the MTA without having a plant in New York State because of how much local politicians interests have booby-trapped their ordering process.

This is why Kinki was here in the first place. It's why Hyandai-Rotem set up shop in Philly (because their initial commuter rail order was a "buy PA" deal for SEPTA's Silverliner EMU's).

The thing is...none of the components made here, none of the carbodies are pressed here. They're manufactured overseas, and assembled into macro-components. Then they come over on a boat and go by truck or freight rail to the "local" factory, only the final big pieces are assembled here, and the local field techs do the vehicle testing. It doesn't take a "headquarters"-level local presence to do (which is why Kinki's MA base is pretty low-key and not a huge employer). These companies have perfected their supply- and manufracturing-chains enough to permit these nomadic satellite assembly locations that follow the orders around the country. They can do as cost of doing business because they have full control where they plunk their overseas component manufacturing capacity and tend to be pretty brutally efficient at keeping their costs down from the source.

This is the folly of "Buy America" and how it's driven nearly every single American transit manufacturer out of the business. Homegrown manufacturers can't afford to have a New York assembly office to compete for MTA orders and a California office to compete for California assembly orders, and keep moving around for the politically motivated "Buy [THIS STATE]" requirements. They're punished by their higher labor costs at the component plants and at world headquarters. And American transit agencies end up paying the highest vehicle prices in the world (even for the non-FRA generics like subway cars and trolleys) because of the "Buy America" overhead associated with every remaining foreign company having to contort themselves with the same roving local assembly plants.

All this while the U.S. still dominates aerospace (which...just about all of the biggest foreign train makers dabble in too!), and still has a stable plurality of car manufacturing. Those companies won't touch this market any longer. Remember...as recently as the 70's Boeing bet big on transit vehicles because it (correctly) saw an emerging market. And it got its ass kicked by the (then-new) "Buy America" laws, and gave up before it had even had developed much real-world experience building them. The foreign competition gaming the system is part of what sank storied American mainstays like Budd and Pullman (ironically, both swallowed by Bombardier just north of the border). The only American dominance left in rail is with FRA-compliant push-pull locomotives--GE, EMD (ex-GM), MPI, etc.--because the U.S. is a completely different monoculture from the rest of the world with the hulking behemoths we're required to run and sheer disparity in freight vs. passenger traffic from the rest of the world. So the only reason for that source of bona-fide industry dominance is...also totally unnatural and dysfunctional due to self-defeating regulation.

The whole global economy is smoke and mirrors. It will continue to operate as long as most people believe it does.

If only the T operated like a modern globalized economy... we could party hardy with expansions and service as long as we made sure enough people lived in willful and blissful ignorance.

Sad, funny and entirely true.

More updates from GM Scott: the June 6th letter I mentioned earlier, and a July 16th letter more recently.

Thanks for posting this, interesting stuff. Am I reading it correctly that they aren't looking into TSP for the C branch yet? (only B and E?) I wonder if this is due to the majority of the C branch being in Brookline.

Back