General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I took a picture of the Tremont St. Subway (from the Boylston inbound platform) the other day that I thought was neat but wasn't sure where to post it, so here it goes.

Didn't realize how sharp the curves entering the station were even from that side- though I suppose it should be expected considering Park.

Nice pic. It's interesting they still have lights on that far down the tunnel.

Does anyone know why they laid the tracks with those S-curves at Boylston? Was it to avoid existing building foundations or other land (like the crazy curves to avoid the cemeteries between Park and GC)?

Nice pic. It's interesting they still have lights on that far down the tunnel.

Does anyone know why they laid the tracks with those S-curves at Boylston? Was it to avoid existing building foundations or other land (like the crazy curves to avoid the cemeteries between Park and GC)?

There is an active emergency exit down the inbound abandoned tunnel, situated right before the bellmouth structures that lead to the old flyover ramps. In the event the headhouses are blocked, people would get directed to walk the distance to that exit hatch on the Tremont St. sidewalk a block or two from the station. Exit's only via the inbound side tunnel, though...outbound tunnel is pitch black except for some lights directly underneath the active-tracks overpass that go to an adjacent pump room. And it's pitch black past that emergency exit. The tracks start up again soon after leaving the station...they're only removed inside the station in the area behind the historic cars.

The S-curve is there to keep the platforms as wide as possible on the offset stations. There used to be that underpass between platforms and 2nd sets of stairs at the far ends of each wedge, so the tracks weaved around those egresses:

Boylston_plan.png

I had no idea that Boylston originally had a passage connecting the platforms. I had seen the boards in the floor, but figured they were covering some sort of utilities or equipment. It probably got VERY seedy in that tiny tunnel, especially at the time of its closure when DTX was really rough.

I had no idea that Boylston originally had a passage connecting the platforms. I had seen the boards in the floor, but figured they were covering some sort of utilities or equipment. It probably got VERY seedy in that tiny tunnel, especially at the time of its closure when DTX was really rough.

The official reason it was closed was that they'd have to reinforce the ceiling to support the weight of modern LRV's on top of it. So when the Boeing order was placed they just filled it in with ballast and concrete. 1975-76, thereabouts. It was indeed a dank little thing.

The secondary exits were taken out much earlier. I think before the South End lines were even bustituted. If you look on the ceiling near the far end of the inbound platform you can see a filled-in cut in the steelwork.

There is an active emergency exit down the inbound abandoned tunnel, situated right before the bellmouth structures that lead to the old flyover ramps. In the event the headhouses are blocked, people would get directed to walk the distance to that exit hatch on the Tremont St. sidewalk a block or two from the station. Exit's only via the inbound side tunnel, though...outbound tunnel is pitch black except for some lights directly underneath the active-tracks overpass that go to an adjacent pump room. And it's pitch black past that emergency exit. The tracks start up again soon after leaving the station...they're only removed inside the station in the area behind the historic cars.

The S-curve is there to keep the platforms as wide as possible on the offset stations. There used to be that underpass between platforms and 2nd sets of stairs at the far ends of each wedge, so the tracks weaved around those egresses:

Boylston_plan.png

I know that's functionally why the S-curve is there, but I guess the part I don't understand is why they didn't dig a tunnel the full width required to accommodate the tracks without an S-curve. I think the whole right of way is offset from Tremont, right? And I know the burial grounds being right there was a contentious issue, but it seems like extending the cut-and-cover under the street would have been very simple, especially since the abandoned tracks travel directly under Tremont after Boylston.

I know that's functionally why the S-curve is there, but I guess the part I don't understand is why they didn't dig a tunnel the full width required to accommodate the tracks without an S-curve. I think the whole right of way is offset from Tremont, right? And I know the burial grounds being right there was a contentious issue, but it seems like extending the cut-and-cover under the street would have been very simple, especially since the abandoned tracks travel directly under Tremont after Boylston.

Trolleys and general traffic were being maintained on Tremont St while the very first section of tunnel was built. I'm guessing it was just much easier to do it this way, by taking an easement from the Common. There also might have been some of the very first sewer lines and whatnot under Tremont St.

If you do a google books searh for the first annual boston transit comission reports they go into a ton of detail about prett much everything. Someone on rr.net also put together a post with all the reports linkeed, I have it bookmarked but am on my phone all week... f-line urbex might have it bookmarked too

If you do a google books searh for the first annual boston transit comission reports they go into a ton of detail about prett much everything. Someone on rr.net also put together a post with all the reports linkeed, I have it bookmarked but am on my phone all week... f-line urbex might have it bookmarked too

I'm afraid I don't know of any master list of all reports compiled together. That would be a great idea, though, if it doesn't exist.

Looking at that station chart makes me sad. What a great set-up that was for merging two lines, just sitting there wasting away, while we continue to suffer an active Copley junction.

Looking at that station chart makes me sad. What a great set-up that was for merging two lines, just sitting there wasting away, while we continue to suffer an active Copley junction.

The EOT / MBTA just needs to tell the pols that it's a "commuter rail improvement project" and it'll get cash tomorrow.

Politicians don't ride the T, they won't know.

The EOT / MBTA just needs to tell the pols that it's a "commuter rail improvement project" and it'll get cash tomorrow.

Politicians don't ride the T, they won't know.

Or say "BRT" three times and have it blown up tomorrow at the bargain price of $4B.

You know, if it weren't for all the colonial-era graves that would've needed to be exhumed and moved in order to blow the thing up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/subway-map-artist-and-naughty-dog-settle-the-last-of-us-complain/

If anyone has not played the Last of Us for the PS3 (assuming you're a gamer), I highly recommend it. Fantastic game.

In any event, the artist of the MBTA map was not happy the map was featured very clearly in the game. Cameron Booth, the artist, complained and the game's developer has apparently reached an agreement with him.

Looks like they used his MBTA map redesign.

I'm afraid of what stop consolidation" might look like:

B Line - We don't touch BU's stops (save for a single, token consolidation), just a few past Washington St where they've been consolidated already.
E Line - Scaled-back to Brigham Circle.

That's the first I've heard of the Fenway Multi-use Trail. It appears to be an upgrade/replace/extension of some of the existing paths around the Fenway Station on the D Branch. In some places, it just means widening the pedestrian path that's already there. But the goal is a full tie from the Muddy River to the new Yawkey CR Station.

According to Page 35 to 42 of This Presentation [PDF] it runs from the outbound side of {EDIT}Fenway Station{/EDIT} (on the D), past the station, with some berms to keep the floods out of the tunnel, under Park St, over Miner St and then ties to Yawkey via the route of the "embedded" rails that bisect the big open parking lot there.

Nice.

Last edited:

That's the first I've heard of the Fenway Multi-use Trail. It appears to be an upgrade/replace/extension of some of the existing paths around the Fenway Station on the D Branch. In some places, it just means widening the pedestrian path that's already there. But the goal is a full tie from the Muddy River to the new Yawkey CR Station.

According to Page 35 to 42 of This Presentation [PDF] it runs from the outbound side of Kenmore Station (on the D), past the station, with some berms to keep the floods out of the tunnel, under Park St, over Miner St and then ties to Yawkey via the route of the "embedded" rails that bisect the big open parking lot there.

Nice.

It's the old stub of the B&A Riverside branch that stayed active as a long freight siding to the Sears Building. I had no idea CSX still owned the thing. The current Fenway Park access path must've just been on a temporary easement all these years.

It would be amazing if they tore down the fence at the end of the outbound platform

Back