General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Springfield is #11? PVRTA doing anything special to cause this?

Turns out, nationally, transit use is down among middle-and-lower earners but up among those making $75k+

But biking is up even more (see page 18)

Turns out, nationally, transit use is down among middle-and-lower earners but up among those making $75k+

But biking is up even more (see page 18)

A side effect if the increasing cost of housing near transit and the "ghetto-fication" of some suburbs.

I think it's because the Western Mass economy is in the shitter still.

Congratulations to the MBTA and Metro Boston: Boston among the metros with the largest decline in auto commuting between 2006 and 2013 (I some other significant share of the credit goes to the increase in bike commuting in that time too, but as discussed in the Biking in Boston thread, bikes and transit work together, and the T's increasing ridership shows it)
CMYTvaZVEAAZfl2.png:large

Car commuting fell from 78.9 to 75.6 percent of all commuting (a loss of 3.3% in share represents a 4.2% shrinkage in car-use).

Those car numbers are still so high! I wonder what the data would show for something smaller than MSA, like city proper or contiguous urban area.

Those car numbers are still so high! I wonder what the data would show for something smaller than MSA, like city proper or contiguous urban area.

Here's your answer for Boston, Cambridge, Newton, and "Framingham" (Framingham, as a CDP* may span several juridical towns and be the Census' way of saying "outer suburbs")

Locat'n: SOV ___ Transit ___ Walk ___ Bike
Boston: 40.6% ___33.0% ___14.5% ___ 1.9%
Cambr: 30.9% ___ 27.7% ___ 25.1% ___ 6.5% (note Harvard/MIT "walk" influence)
Newton: 67.2% ___ 11.0% ___ 4.7% ___ 1.4% (proxy for "inner" burbs?)
Frmhm: 73.4% ___ 5.2% ___ 5.2% ___ 0.6% (proxy for "far 'burbs")

This comes from the American Community Survey table S0801, "Commuting Characteristics by Sex" **

These numbers have fairly substantial margins of error, so scrolling to multiple-year sources lowers the margins but makes trend-spotting less fun/valid.

=============== Census Data Tips =================

*Census-Designated Place (kind of like saying "Route 128" or "North Shore" it can have different boundaries for the Census Bureau than "real life" or legally or what you'd think)

** 'by sex' is their way of saying "for everybody": it gives the biggest aggregation of responses and the lowest margin of error, and sometimes (as with biking) is the only way to get at very rare trends. If you cut it any finer, like by education, race, or income, the number of responses in each bucket gets too small and the margin of error gets nearly as big as thing you're trying to measure

Roll your own starting here: http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...iew.xhtml?pid=ACS_13_1YR_S0801&prodType=table

Last edited:

Snapped these pix this evening of the original entrances to ‪Symphony (IB platform):

dmtIHGV.jpg

8FxyIVn.jpg

IKQhDzE.jpg

Congratulations to the MBTA and Metro Boston: Boston among the metros with the largest decline in auto commuting between 2006 and 2013 (I some other significant share of the credit goes to the increase in bike commuting in that time too, but as discussed in the Biking in Boston thread, bikes and transit work together, and the T's increasing ridership shows it)
CMYTvaZVEAAZfl2.png:large

Car commuting fell from 78.9 to 75.6 percent of all commuting (a loss of 3.3% in share represents a 4.2% shrinkage in car-use).

Arlington -- I think it proves that statistics are always suspect

How many of the people who were working and taking transit in 2006 are still working in 2013 == not clear

Do it again this summer and it might be different as the number of people working is back up and so it the traffic

Arlington -- I think it proves that statistics are always suspect

How many of the people who were working and taking transit in 2006 are still working in 2013 == not clear

Do it again this summer and it might be different as the number of people working is back up and so it the traffic

Correct me if I'm wrong but this poll seems to be a poll of commuters, which to me means people with jobs, and therefore does not include the unemployed since they don't really commute anywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this poll seems to be a poll of commuters, which to me means people with jobs, and therefore does not include the unemployed since they don't really commute anywhere.

deh -- you missed the point

You really can't compare the two samples of the population as the economic situation was so different in the summer of 2006 compared to the summer of 2013 and then again this summer

a lot of those who n 2006 were working say on Rt-128 might be working part-time today at Home Depot or Walgreens

Meanwhile some who were students in 2006 and who graduated in 2013 are now working in a much busier Kendall Square

For your own sample -- Just drive around a bit -- the traffic that was everywhere in 2006 is BAAAAAK but Alewife while busy is still not filling up as early as it did in the DotCom / Telecom Bubble Era

But you can compare patterns. Yes employment patterns have changed a lot and that has changed how many people are driving but that is what happens over time things change. It doesn't make these stats useless it actually just helps illustrate how changes in development and economic centers has shifted towards areas that require less car use.

Also the Boston unemployment is not that high and I doubt that most people who were working at route 128 tech jobs are working at a home depot some might be but definitely not most so that probably doesn't have a huge impact.

tl:dr Yes the situation in employment is different, but that doesn't mean these changes are irrelevant.

But you can compare patterns. Yes employment patterns have changed a lot and that has changed how many people are driving but that is what happens over time things change. It doesn't make these stats useless it actually just helps illustrate how changes in development and economic centers has shifted towards areas that require less car use.

Also the Boston unemployment is not that high and I doubt that most people who were working at route 128 tech jobs are working at a home depot some might be but definitely not most so that probably doesn't have a huge impact.

tl:dr Yes the situation in employment is different, but that doesn't mean these changes are irrelevant.

City -- Unfortunately or fortunately the IEEE has real #'s based on how many members have signed up for the "unemployed or part time discount" to the membership

The sad fact is that despite the recent rebound here and everywhere else in the major "Tech Mechas" -- there are still many highly qualified mid-career engineers who lost their "dream job" in 2000 or 2007 and are still not back to what they consider career-stage appropriate

this aspect of the "Tech Recovery" -- shows up in the commercial real estate in places such as Burlington and Woburn and back of Bear Hill in Waltham where the 2nd tier -- less management jobs and more "industrial" jobs were located -- a lot of space is still vacant or only partially occupied

MBTA tightens reins on Keolis, sets on-time goals for rail operator

Dissatisfied with the reliability of the region’s commuter-rail service, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority on Friday vowed to get closely involved in its contractor’s day-to-day operations and adopted specific goals for the on-time arrivals of its trains.

Under the plan, the MBTA will require Keolis Commuter Services to operate trains on time at least 92 percent of the time. That would be a marked improvement over its performance during storms last winter, when tens of thousands of commuters were stranded by late or canceled trains.

A top state transportation official on Friday unveiled the plan at a meeting of the new board appointed by Governor Charlie Baker to fix the T, after last winter’s shutdown of the public transportation system.

92 percent OTP would be good and something we should achieve. The July scorecard showed 89% OTP for the South Side and 88% OTP for the North Side. Neither divison has had >90% OTP any month this year.

EDIT: I'll believe it when I can see it.

If these routes have low ridership and are money-losers for the T, why would a private company want to run these routes? Or are they going to jack the prices way up and not have a uniform fare system?

OMFG I'm on the B right now and want to kill myself. Why do I ever do this. WHY!?!???!?

That is all.

Boston Globe: Credit, debit machines shut down at MBTA subway stops

Credit and debit card fare machines were closed at all MBTA subway stops on Friday night for an undisclosed reason.

The agency said in a service alert on its website shortly before 10:30 p.m. that “Credit/Debit card fare machines sales are unavailable at all stations until further notice. Fare machines sales are unavailable on mbta.com.”

Wow. Talk about a major deterrent for anyone trying to patronize Friday night service, including college students who might be going out on the town for the first time.

Back