General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Behold, the shitshow in all its glory:

Dave ‏@N42_21_W71_04
#FareIsFair looks like fixed operation on only track 2 or 3 (South Station). @universalhub

https://twitter.com/N42_21_W71_04/status/728324006596616192

ChuG0AUVEAEClFr.jpg:large

ChuG0AYUgAEPynJ.jpg:large

I think I'm going to go over there on my way home tonight just to figure out what the heck they are doing.

Good Article on the shift of why Tech Companies are leaving the Innovation District for Downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...ens-of-tech-companiesleft-the-innovation.html

"The tenants are attracted to public transit."

I'm not sure why any of these companies would even consider paying more in rents to be in the innovation district vs Downtown.

The amenities of downtown are much more appealing then the overhyped Innovation District.

Only inept morons would hype this area up as the Innovation District which lacks proper infrastructure for public transit access.
Just look at the Commercial Rents in Cambridge vs Boston for instance.

Good Article on the shift of why Tech Companies are leaving the Innovation District for Downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...ens-of-tech-companiesleft-the-innovation.html

"The tenants are attracted to public transit."

I'm not sure why any of these companies would even consider paying more in rents to be in the innovation district vs Downtown.

The amenities of downtown are much more appealing then the overhyped Innovation District.

Only inept morons would hype this area up as the Innovation District which lacks proper infrastructure for public transit access.
Just look at the Commercial Rents in Cambridge vs Boston for instance.

The only allure for the Innovation District is that it is new. In a few years I expect the area to have low rents compared to downtown/back bay. However calling it the "innovation district" and over-hyping the area has helped the developers charge more than they should haha. I applaud the marketing that the city used to get it developed even though the infrastructure and the street level integration could have been thought out better. Hopefully the new bridge along with some silver line improvements will help make this neighborhood more desirable for tech companys.

The only allure for the Innovation District is that it is new. In a few years I expect the area to have low rents compared to downtown/back bay. However calling it the "innovation district" and over-hyping the area has helped the developers charge more than they should haha. I applaud the marketing that the city used to get it developed even though the infrastructure and the street level integration could have been thought out better. Hopefully the new bridge along with some silver line improvements will help make this neighborhood more desirable for tech companys.

TVsmith -- in case you haven't noticed they are not building office / lab space in any significant quantity in the DTX / Financial District -- all those mostly software /webware companies need is the same kind of space lawyers and accountants need -- hence the alure of the Financial District

On the other hand people working in places that need space for labs and light manufacturing are not moving in significant numbers into the DTX or Financial District as the conversion of traditional office to labs is not very easy

All of the "true tech companies" are either going to Cambridge or the Seaport / Innovation District either for new construction {e.g. Vertex} or retrofit {e.g. Rethink Robotics } or both GE

Come back in 5 years or so -- the Seaport / Innovation District will be in the same stage of growth and development as Kendall was about 10 years ago

They are already calling the Red Line the "Brain Train" for connecting Kendall with both the development at Alewife to the North and West and South Station and the Silver Line or feet to the Seaport / Innovation District to the South and East

Wow I guess someone forgot to tell Facebook and Twitter they aren't "real" tech companies because they don't need lab space.

Does anyone know if the $121M for Draw 1/Tower A at North Station listed in the MassDOT Draft CIP is for both drawbridges at North Station?

Does anyone know if the $121M for Draw 1/Tower A at North Station listed in the MassDOT Draft CIP is for both drawbridges at North Station?

Yes. Identical spans last rehabbed at identical time, identically due for a new rehab. I don't know which sequence #1 and #2 are being done in...doesn't really matter since the job and mid-construction impacts will be the same...but they're a married couple as far as this project is concerned.

Wow I guess someone forgot to tell Facebook and Twitter they aren't "real" tech companies because they don't need lab space.

citylover -- well they really are not tech companies in the true sense of the word -- Bank of America is much more of the tech company than Twitter

Besides those companies along with Amazon and Google have stayed in Cambridge ever since they arrived on the scene -- they never went to the Seaport / Innovation District and they never moved out

Once again -- the typical downtown Apware / software companies such as Bullhorn *1 don't need any facilities which are that different from what a law firm or a consultant such as PWC needs and wants. The developers could be on a mountain top in NH or on a beach on the Cape -- all they need is access to the Internet and a PC

*1 from the Bullhorn website
Many CRM systems are just glorified databases, reducing complex relationships to simple records. Bullhorn CRM, however, is a relationship management platform built for the way businesses work now. It’s mobile, intuitive, and completely automated so that your team has the time to focus on strengthening client relationships while Bullhorn does the rest.

Tell us more about the MBTA's CRM systems. This is engrossingly on-topic.

F-Line surely you jest - - up to this year the T's CRM consisted mostly of some signs on the vehicles, in the stations, and the web site -- but most significantly, so far the basic concept of CRM at the T -- is benign neglect -- they have taken the customer for granted and while they try to be friendly -- they don't really help

Perhaps the new guy from MIT will bring to the T the private sector's modern sense of what the whole idea of using technology to keep the customer in the loop, and to actually help the customer get where they are wanting to go as efficiently as possible
provide

So, while the new customer-centric initiative wont cost $Bs -- it has the potential to deliver some of the largest benefits that any change to the T has offered, since the Charley Card was introduced to replace the original "Charley on the MTA" tokens and turnstiles -- -- and I think that the Charlery has mostly delivered on its promise

Joe Pesaturo is bragging this afternoon about the $1000/m rent they're charging Clover to park at the former "Massachusetts" carhouse at Hynes on Newbury St.

Interesting to learn how much rent they charge.

You enjoy a Chickpea Fritter while the #MBTA gets $1,000/month rent from the new @cloverfoodtruck at #HynesStation

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/730795301943021568

CiROdDwWkAE4tGn.jpg

Great spot for a food truck, great rent for a food operation at that location.

I'm often put off by the sometimes tone-deaf PR strategy that he drives at the T. It's cringey at times.

MBTA's grown a bit more honest in their communications, but their overall strategy with customers and internally with their staff has a loooong way to go.

File this one under tiny wins. Too bad they don't work more closely with BRA on developer requirements for station/platform adjacent retail space, management, and profit-sharing... $1k/mo is a drop in the bucket as compared to what they could have been doing for the past decade and especially the upcoming decade of development.

Courtesy post: NEW CR SCHEDULES BEGIN TOMORROW MORNING, MONDAY MAY 23.

Back