General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Don't forget: The T is FREE AFTER 10:30 TONIGHT.

Except that they do.

Blandford Street (School of Management) to BU Central (School of Theology) is 0.4 miles, or 8 minutes walking, according to google directions.

Add in time inside building (3rd floor to 3rd floor) and this trip between classes is looking at 12 minutes.

BU gives 10 minutes between classes. Most professors do not approve of students being late.

Students absolutely walk out the building looking over their shoulder to see if the train is arriving to take them 2 stops.

And again, thats just between Balndford and BU Central. Classrooms span from Kenmore Square to Pleasant St.

1.1 miles, or 24 minute walk.

You still only get 10 minutes.

You switched your story. First it was BU students would abandon the T if they couldn't get from BU East to BU Central and now we're talking Blandford to BU Central. Two entirely different scenarios. One would still be able to ride from Blandford to BU Central if BU East is eliminated. It is the in between trips that are more costly in terms of time for the majority of B Line passengers.

Let's consider this: instead of entirely shuttering BU East, et. al., express all trains through them during rush hours. That way BU can get the coverage it needs for the majority of the day while everyone will have less stops to contend with during heavy commuting hours.

You switched your story. First it was BU students would abandon the T if they couldn't get from BU East to BU Central and now we're talking Blandford to BU Central. Two entirely different scenarios. One would still be able to ride from Blandford to BU Central if BU East is eliminated. It is the in between trips that are more costly in terms of time for the majority of B Line passengers.

Um, no, I didnt switch my story.

Do you want me to draft example using combinations of every single possible station stops?

Its called an example for a reason.

Let's consider this: instead of entirely shuttering BU East, et. al., express all trains through them during rush hours. That way BU can get the coverage it needs for the majority of the day while everyone will have less stops to contend with during heavy commuting hours.

Right, because BU professors, BU staff or BU students never use the T during rush hours.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217656314107067401485.0004a74b837af726e3710&msa=0

5 less stations for the B line. 3 of which come from BU and yet they still have 4 stops. This makes all the stops very evenly spaced, too (something I get all OCD about).

If you absolutely must have more localized service, then take a bus. I suggest there should be a bus making the same trip and then some (like the 39 bus to the E line). It should run down Comm Ave all the way to Centre St in Newtown and then down Centre to Newton Center. Loop at Kenmore like the 57, of course.

Why do you think that? A pass is a pass, MBTA doesnt care if youre just riding to enjoy the AC. Doesnt cost them anything.

If you can't figure out why it's important to know and report on where people are going then I think there's nothing I can do to help you?

Those are to get to the BU medical center from the river campus. And the dorm on Beacon/Mass Ave

2 or 3 years ago they were expanded to service the river campus at night, not sure if that is still running.

Maybe they should create a shuttle services down Commonwealth, similar to how BC shuttles run around their campus.

Maybe they should create a shuttle services down Commonwealth, similar to how BC shuttles run around their campus.

New pedestrian bridges + water taxi = never stuck in traffic.

Um, no, I didnt switch my story.

Do you want me to draft example using combinations of every single possible station stops?

Its called an example for a reason.

That won't be necessary. Just pointing out that using one example to support your assertion while using another to argue it further doesn't work well.

Right, because BU professors, BU staff or BU students never use the T during rush hours.

They aren't shuttling between local stops at those times.

But we're talking about changes in distance between stations of 1/5 mile or less. Bottom line is that many of the B Line stations are cannibalizing traffic from each other.

I'd be willing to bet that no one who is currently using the B Line will ditch transit altogether if stops like Allston Street were eliminated. That demand won't change in any real way because there is no bus that is more convenient and driving is still hugely expensive. We're talking about consolidating stops that are within two minutes' walking distance from one another. For those passengers, walking the extra two minutes will more than make up for the the increased efficiency and decrease in delays due to excessive and unnecessary stops along the way.

One thing to note here is that there are two delayed MassHighway projects for reconstructing Comm. Ave. that prevent the T from making a lot of short-term improvements to the B until they're finished. One is the BU Bridge-Packards Corner leg, to be done similarly as the Kenmore-BU Bridge segment with lane elimination and traffic calming. The other is a more radical reconstruction from Packards to Warren St. that eliminates the confusing express lanes/local lanes setup and relocates the entire B reservation to the middle of the road. That means probably little in the way of changes for the rest of the BU stops except for maybe doing ADA upgrades and widening the platforms. But Packards Corner, Harvard Ave., Griggs St., Allston St., and Warren St. stations would get completely torn down and reconstructed on the new reservation. I haven't seen any station designs because they're totally beholden to MassHighway to get funding for the roadway, but that would be the time they'd get to do all those considerations and re-plan the station spacing.

Unfortunately there's zero they can do in the meantime with stations that are going to be obliterated. And it also means they can't install signal priority between BU Bridge and Warren until all this road construction backup gets settled. Best they can do today is work with the city on getting some signal priority up the hill and out to BU Bridge, upgrade the remaining platforms like Blandford, Sutherland, Chiswick, and Chestnut Hill Ave. for ADA, and maybe bite on relocating South St. to a better-spaced stop. And certainly doing the C and E stop consolidations and turning on the signal priority on those two lines is going to help the B's schedules inside the subway in the interim. But they're pretty much beholden to MassHighway's funding purgatory on doing anything to help the 9 middle stops for foreseeable future.

Our government at work: MBTA's website says Route 39 work work will start in the fall,then earlier this year, spokesman said this summer, spokesman now says, next spring.

Route 39 work may start in spring
By David Taber, Jamaica Plain Gazette

MBTA senior planner Greg Strangeways told the Gazette last night that planned changes to the MBTA’s bus Route 39—three years in the making—may not happen until next spring.

The project includes the elimination of some stops and “bump-out” sidewalk extensions and improved amenities like new shelters and benches at others.

At a meeting last March, officials said the work would begin this summer. The MBTA website says the work will begin in the fall.

But, in an email, MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo today confirmed that the work would begin in spring 2012.

A meeting to review final changes to the plans will be held “late this year or early next year,” Strangeways told the Gazette.

Strangeways also told the Gazette that MBTA officials had settled one remaining controversy. One of the stop eliminations proposed in the plan is on South Street at Carolina Avenue and Custer Street. The Harvest Co-op Market there opposes the move and was never consulted about it, the T acknowledged.

Strangeways told the Gazette that the MBTA has spoken with Harvest and plans to retain that stop. But Harvest Co-op General Manager Mike St. Claire told the Gazette via email June 24 that he still has not heard from the MBTA.

Pesaturo told the Gazette that, “The MBTA has not yet released the latest changes to the Route 39 proposal, but staff did receive a lot of feedback about the Harvest Co-op bus stop, and it is likely that this bus stop will remain.”

The Gazette spoke to Strangeways at a meeting in Mission Hill about proposed improvements to Route 66.

One of those proposed changes—moving the current inbound and outbound Route 66 stops at Huntington Avenue and the Riverway to the corner of Huntington and S. Huntington—is intended in part to improve accessibility for passengers transferring between route 66 and 39.

Alison Pultinas, the lone Mission Hill resident at the meeting, objected to moving the Jamaicaway and Huntington Avenue stops to the S. Huntington/Huntington corner.

While that would shorten the distance passengers would have to walk to transfer to the Route 39 bus, it would eliminate a shelter offered by the Riverway overpass at the original location, she said.

She also noted that the sidewalks and intersection at Huntington and S. Huntington are already congested. The wait at a stop on the outbound side of the street—heading toward Brookline—would be particularly uncomfortable, she said, because of the narrow sidewalk there and an apartment building that comes right out to the sidewalk.

Strangeways said the MBTA would consider not moving those stops.

While the Route 39 improvement process began years ago, it has been included in a more recent federally funded MBTA improvement project aimed at the 15 most-used bus routes in the system, including Route 66.

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2011/06/24/6989/

I believe 2008 was the original implementation date.

4 year delay to eliminate some stops and extend the sidewalk at others.

Amazing.

Hmmm... The senior planner at MBTA is named "Strangeways"...
Too easy.

I believe 2008 was the original implementation date.

4 year delay to eliminate some stops and extend the sidewalk at others.

Amazing.

Eliminating bus stops is incredibly difficult. One would think the MBTA should have the right to do as it wishes, but instead they have to get the run around from those nearby, petition legislation, etc... Bunch of bureaucratic BS.

Once that's all done I can't see anything legitimate holding up the bump outs.

One thing to note here is that there are two delayed MassHighway projects for reconstructing Comm. Ave. that prevent the T from making a lot of short-term improvements to the B until they're finished. One is the BU Bridge-Packards Corner leg, to be done similarly as the Kenmore-BU Bridge segment with lane elimination and traffic calming. The other is a more radical reconstruction from Packards to Warren St. that eliminates the confusing express lanes/local lanes setup and relocates the entire B reservation to the middle of the road. That means probably little in the way of changes for the rest of the BU stops except for maybe doing ADA upgrades and widening the platforms. But Packards Corner, Harvard Ave., Griggs St., Allston St., and Warren St. stations would get completely torn down and reconstructed on the new reservation. I haven't seen any station designs because they're totally beholden to MassHighway to get funding for the roadway, but that would be the time they'd get to do all those considerations and re-plan the station spacing.

Unfortunately there's zero they can do in the meantime with stations that are going to be obliterated. And it also means they can't install signal priority between BU Bridge and Warren until all this road construction backup gets settled. Best they can do today is work with the city on getting some signal priority up the hill and out to BU Bridge, upgrade the remaining platforms like Blandford, Sutherland, Chiswick, and Chestnut Hill Ave. for ADA, and maybe bite on relocating South St. to a better-spaced stop. And certainly doing the C and E stop consolidations and turning on the signal priority on those two lines is going to help the B's schedules inside the subway in the interim. But they're pretty much beholden to MassHighway's funding purgatory on doing anything to help the 9 middle stops for foreseeable future.

I'm glad there are plans to completely redo the entire BU Bridge-Warren segment. Are there any plans online anywhere? I'd love to see them.

But in the mean time, I feel like closing certain stations during rush hours (7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m.) would be easy operationally to do, just throw up some signs saying all trains bypass Allston St/Babcock St/St Paul St/BU East during those times. Might have some resistance from BU, but based on college scheduling (and own personal observations on the B Line) most students/faculty will be shuttling around BU between rush hours. Not to mention most trains are already extremely crowded before reaching the BU stops.

Bottom line, though, ANYTHING would be better than the status quo.

Tombstoner said:
Hmmm... The senior planner at MBTA is named "Strangeways"...
Too easy.

Way too funny. :D

Those are to get to the BU medical center from the river campus. And the dorm on Beacon/Mass Ave

2 or 3 years ago they were expanded to service the river campus at night, not sure if that is still running.

Just a correction. The BU Shuttle Bus stops at SMG, Marsh, and West (and at late nights - Warren and South during those times). Students do/I did use them to go around the campus, but their frequency isn't high enough to always use them. In a 10 minute span, you have only 1 bus assuming it is not late or early.

The complaint from the grocery store that would have lost its bus stop seems legitimate to me. They probably know better than the MBTA how many customers the bus brings to them every week.

I'm glad there are plans to completely redo the entire BU Bridge-Warren segment. Are there any plans online anywhere? I'd love to see them.

But in the mean time, I feel like closing certain stations during rush hours (7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m.) would be easy operationally to do, just throw up some signs saying all trains bypass Allston St/Babcock St/St Paul St/BU East during those times. Might have some resistance from BU, but based on college scheduling (and own personal observations on the B Line) most students/faculty will be shuttling around BU between rush hours. Not to mention most trains are already extremely crowded before reaching the BU stops.

Bottom line, though, ANYTHING would be better than the status quo.

Haven't seen any diagrams or plans, although there was (can't find it) a pretty lengthy description of the project details that I saw online a few years ago.

BU Bridge to Packards is a straightforward one: it's going to be a carbon copy of what they recently finished on the Kenmore-BU Bridge stretch. They're going to narrow the road to 2 lanes (except for left-turn lanes and the right-turn lane at Mountfort St.), widen the median in place of the old left lane and plant a few trees, add a bike/quasi-bus lane, replace all the mechanical-control traffic signals with digital signals that can be coordinated (and given trolley priority), redo the sidewalks and widen in isolated spots, replace any remaining lighting that hasn't gotten the new decorative fixtures (all of eastbound and a stretch of westbound past Student Village still have the fugly old energy-inefficient fixtures), do traffic-calming crosswalks and curb-jut crosswalks + parking space constraints, and resurface the badly chewed-up roadbed. They aren't going to touch the Pike bridge because that's the Pike's jurisdiction, and the trolley reservation won't be impacted at all. Reason the T wants to wait before renovating more of the stations is because the widened median will give it space to increase the width of the platforms and make the stations a bit more spacious.

The Packards-Warren reconstruction is more radical. They're completely getting rid of the center express lanes/side local lanes setup that's so dangerous and confusing, and remaking the roadway into a more straightforward Beacon St. Brookline-like setup with center median. I don't know if it's also going to have Beacon's angled parking, but that would be really beneficial because they'd have the room to do both that and regular sidewalk on-street. The B would of course have to be shuttered entirely while they rip it down, build the new center median, and re-lay the tracks/overhead and rebuild the stations. Stations there would also be much more spacious than the side reservation currently allows, which will help a lot at too-narrow Harvard Ave. And they may be able to eliminate the Linden St. grade crossing and a couple of the pedestrian grade crossings with the new setup.

I would also hope that they'd consider doing a Blandford St.-style turnback track past Harvard Ave. so there's ability to short-turn trains there. Ridership drops off a lot past there, and it would go a long way towards saving the B if you could do short-turns there at peak hours. Maybe even with fewer trains up the hill being counterbalanced by a few C trains (or even D's) extended to BC via Chestnut Hill Ave.

Rest of that project's going to have the normal streetscaping, traffic calming, and signal improvement perks going on lower Comm Ave.. But it'll look a lot like the C line up to Warren Ave., which will be a massive improvement for road traffic, trolley traffic, and especially pedestrian traffic at risk from the confusing crossings and speed traps there. Past Warren everything stays the same. The hill makes the westbound local lane a keeper because it's at a different grade from the rest of the roadway, the traffic and crossings aren't nearly as dangerous, and the trolleys are already properly located in the center of the road. They could do a remake of Washington St. to Chestnut Hill Ave. and eastbound lane consolidation down the hill later on, but it's surplus to a requirement right now vs. the much higher priority projects. Chestnut Hill Ave.-BC is just a normal roadway with no local lanes, so they're never going to fundamentally touch that.

Better idea + Place green line underground.

Build/sell buildings in existing median.

Profit.

Umm ... buildings in existing median? Do you realize how narrow it is?

Back