General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

It could also be replaced with more of this:
mall00272.jpg

Neither idea would be objectionable to me

I say we wait for a successful RKG before we try extending the Comm. Ave. mall. I like this buildings in the middle idea, though we need to be sure there is room for bike lanes.

Anyone know what font the MBTA uses for station names on its map? Need to know ASAP but can't figure it out.

Anyone know what font the MBTA uses for station names on its map? Need to know ASAP but can't figure it out.
The MBTA has used Helvetica on its maps and signage since 1965. Note the rounded R. This was the largest widespread use of Helvetica in the world at the time (and was the first time it had been used in its original form with no modifications).

subway-spider.jpg

MIT's Rotch Library of Arch & Planning has the original MBTA Graphic Standards Manual that Cambridge Seven published in the 60s, if you ever happen to be in the area. It's a fascinating of set of 500+ page binders.

MBTA_6501_2_L_Graphics-Pann(1).jpg

Arlington was the prototype station. Also of note is the A-Line.

Last edited:

I don't recall ever seeing bus stop signs (or bus rollsigns?) like the two shown in that graphic.

Very interesting, thanks!

And I must say, I've never seen any rollsigns like that either.

Now I just need to find a website that has it for free... every website I find has it for $25-$29...

My Mac has Helvetica. I'm not sure which program suite installed it though.

You won't find actual Helvetica anywhere for free. There are several free substitutes, though, like Coolvetica.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/larabie/coolvetica/coolvetica/

Awesome, thanks! It's pretty cool so I'm sure I'll use it for something, I dig the font. :)

For right now, I only needed it for a few station names so I could print out a shirt transfer. One of the websites offered free previews of your own text so I was able to just type in the names and leach the generated images and insert them in the image I'm printing. :rolleyes:

Green Line train derails, passengers stuck underground
http://www.metro.us/boston/boston/a...ne-train-derails-passengers-stuck-underground

Got stuck dealing with this fiasco inbound around 6:30 and outbound around 10 p.m. The inbound part wasn't so bad; but getting home hours later was a disaster. It took over an hour to get from Government Center to Washington Street. Got on a B train at Government Center which miraculously turned into a C train between Park and Boylston. No announcement whatsoever that the problem was ongoing and no advance notice of what to do.

Still not quite sure why the inbound route was affected at all. Or why they couldn't keep outbound service going between Kenmore and Blandford (using the switchback at Blandford to reverse the trains) considering the issue was the switch between the B and C/D tracks outbound. Overall, it was a very poorly handled situation.

Love the lack of coverage in any of the major newspapers.

Why cover what is expected? It'd be like covering the sun rising today.

Thought this was amusing. The maps on the Redline have been fading for years. Instead of sticking on new maps, the T uses a Sharpie and fills in the station names. (Or possibly a good samaritan) I've seen alot worse than the photo below. Thoughts?

taken 7/20/11

IMAG0446.jpg

Thought this was amusing. The maps on the Redline have been fading for years. Instead of sticking on new maps, the T uses a Sharpie and fills in the station names. (Or possibly a good samaritan) I've seen alot worse than the photo below. Thoughts?

taken 7/20/11

IMAG0446.jpg

Some of the DIY infill stations that get Sharpied on that JFK/North Quincy gap are amusing. I saw a "Terrordome" there a couple months ago that made me LOL.

So, I'm on the OL headed home from work yesterday around 4:30 and the train is pretty well packed, including a older woman, her daughter, her two kids and carriage. A group of people board at North Station, the older woman says across the aisle to the the younger one. "Oh my God! I don't know how these people do this every day! These poor people! This is terrible!"

Fuck. You.

Yeah because sitting in traffic on 128 is so much better, ha.

Try a packed bus stuck in traffic with no AC.

So, I'm on the OL headed home from work yesterday around 4:30 and the train is pretty well packed, including a older woman, her daughter, her two kids and carriage. A group of people board at North Station, the older woman says across the aisle to the the younger one. "Oh my God! I don't know how these people do this every day! These poor people! This is terrible!"

Fuck. You.

Hahaha.....I love when people feel the need to voice their thoughts while riding the T. I take the T to/from work 5 days a week and would take a crowded subway car over sitting in traffic and burning gas (and money) any day.

My feeling was that these two didn't really commute anywhere but were stay at home wives having an adventure in the city for the day.

I wonder what they would say about the Green Line circa 8:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. :p

Back