General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Hahaha I had no idea Matthew was the Walking Bostonian. We really went at it last night. This explains a lot though.

I still disagree that the Globe article was solely about the 34. It was a route picked out of nowhere as an example (probably the author's route) and the author even acknowledges service may need to just remain the same on that route. I believe the article was about auditing the T's bus routes for efficiency, which I see no problem with and judging by Matthew's blog post, he sees no problem with because the T used to do this. Matthew went off the wall on Twitter with me last night and started comparing it to urban renewal and destroying Roxbury. No one is calling to cut new streets. This is just typical Matthew thinking - always resorting to the extremes.

Ari's posts about fixing the 70's route and ending buses subsidizing malls (coincidentally the 34E! - which Matthew brushes over in his post) are reasonable proposals where routes CAN be reworked.

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-70-bus-is-just-bizarre.html
http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2015/01/dont-use-bus-routes-to-subsidize-malls.html

There is also nothing saying that we can't have bus lanes, POP, etc. AND some reworked routes. If you think we should have bus lanes (which we should), write a damn editorial!! If you think you have better ideas than the Globe, write a damn editorial instead of just talking about it with your transit allies.

Last edited:

The big things the T would benefit from would be rationalizing some of the oddballs, gaining a few high-demand routes (Kenmore-Central-Harvard and Ruggles-Mass Ave-Kendall, etc), and investigating frequency. There are a lot of routes than would do so much better with consistent clock-face scheduling - I suspect the resulting consistent service and perception boost would outweigh additional waits at some terminals.

Rationalizing the Washington Street buses (or even 4 of them) into a single Silver line (limited stop, signal priority, Key Bus stuff, shelters, owl service) is a perfect test case for bus rationalization. Discuss more in the Bus & BRT thread.

I think this information is somewhere on here, but I can't find it:

A list of stations where MBTA trains (Red/Orange/Blue/Green) can turn-around/terminate their trip.

For example, on the Green Line, northbound trains can turn around at Lechmere, North Station, Government Center, Park Street. I don't know all of the stations for which each of the lines can turn around in one or both directions. Does anybody know a resource that would show maybe one line or the system or something of that variety?

Can Southbound Red Line trains turn-around at South Station? I think not, but I'd love to have access to information like that. Thank you in advance.

^ That would be a good resource. I wonder if there are track maps anywhere that show where there are crossovers. It's pretty well known where the loops are, but where the crossovers are is less clear.

These are the stations that I believe there are crossovers between - please correct/add to the list.

Red Line between:
Alewife and Davis
Harvard and Central
South Station and Broadway
Andrew and JFK
JFK and North Quincy/Savin Hill
Quincy Adams and Braintree
Is there one in Quincy as well?

Orange Line between
Turnaround at Wellington
Wellington and Sullivan
Community College and North Station
Forest Hills and Green
Where are the others? I'm not too familiar with where they have Orange short turn when there are disruptions.

Blue Line between
Maverick and Airport
Loop between Orient Heights and Suffolk Downs
Any other spots?

I don't really know where Green's crossovers are at all. Between Arlington, Boylston and Park I think. Between Kenmore and Hines. Reservoir has a set east of the station. Does B have one at all? It should have one east of Harvard Ave. E has a set at Brigham. Anywhere else?

As for your South Station question, I don't believe southbound trains can short turn at South Station, though they can at Broadway. I think northbound trains could turn at South Station though.

This is a start, possibly outdated a bit:

calcagno-boston-track.gif

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/MBTA_Rapid_Transit_Track_Map

Also this:

MBTA+AVI+Location-MAP.png

http://bostontoat.blogspot.com/2013/09/green-line-train-arrival-signs-how-they.html

Last edited:

Thanks to you both! Two of ArchBoston's best ftw. Not surprised.

I think this information is somewhere on here, but I can't find it:

A list of stations where MBTA trains (Red/Orange/Blue/Green) can turn-around/terminate their trip.

For example, on the Green Line, northbound trains can turn around at Lechmere, North Station, Government Center, Park Street. I don't know all of the stations for which each of the lines can turn around in one or both directions. Does anybody know a resource that would show maybe one line or the system or something of that variety?

Can Southbound Red Line trains turn-around at South Station? I think not, but I'd love to have access to information like that. Thank you in advance.

This is probably well out-of-date, but you can theoretically reverse anywhere there's a crossover. Most of these are not used except in emergency service disruptions, however. And a lot of the emergency ones are hand-throw crossovers requiring an onsite track worker.

calcagno-boston-track.gif

Here's the list of ones I recall have seen actual use for non-emergency turnbacks.

* = infrequent or special-event use
** = used only for operator shift changes
*** = used only for street-running service disruptions

Green eastbound:
-- Kenmore* (Sox games, C/D tracks only)
-- Park
-- GC
-- North Station
-- Lechmere (**post-GLX, will be done on shift changes since carhouse is before next stop)
-- (Union Sq.)
-- (College Ave...later Route 16)

Green westbound:
-- GC* (Garden events)
-- E: Northeastern***
-- E: Brigham Circle*/*** (<-- hand-throw crossover; intermittently used only because of the staggered-platform setup)
-- E: Heath St.
-- D: Reservoir**
-- D: Riverside
-- C: Cleveland Circle
-- C: Boston College** (<-- Rule violation if an operator lets passengers stay aboard when making this shift change, but I've actually made this trip in revenue service before.)
-- B: Blandford* (Sox games)
-- B: Boston College

Fenway and St. Mary's mimic Blandford--sans pocket track--as preferred turnbacks for westbounds when the C or D is disrupted or is having a weekend bustitution. Washington St. on B and Coolidge Corner on C have also been used within last couple years for service FUBAR closures.

Orange:
-- Forest Hills
-- Wellington**
-- Oak Grove

Mass Ave. is where they were turning for a little while after the blizzard.

Blue:
-- Bowdoin
-- GC (nights/weekends)
-- Orient Heights**
-- Wonderland

Airport was turnback for a little while after the blizzard.

Red:
-- Alewife
-- JFK**
-- Ashmont Branch: Ashmont
-- Braintree Branch: Braintree

Quincy Center was the end of the Braintree Branch from 1971-80 until they belatedly opened the last 2 stops, so this is still set up with the old automated pocket track turnback. Not used for shift changes, and I can't remember the last time it was used in a service disruption.

Mattapan:
-- Ashmont
-- Mattapan

There are no crossovers period outside Mattapan yard, and the PCC's are single-ended and can't run in reverse.

Red mainline is really in a tough spot since the emergency crossovers are so cumbersome to use for regular service they'd grind everything to a halt. No way to change ends fast enough to not foul the next headway, and structural mods for any pocket track are impossible in any place where they'd do the least bit of good.

EDIT: Looks like eleventeen people beat me to the punch! :)

Packards, Blanford, and a few other turnbacks have a little operators shack that can be staffed, while other switches are literally thrown with a glorified crowbar. Kenmore is interesting because the operator controls the switch via a button on the wall.

Anyone have a similar map for Commuter Rail?

This is the most recent I've seen - up to 2010. It's still largely accurate save for the Fitchburg and Haverhill double tracking work.

Bitch and moan time:

Keolis and the Commuter Rail is amazing at turning away passengers: hence, it's abysmal and declining ridership that bucks the national trend of increased interest in Commuter Rail.

Story:

On Sunday, a beautiful day, I decide to check out the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. I was planning on taking the Commuter Rail outbound from Porter to South Acton with my bicycle (it was Sunday after all), biking from South Acton to Lowell, then taking the Commuter Rail inbound to West Medford and biking home.

Got to Porter with my bike and there were three other people with bicycles boarding the train. The conductor helps us load our bikes onto one of the nearly empty cars, and was all-around very helpful to me and my fellow passengers. The way it should be.

I bike to Lowell and all is well. The train arrives and the conductor of the Lowell Line train informs me that I can't bring my bike on the train. "It's Sunday," I say, thinking that she is mistaking the run for a rush hour run. She says that because the Marathon is the next. day. there are no bikes allowed on any Commuter Rail trains and shows me the memo sent by the transit police.

I am more informed than the average rider on issues related to the MBTA, and had no idea about this restriction. So, they clearly didn't do a good job of posting it. Monday - sure. I wouldn't expect to be able to take my bike on a train on Marathon Monday. The DAY BEFORE the marathon, on the other hand, and what's the problem?

The conductor informs me that it was posted on the website, as well as at North and South Stations. Well, I don't use North and South Stations, and the website post claim was tenuous at best. It was nowhere to be seen in "Bikes on the T," "Service Updates," or the Fitchburg Line schedule. I know, as I check those things regularly (yes, I'm a nerd) and checked again later that day. There were no announcements made on board, or at any of the stations I use (Porter and Waverley mainly).

I ask the conductor why she wouldn't allow a bike on. She claims it is due to the crowds. Huh? Crowds the FUCKING DAY BEFORE the marathon. People weren't taking the Lowell Line on Sunday to see Monday's marathon. In fact, there were three, yes three, unopened cars that were completely empty when the train departed Lowell.

Other passengers saw how ridiculous the conductor was being, and offered to help. A couple passengers even offered to help me disassemble the bike, then we could each carry on a couple pieces. Surely this wouldn't qualify as bringing a "bike" on the nearly empty, Sunday afternoon, Commuter Rail train.

Nope. "I won't allow it," was all she would say.

I offered to pay double fare, one for me and one for my bike, or just about do anything. Nope. Completely unwilling to work with me in the 15 minutes we had before the train needed to depart.

I gave my pre-paid commuter rail ticket to a guy whose friend was trying to get him to board the train to go to detox (but wouldn't give him cash...because...well...you know), so at least it went to good use.

There I was, stranded in Lowell with my bike that I need to commute to/from work. What did I do? I biked from Lowell to Somerville. An additional 25 miles that I wasn;t planning on riding. Kind of ridiculous.

People wonder why Keolis and the MBTA Commuter Rail struggle with abysmal ridership? It is that conductor right there. And others like her. It's called customer service. That was just about the most ridiculous experience I've ever had on public transportation and I've been riding in a variety of areas for a long time.

It's a shame that this lack of customer service overshadows the good customer service I received on the earlier Fitchburg Line run.

tl;dr:

On Sunday, a conductor wouldn't allow me to bring a bike onto a Commuter Rail run that was nearly empty, because of perceived crowd related to the marathon that wasn't even taking place that day. I had to bike from Lowell to Somerville due to this ridiculous lack of customer service.

Bitch and moan time:

Keolis and the Commuter Rail is amazing at turning away passengers: hence, it's abysmal and declining ridership that bucks the national trend of increased interest in Commuter Rail.

Story:

On Sunday, a beautiful day, I decide to check out the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail. I was planning on taking the Commuter Rail outbound from Porter to South Acton with my bicycle (it was Sunday after all), biking from South Acton to Lowell, then taking the Commuter Rail inbound to West Medford and biking home.

Got to Porter with my bike and there were three other people with bicycles boarding the train. The conductor helps us load our bikes onto one of the nearly empty cars, and was all-around very helpful to me and my fellow passengers. The way it should be.

I bike to Lowell and all is well. The train arrives and the conductor of the Lowell Line train informs me that I can't bring my bike on the train. "It's Sunday," I say, thinking that she is mistaking the run for a rush hour run. She says that because the Marathon is the next. day. there are no bikes allowed on any Commuter Rail trains and shows me the memo sent by the transit police.

I am more informed than the average rider on issues related to the MBTA, and had no idea about this restriction. So, they clearly didn't do a good job of posting it. Monday - sure. I wouldn't expect to be able to take my bike on a train on Marathon Monday. The DAY BEFORE the marathon, on the other hand, and what's the problem?

The conductor informs me that it was posted on the website, as well as at North and South Stations. Well, I don't use North and South Stations, and the website post claim was tenuous at best. It was nowhere to be seen in "Bikes on the T," "Service Updates," or the Fitchburg Line schedule. I know, as I check those things regularly (yes, I'm a nerd) and checked again later that day. There were no announcements made on board, or at any of the stations I use (Porter and Waverley mainly).

I ask the conductor why she wouldn't allow a bike on. She claims it is due to the crowds. Huh? Crowds the FUCKING DAY BEFORE the marathon. People weren't taking the Lowell Line on Sunday to see Monday's marathon. In fact, there were three, yes three, unopened cars that were completely empty when the train departed Lowell.

Other passengers saw how ridiculous the conductor was being, and offered to help. A couple passengers even offered to help me disassemble the bike, then we could each carry on a couple pieces. Surely this wouldn't qualify as bringing a "bike" on the nearly empty, Sunday afternoon, Commuter Rail train.

Nope. "I won't allow it," was all she would say.

I offered to pay double fare, one for me and one for my bike, or just about do anything. Nope. Completely unwilling to work with me in the 15 minutes we had before the train needed to depart.

I gave my pre-paid commuter rail ticket to a guy whose friend was trying to get him to board the train to go to detox (but wouldn't give him cash...because...well...you know), so at least it went to good use.

There I was, stranded in Lowell with my bike that I need to commute to/from work. What did I do? I biked from Lowell to Somerville. An additional 25 miles that I wasn;t planning on riding. Kind of ridiculous.

People wonder why Keolis and the MBTA Commuter Rail struggle with abysmal ridership? It is that conductor right there. And others like her. It's called customer service. That was just about the most ridiculous experience I've ever had on public transportation and I've been riding in a variety of areas for a long time.

It's a shame that this lack of customer service overshadows the good customer service I received on the earlier Fitchburg Line run.

tl;dr:

On Sunday, a conductor wouldn't allow me to bring a bike onto a Commuter Rail run that was nearly empty, because of perceived crowd related to the marathon that wasn't even taking place that day. I had to bike from Lowell to Somerville due to this ridiculous lack of customer service.

I would send that account to the T. That's really ridiculous. I couldn't imagine what I'd do stranded in Lowell. Props to you for biking those 25 miles!

This is the most recent I've seen - up to 2010. It's still largely accurate save for the Fitchburg and Haverhill double tracking work.

FYI...drop the "s" from "https" in the URL and it's less flaky at loading. I was getting some 404 errors.

Perhaps easier to say from the comfort of my desk, but why didn't you just board with your bike and let the conductor choose whether to depart on time or delay the train to call the Transit Police?

As you point out, there was no public announcement of a ban on bikes Sunday.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ents/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

"All bikes (including folding bikes) will be prohibited on board trains on Monday, April 20."

UPDATE: I exchanged some direct messages with the T's social media Twitter spokesperson.

"Yes, that's correct. Due to congestion, bikes were not allowed on the Commuter Rail on both Sunday and Monday."

"Yes this information was made available on our Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day events page."

"It was also announced via Twitter: https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/589861029271642112"

When I shared the above cached view, the reply was: "The information re: no bikes on Sunday was posted on our website on Thursday, April 16."

Long story short: the conductor was right about the ban on Sunday, but this was clearly a last-minute change that the T advertised horribly.

Last edited:

Perhaps easier to say from the comfort of my desk, but why didn't you just board with your bike and let the conductor choose whether to depart on time or delay the train to call the Transit Police?

As you point out, there was no public announcement of a ban on bikes Sunday.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ents/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

"All bikes (including folding bikes) will be prohibited on board trains on Monday, April 20."

UPDATE: I exchanged some direct messages with the T's social media Twitter spokesperson.

"Yes, that's correct. Due to congestion, bikes were not allowed on the Commuter Rail on both Sunday and Monday."

"Yes this information was made available on our Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day events page."

"It was also announced via Twitter: https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/589861029271642112"

When I shared the above cached view, the reply was: "The information re: no bikes on Sunday was posted on our website on Thursday, April 16."

Long story short: the conductor was right, but this was clearly a last-minute change that the T advertised horribly.

Thank you very much for the advocacy.

Re: boarding with the bike anyways - after she showed me the transit police memo, I realized that the law wasn't on my side and didn't want to end up with legal ramifications, as bullshit as that was. It was something I considered, though.

I wasn't willing to back up the "you'll need the transit police to force me off the train" statement I would have had to make. All around, an extremely frustrating and downright wrong position for the MBTA to have to put me in.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the LRTA police that were in the station were sympathetic and surprised to hear what she did. I'm inclined to believe, in hindsight, that the MBTA Transit Police would have been as well.

Bitch and moan time:

Keolis and the Commuter Rail is amazing at turning away passengers

This was an MBTA decision and nothing to do with Keolis. Complain to the T.

Thank you very much for the advocacy.

Re: boarding with the bike anyways - after she showed me the transit police memo, I realized that the law wasn't on my side and didn't want to end up with legal ramifications, as bullshit as that was. It was something I considered, though.

I wasn't willing to back up the "you'll need the transit police to force me off the train" statement I would have had to make. All around, an extremely frustrating and downright wrong position for the MBTA to have to put me in.

Like I said, easy to argue from the comfort of one's desk.

It would have been an intriguing face-off though, whether the conductor would have followed through with delaying the train to wait for the police. If she did, I'd imagine you'd be charged with trespassing if you did not detrain, but whether an internal memo that was poorly advertised to the public constitutes grounds for trespassing (it's certainly not "the law") is something you would have had to fight after the fact.

Back