Goodwin Procter HQ @ Fan Pier | 90 - 110 Northern Ave - Parcel I | Seaport

I like this building way more when it's gloomy out. The weird gray bars on its face blend together more:

23720710469_ac7e792617_c.jpg

I like this building way more when it's gloomy out. The weird gray bars on its face blend together more:

Is there a name for that type of facade decoration?

Regarding the actual cladding here, I'm nonplussed either way. It's pretty interesting that it adds a bit of dynamism to the the facade though.

For Parcel H next door to this, I understand they are finishing the basement/underground structure but not planning on building the above ground structure immediately. It is supposed to be residential of some kind. Assumption is that Fan Pier builds one residential building at a time so they can see what the market is dictating at that point.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Boston is in the midst of a housing shortage and that the residential buildings in the Seaport (the condo on Fan Pier sold out before it was close to being finished) seem to do quite well as they come on line. Something else has to be at play here with this site.

Site is small but they must be considering a hotel there or at the other yet-to-be-developed parcel. With GE, BCEC and all the businesses moving there a hotel could definitely work. Would prefer residential here and a condo/hotel at the other site, though not sure if latter is large enough.

Goodwin required the site to be completed below ground, capped and landscaped before it moves into the building in June. It didn't want underground construction going on once it occupied its new building.

I heard that the road wont be re-aligned for a number of years (5?). It is supposedly one of the last things to be done in the Fan Pier redevelopment.

Is there a name for that type of facade decoration?

I would call them (in-archispeak) articulated spandrel panels. Stylistically I think you would have to call this post-modernesque. Spandrels seem to be put there to announce the entry SIDE of the building, and the rippled spandrels seem to ripple due to the location of the ENTRY. Its all a bit forced in my opinion which is too bad because the rest of the mass is pretty elegant.

cca

I like how, midday, the sun gleams so much you have to squint and not actually see the building.

I like it but...

It's like a giant computing cube from a B scifi movie. Godzilla should have a statue next door.

When are they going to re-align the road? They move in by June, so it must need to start soon?

Back