Gov't Center Station Rebuild

Ok. Sorry for suggesting the T should be promoting its newly reopened station and trying to rebalance the loading on the downtown core. Christ. Who says they need to make a sign removal program?? No one is going to complain about staff peeling stickers, nor should anyone really even see them doing so. They could have done it overnight or at the start of the shift today or simply during downtime.

Nor am I trying to "muddy" the grand opening of Government Center. I attended the ribbon cutting yesterday and celebrated the station's success. I'm trying to get more people to use it and not suffer via bizarre BL>OL>GL transfers like they've done for 2 years.

I use the Blue Line via State daily.

Ok. Sorry for suggesting the T should be promoting its newly reopened station and trying to rebalance the loading on the downtown core. Christ. Who says they need to make a sign removal program?? No one is going to complain about staff peeling stickers, nor should anyone really even see them doing so. They could have done it overnight or at the start of the shift today or simply during downtime.

Nor am I trying to "muddy" the grand opening of Government Center. I attended the ribbon cutting yesterday and celebrated the station's success. I'm trying to get more people to use it and not suffer via bizarre BL>OL>GL transfers like they've done for 2 years.

I use the Blue Line via State daily.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

But "trying to rebalance the loading" isn't going to be done most effectively via critical posts on this site...truly helping would be standing at Park St. telling riders that GC is back open. If someone is "with it" enough to know about Arch Boston, I'm sure they already know of GC's reopening.

No one is going to complain about staff peeling stickers? Hi, you must be new to the daily monsoon of criticism the T & their staff receive over the most insignificant things...read Twitter posts for a few months and you'll better see the obvious.

As far as when it could be done, unless you're T Management (in which case you wouldn't be on here posting), there's no way to magically know who has what "downtime" occurrences popping up, or what the priorities are during one's shift. That's your own determination that there is downtime to commit to sticker-peeling/sign removal, or that it's sensible to start a shift doing so. What are you basing your suggestions on? Your knowledge of the T staff's priorities/daily expectations? You, as I, are just outsiders looking in...and therefore, have no right to dictate what someone else should do at their job & when they should do it.

I attended yesterday's opening as well, but that has no significance to these posts. You're essentially saying you've made yourself a 'GC Ambassador' by trying to promote their reopening (though I still don't see how that's effectively being done by your prior posts stating promotional suggestions on here)...I think the local media & riders' word-of-mouth will take care of that.

This is the most asenine thing I've ever read. Having the system maps and wayfinding sinage accurate is part of fixing the T. Leaving up a sign that says something is closed when it isn't is basically defered maintenance.

As for the announcements... they've been announcing government center being closed at Park St and State for two years. Modifying that to say it's open again for a few weeks isn't something new, it's a modification of an existing practice.

I usually only see this level of overdefensive OCD backwards logic (that typically turns out to be proven wrong) on RR.net

This is the most asenine thing I've ever read. Having the system maps and wayfinding sinage accurate is part of fixing the T. Leaving up a sign that says something is closed when it isn't is basically defered maintenance.

As for the announcements... they've been announcing government center being closed at Park St and State for two years. Modifying that to say it's open again for a few weeks isn't something new, it's a modification of an existing practice.

I usually only see this level of overdefensive OCD backwards logic (that typically turns out to be proven wrong) on RR.net

Yup. Asking T employees in each Green Line station with the signs to spend 30 seconds taking each one down is not really a big ask. If it is, covering them with another sign that says "Government Center is now open!" requires the immensely taxing activity of taping a piece of paper over another piece of paper.

Wayfinding is part of the T's job. I can see taking a week to update the maps, since there are thousands. Taking down the signs is a half-hour job per station, max.

djimpact--not sure how datadyne has been anything other than appropriately upbeat, informative and helpful (have you ever bothered to report something to MBTA so they could address it?). :confused:

O
You could, but 1) do you really have that much free time to do the T's work for free, and 2) are you willing to potentially be seen on camera & be confronted by TPD, who will say you're defacing their property?

1) I don't have enough free time to go hunt them down for all of them. Technically, if I am motivated enough, I can make the time - most can make the time if one is willing to swallow the cost (so for me a waste of a good Saturday). But I am willing to personally take the time to take out a sign. If it one of those stick to the wall, then peel a little off at a time.

2) I'm not that afraid of MBTA police confronting me about an out of date sign. Maybe I'm just hard headed, but yeah. I'm one of those confrontational type if something bothers me enough. I'm mostly tactful enough to not be stupid like immediately get on their face and get myself tased then arrested or something if confronted. But not so afraid that I'll avoid taking down an out of date sign in fear of their wrath. I'm willing to bet on that they won't care (unless it some really big banner and putting extremely amount of visible and public effort).

Also, I don't think I am in the same category as you posed of bashing the MBTA 24 hours as something good done. I mean you have a point that it is making a overly big deal that they didn't take down the sign within 24 hours. Just that my suggestion is - well - sometimes the easiest and fast way to see something down is just do it yourself.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

But "trying to rebalance the loading" isn't going to be done most effectively via critical posts on this site...truly helping would be standing at Park St. telling riders that GC is back open. If someone is "with it" enough to know about Arch Boston, I'm sure they already know of GC's reopening.

No one is going to complain about staff peeling stickers? Hi, you must be new to the daily monsoon of criticism the T & their staff receive over the most insignificant things...read Twitter posts for a few months and you'll better see the obvious.

As far as when it could be done, unless you're T Management (in which case you wouldn't be on here posting), there's no way to magically know who has what "downtime" occurrences popping up, or what the priorities are during one's shift. That's your own determination that there is downtime to commit to sticker-peeling/sign removal, or that it's sensible to start a shift doing so. What are you basing your suggestions on? Your knowledge of the T staff's priorities/daily expectations? You, as I, are just outsiders looking in...and therefore, have no right to dictate what someone else should do at their job & when they should do it.

I attended yesterday's opening as well, but that has no significance to these posts. You're essentially saying you've made yourself a 'GC Ambassador' by trying to promote their reopening (though I still don't see how that's effectively being done by your prior posts stating promotional suggestions on here)...I think the local media & riders' word-of-mouth will take care of that.

Let it go. You lost.

There are tons of post in this site that you could have decided to fight, and you chose one that it is very insightful and makes tons of sense. Weird.

I agree leaving those up can be considered "deferred maintenance" over time...leaving those up only a day after re-opening hardly qualifies. When a couple of weeks pass, then I'll be right on board with you.

When motorpersons have stopped announcing a closure, that should also be taken as a "modification" of the prior practice of making one. It's not there anymore...that's the change, when not hearing it after 2 years.

I too, usually only see this level of "play MBTA Management" on social media, which typically leads to a group defensiveness backlash. I'll keep with my OCD backwards logic, and others can keep playing "I know what should be done, when it should be done at (not my job) MBTA".

Yup. Asking T employees in each Green Line station with the signs to spend 30 seconds taking each one down is not really a big ask. If it is, covering them with another sign that says "Government Center is now open!" requires the immensely taxing activity of taping a piece of paper over another piece of paper.

Wayfinding is part of the T's job. I can see taking a week to update the maps, since there are thousands. Taking down the signs is a half-hour job per station, max.

I understand your opinion. Can you tell me how many you've asked (& have followed suit)? Also, can you provide me the source of your metrics concerning the 30 minute max per station time to take signage down...but also in relation to staff availability/assignment? As far as the paper-taping option, I can be down for that.

djimpact--not sure how datadyne has been anything other than appropriately upbeat, informative and helpful (have you ever bothered to report something to MBTA so they could address it?). :confused:
I never said he wasn't upbeat. I like that there's ideas flowing...I don't see how it's helpful though when ideas are conveyed in a way as to dictate how & when they should be carried out, especially when we're not privy to the pecking order of the hows & whens of the MBTA.

Concerning reporting, yes, I've reported piggyback fare evasions, observed car operational failures & rider harassment. That doesn't mean I told them what they should be doing and how they should be doing it...I was telling them what already happened. It's up to them how to handle it, not me.

1) I don't have enough free time to go hunt them down for all of them. Technically, if I am motivated enough, I can make the time - most can make the time if one is willing to swallow the cost (so for me a waste of a good Saturday). But I am willing to personally take the time to take out a sign. If it one of those stick to the wall, then peel a little off at a time.

2) I'm not that afraid of MBTA police confronting me about an out of date sign. Maybe I'm just hard headed, but yeah. I'm one of those confrontational type if something bothers me enough. I'm mostly tactful enough to not be stupid like immediately get on their face and get myself tased then arrested or something if confronted. But not so afraid that I'll avoid taking down an out of date sign in fear of their wrath. I'm willing to bet on that they won't care (unless it some really big banner and putting extremely amount of visible and public effort).
I must commend your willingness to work for the T for free. I enjoy the service & its culture, but my time is worth more than doing someone's job for them (which some actually do not appreciate), so I can't relate. Same with sign removal...if you don't care about TPD or their interaction, then I wish you luck!

Let it go. You lost.

There are tons of post in this site that you could have decided to fight, and you chose one that it is very insightful and makes tons of sense. Weird.
I'm amused when folks online say "you lost", like there's some imaginary game being played. There's no "loss" in stating opinions, no matter how much you disagree with them (whether me to others, or others to mine). There are those who "lose" though...just not that way. As far as "deciding to fight", that's far from any intent to post. But I guess because my opinions are not in the majority of those in fantasy management, I should be perceived as looking to "pick a fight", right?

So I just rode around a bit to check out rush hour loading (and new GL announcements). It looks like the loading on the Blue Line for Government Center & State is returning to normal. State was not at crush capacity and there were decent crowds at GC waiting for Blue. Good crowds at GC for Green too.

Also, walking by GC on my way into the station, I passed someone that exclaimed to her friend "oh, is that open yet?" Amazes me how people don't know despite the traditional media & social media blitz.

I must commend your willingness to work for the T for free. I enjoy the service & its culture, but my time is worth more than doing someone's job for them (which some actually do not appreciate), so I can't relate. Same with sign removal...if you don't care about TPD or their interaction, then I wish you luck!

Did you skipped my entire 3rd paragraph? Funny that your first paragraph of your post noted the thought. There's is a genuine point in in the argument that it's only been a day. But you still ripped in with sarcasm and vitriol.

Perhaps you missed some nuances of my point. As one pointed out, many can be removed in less than 30 seconds. A paper sign or a white sticker. Why not just take it off rather than make a big deal of working for free. Insinuating yourself that time is so valuable while you wait for the train. And somehow the MBTA police is going to sick on me if I see me pull off some paper sign or white tape.

I should be perceived as looking to "pick a fight", right?

You are "perceived" that you are picking a fight because maybe you are? You could have just said "It's been less than 24 hours guys, give them some time". Even a more hostilely one like stop hyperventilating would get some agreement. But you choose to attack post by post attacking each poster with implicit tone of condescension and brushing dramatics.

You could have just said "It's been less than 24 hours guys, give them some time.
I think this sums it up nicely, going back to my main point of others bringing up the dreaded detour signage still being there, and 'why hasn't it been removed yet', barely 24 hours afterwards. I shouldn't HAVE to say it...that kind of minimal patience should be expected.

I was there yesterday.

Very clean & bright! The floor looks very nice. Even though I HAD dislike the light colors, the appearance of white and light gray looks rather stylish and nice.

I like the idea of the 2 elevators serving the Blue Line platform. And the brand new escalator which replaces that old dilapidate one that just kept on breaking down. Went upstairs to the headhouse, but I didn't go outside I was surprised to see work still being done on the surrounding area.

I love the new route maps upstairs. Also the announcements of arriving trolleys as well as those 2 to 3 stops away. Looks very new and modern!

Now if they could just redo the 3 remaining stops on the Green Line to make them ADA accessible; Boylston, Symphony, & Hynes. Then the whole system would have ADA access. :cool:

Last edited:
Can everyone just collectively agree to ignore this person so this doesn't continue for the next week?

I was there yesterday.

Very clean & bright! The floor looks very nice. Even though I HAD dislike the light colors, the appearance of white and light great looks rather stylish and nice.

I like the idea of the 2 elevators serving the Blue Line platform. And the brand new escalator which replaces that old dilapidate one that just kept on breaking down. Went upstairs to the headhouse, but I didn't go outside I was surprised to see work still being done on the surrounding area.

I love the new route maps upstairs. Also the announcements of arriving trolleys as well as those 2 to 3 stops away. Looks very new and modern!

Now if they could just redo the 3 remaining stops on the Green Line to make them ADA accessible; Boylston, Symphony, & Hynes. Then the whole system would have ADA access. :cool:

Accessibility for Hynes was written into the Peebles award for Parcel 13. Construction proposed to start in 2020, IIRC.

Accessibility for Hynes was written into the Peebles award for Parcel 13. Construction proposed to start in 2020, IIRC.

Wow, was it that far ahead? Damn.

Yesterday, mid-day. Presented without comment:

(That's water dripping from the ceiling onto the blue line platform at Government Center, if the picture is not self-explanatory)

26231491665_3e809b8b17_c.jpg

http://gothamist.com/2016/03/15/hudson_yards_fail.php

Just to make clear, this problem of shoddy workmanship (or whatever is causing this leak at this brand new station) is not unique to Boston. We were just at the Hudson Yards Station a few weeks ago and water dripped on our heads as we went down the escalator. I was like, are you kidding me. So disappointing that shoddy workmanship/contractors cutting corners seems to have become the norm in government projects.

The sloppiness and crappy work of the Big Dig relived.

All that dough that was used in getting a facelift done for this station, & THIS is the end result of it? You gotta be kidding me!

Last edited:
The contractors are literally still on site. Even assuming this isn't related to the remaining active construction, it should hopefully be fixed before the project wraps up.

Back