GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

Let's not get carried away.

For the record, I wasn't too offended/disgusted myself or anything. Also, I'm a NU graduate (09), not a student.

Plus, I was very involved in residence life while I was a student, and did work with, among other things, laundry on campus. Mundane details like laundry (and yes, vending machines) are incredibly important to the students, and I will always view campus projects (for any school) from the point of view of student utility, convenience, and the enhancement of their lives.

I'm not too concerned about the generic-ness of the floor plan, nor do I think that the exterior deserves particular attention due to its height, since there will almost certainly be similarly-sized buildings on that part of campus within the near future (unless the university falls on hard times, which I think it will if they continue to drive away from the co-op model). There was a plan to build a residence hall on the location of Culinane hall (right behind this project), though that got sidetracked.

Would have been a cool building though, and I hope it still gets started at some point:
story_building_k.jpg

http://www.northeastern.edu/voice/evoice/080918/residence_hall.html

Further, I do remember hearing a fair amount of conversation on replacing Gainsborough garage, which is an obviously prime spot for new construction.

Beyond those two, there was talk some time ago about purchasing air rights over the orange line between Mass Ave and Ruggles and covering it over with both green space and additional buildings (though I doubt I'll ever see that). Plus, the science quad buildings are *really* showing their age. Either they'll get the same treatment that the Law School got (complete gut renovation) or they'll be replaced/expanded upon. Plus, there's the property the university bought a few years back on St. Botolph, the other side of Mass Ave, that they can't do anything with till about 2020 (and the tenants still whined about the university buying it).

Anyway, that section of campus is pretty much where the university is going to focus most of their construction over the next decade or so, I believe. So concerns about this one building dominating the skyline should be short lived.

But then, who knows what will actually end up happening?

Snack machines in the first floor, maybe the second floor lounge, basement near the laundry, and top floor lounge as well? Can anyone brief me on the typical snack machine density at NEU?

Generally 2-4 per residence hall or academic hall (and, subsequently, twice that number for mixed use buildings, such as West Village G and H). ;)

I also heard that the parking lot on the side of Matthews Arena will be built up as a residence hall. The parking strip in front of the arena will be built on as an addition to house more fitness facilities, including a climbing wall.

I also heard that the parking lot on the side of Matthews Arena will be built up as a residence hall. The parking strip in front of the arena will be built on as an addition to house more fitness facilities, including a climbing wall.

I could definitely see that happening. Particularly if it included some parking on ground or below ground level, similar to West Village E.

I went to the NU Task force meeting again for this project earlier tonight... it was almost the same presentation as last week, except a bigger turnout and some community opposition to NU because they don't think the school does enough for the community. I invited one of my classmates to join me, and he said the meeting was almost as exciting as watching Avatar. (haha) A lot of emotions ran wild across the room.

Am I the only one who expects nothing from my neighbors?

I went to the NU Task force meeting again for this project earlier tonight... it was almost the same presentation as last week, except a bigger turnout and some community opposition to NU because they don't think the school does enough for the community. I invited one of my classmates to join me, and he said the meeting was almost as exciting as watching Avatar. (haha) A lot of emotions ran wild across the room.

I would have been more surprised if there was no opposition. The alternative is to let the YMCA go bankrupt and shut down, leaving a vacant hulk of a building. Maybe the Elma Lewis crowd could redevelop it, given the "success" they have had on the other side of Tremont Street.

The alternate is to allow NEU to flood the nearby area with off-campus students. If they don't want that then let them build, not both.

Part of me wants Northeastern to just put their foot down and stop all of their programs and facility access for the community until they come begging for it back and maybe appreciate what the university does for them for once.

They are opposing a project that the University is doing in part because the community has demanded it... because the University doesn't do enough for them? Please... that's disgusting.

The alternate is to allow NEU to flood the nearby area with off-campus students. If they don't want that then let them build, not both.

Part of me wants Northeastern to just put their foot down and stop all of their programs and facility access for the community until they come begging for it back and maybe appreciate what the university does for them for once.

They are opposing a project that the University is doing in part because the community has demanded it... because the University doesn't do enough for them? Please... that's disgusting.

How entertaining would it be to see the university, for one year, suspend all their community programs and facility access (to the extent they can), and simultaneously, close all the upper class halls?

At this point if the deal falls apart and the YMCA is sold to a politically connected, and totally insensitive developer like Druker, I will laugh.

It boggles my mind that not a single article mentions that the Y was going to liquidate that branch a few years ago to build the new facility on the Greenway. The membership doesn't seem to understand that without a cash influx the location is going to be closed whether they like it or not.

Northeastern has been a part of that community since 1898, long before the parents of these NIMBY's were born. Also, any community contribution that Northeastern makes to Dorchester, Mattapan, South Boston etc. is ignored because it doesn't benefit the immediate neighbors.

The YMCA has been part of that neighborhood for even longer, so its members have some right to object to a plan that would eliminate facilities that they use daily. I hope some solution is found for this, keeping the Y viable while allowing Northeastern to build.

What about a temporary facility, at least for the track or basket ball courts, on the parking lot next to the arena. A bubble can't be that expensive.

Oh, so they are tearing down the gymnasium with the indoor track? That was the coolest part of it. I wasn't sure exactly where in the building that was.

I absolutely agree with the dorm project. I would just note, however, that the area is already saturated with NEU students. This is a fairly empty threat.

But if Northeastern builds more dorms while holding enrolment constant then there will be fewer students living off campus. That is the whole point of these projects.

There is talk that Northeastern will cut the size of the entering class in 2012 due to increased retention. Total enrolment will remain the same.

But if Northeastern builds more dorms while holding enrolment constant then there will be fewer students living off campus. That is the whole point of these projects.

There is talk that Northeastern will cut the size of the entering class in 2012 due to increased retention. Total enrolment will remain the same.

I get that. My point was that it's hard to tell the Fenway NIMBYs that "if we don't do this project, you'll be innundated with student housing" when the community is already innundated with student housing. Basically, (as you suggest) NEU is holding out the future promise that things will get better. That's different from threatening that things will get worse, because things can't get much worse (in terms of student housing).

What I meant the threat is that NEU students will continue to live off-campus, something the residents don't want, if NEU is not allowed to build dorms.

Back