Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line Extension to Mystic Valley Parkway vs Needham and West Roxbury

The better move would be replacing the entire Needham Line with Orange and Green, and probably leaving out Hershey altogether.

I'd certainly be happy to see all of that built more or less as one large project (although the ideal way to phase construction would probably be to convert the Needham part first, then the Orange Line part if you're trying to minimize the time stations lose rail service; and the Green Line bridge across the Charles can be built before the active segments are touched, and the vertical catenary poles can probably also be installed while the commuter rail is still running), but if we're talking about the best thing to do with the dollars currently earmarked for the Mystic Valley Parkway Green Line extension, those dollars probably aren't going to pay for all of Green to Needham plus Orange to West Roxbury.

Then with Needham there's also the question of whether more riders and branches west of Copley is going to strain the system, in a way that a one stop extension on what will become an existing branch of the underutilized Lechmere side of the system won't be a similar strain.

We also need more Orange Line rolling stock before we can do this (and maybe more Green Line trains too), but the Orange Line trains should get delivered long before anyone is likely to get the environmental study of the Orange Line extension done.

I could have sworn we had a dedicated Green Line vehicles thread. Oh well...

https://d3044s2alrsxog.cloudfront.n...ber/2017-12-18-fmcb-iffp-part5-light-rail.pdf

IFFP presentation for Light Rail (GL and MHSL). Mostly no news, since they're punting the big decisions to the ongoing visioning studies for both lines. Type 9 deliveries in 2018 - Type 10 discussion begins once the vision study is done and the Type 9s have been running for a while. The one note on Type 10 is that they want capacity to increase over the current fleet, and it's implied that the Type 10 fleet would replace both Type 7 and Type 8.

Mattapan PCCs are being overhauled to last past 2020. All the rest of the news is left to the line-specific study in January.

Of note, the first GLX “community working group” is today at 10:30am. Hopefully the agenda is posted online because that’s the least convenient time possible.

A little bit of self-promotion: my masters thesis (done with the MIT Transit Lab under contract to the MBTA) included an analysis of Type 10 options and the infrastructure changes needed to support them.

A little bit of self-promotion: my masters thesis (done with the MIT Transit Lab under contract to the MBTA) included an analysis of Type 10 options and the infrastructure changes needed to support them.

Nice work, although unless I am missing something or misinterpreting what you wrote, the Siemens S70 is not a 100% low-floor car:

http://www.modernstreetcar.org/pdf/Siemens S70 Streetcar rev 3-29-11 photo.pdf

(Note steps in the interior leading up to the section above the motor trucks):
http://www.modernstreetcar.org/images/S70_streetcar_10_sm.jpg

Of course, the announced merger of Siemens and Alstom since you wrote your thesis will probably result in one of their two "standard product" lines being merged or dropped by the time the Type 10 is ordered, so it might not be an option by then anyway. And I would also guess there is a good chance Bombardier will be merged into another builder by the time the Type 10 is ordered.
And despite not having any standard light rail product line at the moment, I'm sure CRRC will bid on any future MBTA order for any type of rail vehicle.

^ From 2016. What value can/should we draw from it today? (20 months hence)

MBTA_25starts_01_met.jpg

The squarish front end of the lead car looks more suited to 1918 than 2018.

Boston can look a bit modern, for crying out loud; we have the Zakim Bridge, the Millennium Tower, etc.

Last edited:
MBTA_25starts_01_met.jpg

The squarish front end of the lead car looks more suited to 1918 than 2018.

Boston can look a bit modern, for crying out loud; we have the Zakim Bridge, the Millennium Tower, etc.

Also, note the doors. They slide open & close like the ones that were featured on the Type 6 LRV's. :cool:

Well, it is what we get for allowing people to vote on the paint scheme online (although I am happy with the orange/red winning schemes). Are they also really not fully low floor?

I think the flat front is partially a result of tunnel clearance issues with some of the tightest curves and is used to keep the train shorter allowing more space for passengers.

I'm quite taken with the shape, and I'd guess that the green line doesn't get up to speeds where aerodynamics matter too much.

Back