Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

The type 9s are essentially just supposed to be more reliable newer type 8s. The type 10s I believe are going to be fully low floor and will be a full fleet replacement. I think the T has started putting together an RFP or they already have one.

The type 9s are essentially just supposed to be more reliable newer type 8s. The type 10s I believe are going to be fully low floor and will be a full fleet replacement. I think the T has started putting together an RFP or they already have one.

An RFP won't be put together for another few years. The T has only just entered the pre-procurement stage for the project (in other words, putting the project into existence). They are currently looking for a program manager to oversee the design phase of the vehicles, which includes developing specifications. A project of this scale takes about 10 years or more from start to finish.

Thanks for the information I knew the process had started but I wasn't sure what point they were at.

Why are the windows so small?

Which windows do you feel are small?

The low floor middle section has nice tall windows. The end sections with raised floors and seating have windows above the seating. What is small?

Which windows do you feel are small?

The low floor middle section has nice tall windows. The end sections with raised floors and seating have windows above the seating. What is small?

Specifically the doors and front right window.

And I dont know about "nice tall". I was just in Paris and theyre all practically floor to ceiling windows these days

New renders of Gilman Square (adding the canopies & elevators back in):

MOST RECENT RENDERS (LAST WEEK)

29871802_10155217760446681_1467520143568481397_o.jpg

29665531_10155217760431681_6004774769384879565_o.jpg

29749874_10155217760426681_785988499085460620_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like two options a connection to school street or just the station along the community path. Connecting to school street seems like an entrance on school street would provide better access to the station for people towards its north/northwest (including the square for which its named).

Sorry, I have edited out the old renders. The 3 are the most recent from last week's meeting.

They have added the elevators & canopies back in that were VE'd out in the previous go around since GLX Constructors' estimate came in under budget.

Why is there like a 5 foot gap between the station roof and the staircase roof?

Shits and giggles?

Oh wow this one actually changed a lot. Back in 2010 when I was working on the project, the main entrance was off Medford St (and connecting to the path) with a little pick up/drop off area and some parking. The warehouse building was to be acquired and demolished. There was talk about the School St entrance becoming a second entry point (it was just an emergency staircase initially), but they didn't want to make it accessible because of the cost.

Wonder if eventually they are going to put the fair gates back in. Seems like the station costs weren't the big driver of cost after all.

Wonder if eventually they are going to put the fair gates back in. Seems like the station costs weren't the big driver of cost after all.

Yeah, adding faregates to this design should cost next to nothing. And even with AFC 2.0, faregates will likely still lead to faster boarding and better fare compliance.

The winning Green Line Extension proposal from GLX Constructors is now up on the GLX website. The two losing bid are too.

Elevators at nearly every station, the full Community Path, and a full flyover junction between the branches. Not bad. The Community Path still changes sides between Lowell and Central (or wherever that was), but crosses the Fitchburg Line on a prefab bridge, pretty much the same as the Friends of the Community Path proposal.

The most interesting thing is how they're widening the School Street and Medford Street bridges; instead of replacing the span, they're going to tear out one abutment and put in a second span.

And wow, the Walsh-Barletta-Granite proposal sure is ugly, all the stations look like prison camps. Glad that one lost.

Was there really not a way to move the Union Square elevator slightly to the side so as not to completely block a Porter extension? Can we future proof just a little?

Probably because no one at the MBTA seriously thinks a Porter extension is a good idea. Even I'm not convinced and all I do is come up with crazy ideas for subway extensions.

Concur. Porter already has a T station, and there's no way you're adding a Green Line station there without ridiculous expense: you have to either take a whole lot of commercial properties or tunnel from before the Park Ave crossing. If they actually did it, moving one elevator will be a trivial added expense.

Back