Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

ceo+Javier brought us from College all the way to Gilman, so I thought I'd add the Union branch.

Union Square Station:
1586140861614.png

Looking West Towards the Union Stop from O'Brien Highway
1586144109531.png

Looking East towards Lechmere from O'Brien Highway
1586143778464.png

Last edited:
And on the College/Rt16 Branch...

Looking North towards Rt28/McGrath bridge. On the right - is that the first sign of a structural support for the community path? Haven't seen anything else about the final layout.
1586145337879.png

Heading south, still waiting on the GLX half of the Washington St Bridge spans.
1586145642842.png

Not to beat the dead horse, but its amazing to see this come to life. Shouldn't be so refreshing, but hopefully we have more transit expansion in the coming years.
My hope is that the now successful looking implementation will appear both reasonably priced and non-disruptive, so that people come to a new understanding about feasibility of transit projects. If that can happen, maybe we'll break through the log jam and get some other crucial expansion projects moving.

My hope is that the now successful looking implementation will appear both reasonably priced and non-disruptive, so that people come to a new understanding about feasibility of transit projects. If that can happen, maybe we'll break through the log jam and get some other crucial expansion projects moving.
Problem is our next few critical expansion projects will be a bit more disruptive than this one, no?

Looking North towards Rt28/McGrath bridge. On the right - is that the first sign of a structural support for the community path? Haven't seen anything else about the final layout.
The Community Path is going to be on the other side.

Red-Blue will be cut-cover, which will be disruptive to Cambridge Street, but potentially not as bad as people might fear. BLX-Lynn wouldn't be disruptive at all.

Of the major projects under consideration (RBX, BLX-Lynn, GLX-Hyde Square, GLT platforms, OLX-Rozzie, Blue Hill Ave BRT, CR electrification, NSRL), only maybe NSRL would equal the disruption of the GLX with its long-term street closures. If Somerville can deal with GLX, any of those projects are doable.

On the right - is that the first sign of a structural support for the community path? Haven't seen anything else about the final layout.
The Community Path is going to be on the other side.

Correct. The retaining wall on the right is just pushed in toward the tracks because there is an existing retaining wall behind it that is deteriorating but too close to homes to replace in kind.

Of the major projects under consideration (RBX, BLX-Lynn, GLX-Hyde Square, GLT platforms, OLX-Rozzie, Blue Hill Ave BRT, CR electrification, NSRL), only maybe NSRL would equal the disruption of the GLX with its long-term street closures. If Somerville can deal with GLX, any of those projects are doable.

Yeah...the only thing with Red-Blue that's anywhere half-complicated is hashing out with the pain-in-ass BTD fiefdom what the parking bans are going to be by block so Cambridge St. can retain one full travel lane + emergency vehicle shoulder through the dig zones. 40 ft.-wide cut & cover tunneling on an 80 ft. curb-to-curb street with no more than 2 blocks' closures at a time is relative piece of cake for construction staging.

NSRL probably isn't going to be visible on the surface at all except for headhouse shafting because the portals and all shallow-depth digging are underneath all-existing RR terminal district property with all passage under the street grid being at maximum depth. CA/T alignment wouldn't close a single I-93 lane, either, because of the way the scooped-out lower level is entirely sealed off from the highway level.

Correct. The retaining wall on the right is just pushed in toward the tracks because there is an existing retaining wall behind it that is deteriorating but too close to homes to replace in kind.
I actually think the work to the left in that photo may be to do with the path as it rises to meet Chester ave. there.

I actually think the work to the left in that photo may be to do with the path as it rises to meet Chester ave. there.

Correct. The path will be at track level in this area - but will also have a ramp that goes up to Chester Ave.

I swear I recently saw somewhere that they’re going to move the utilities back to the main bridge, after all.

I swear I recently saw somewhere that they’re going to move the utilities back to the main bridge, after all.
I thought that was always the plan at all bridges (but maybe I wasn't paying attention)

Whom can we encourage to make sure that the GLX to Rt16/MVP/UHaul is shovel ready for Stimulus 2021?

Back