Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Define nice? Is that you, Baron Haussmann?
Ha!
Didn't he basically say, "Here's what you can build, Pierre! Just pick one of these four facades I like and get out of my office!"

Almost accurate. I just want to limit mono-block building. Slice it up and spice it up. Give smaller buyers a chance instead of always waiting to see what an international REIT will poop out.

You will need traffic lights for the crosswalks because a lot of people will be crossing O'Brien highway to/from the GLX station. That is a problem on roundabouts and rotaries, because the auto traffic will back up into the rotary when a crosswalk light is red. Also, bicyclists will have a heck of a time getting through the rotary. On a high traffic road in a high pedestrian use area, I don't think roundabouts or rotaries work well for pedestrians and bicyclists.

Are they planning to develop all empty lots to the north? Right now it's sad that the encatchment is half wasteland - and the useful half requires you to cross a 8-lane highway on foot. Kind of like the Red line stop in charles circle.. was there really no better way to design it so that not every single rider has to cross 3 lanes of traffic just to leave the station?

Maybe a pedestrian bridge over the highway or a underpass?

Something along the lines of a Singapore / Taiwan style night market? Yes please!

I don't think we're looking at enough space for a whole night market, but some stalls like those markets have would work well I think!

Are they planning to develop all empty lots to the north? Right now it's sad that the encatchment is half wasteland - and the useful half requires you to cross a 8-lane highway on foot. Kind of like the Red line stop in charles circle.. was there really no better way to design it so that not every single rider has to cross 3 lanes of traffic just to leave the station?

Maybe a pedestrian bridge over the highway or a underpass?
Regarding Charles-MGH in particular, two of the three alternatives in the 2021 R-B Concept Design Report proposed building new exits north and south of the Cambridge/Charles circle to replace the headhouse exit. The headhouse would then be made entirely paid area, acting as connection between the Red Line platforms and the underground concourse level. Both exits will lead to the concourse.
Of course, that's not feasible for Lechmere. If this was somewhere with better design capabilities and funding, we would have seen an overhead bridge across the highway...

Does somebody have the title on the yard yet? Did it get RFP'd?
CROSSWALKS! I forgot crosswalks. Yes. God bless the Bostonian jaywalker. It's indeed a walking city. I think this would absolutely be safer than what we have now.
(Fixed it)
View attachment 19870
Looks good, but as long as you are in an editing mode, you should consider fixing the bike lanes so that they don't exclusively feed in to the very next spoke, without providing a safe way to remain in the rotary.

Regarding Charles-MGH in particular, two of the three alternatives in the 2021 R-B Concept Design Report proposed building new exits north and south of the Cambridge/Charles circle to replace the headhouse exit. The headhouse would then be made entirely paid area, acting as connection between the Red Line platforms and the underground concourse level. Both exits will lead to the concourse.
Of course, that's not feasible for Lechmere. If this was somewhere with better design capabilities and funding, we would have seen an overhead bridge across the highway...
Honestly, I wish Lechmere would end up being more like Charles MGH. Charles is on a rotary. Cars have to slow or occasionally stop. The steel bollard-lined narrow 3-lane passage where you cross from the T to MGH is designed urban density. Hard curbs with notional shoulders that say to drivers approaching the intersection, "Hey, idiot! You're in a city. This is not 93 yet! Slow the hell down!" With the same thing on the other side in front of CVS (2 sets of 2 lanes divided by brick and hard curbing) on a bend, drivers are given the language to cover the brake instead of fluttering the accelerator. In my opinion there's no overpass needed. The main problem with Charles Circle is that the West End doesn't allow through traffic from the Science Park/Martha Road side. Crappy 60s car-centric "park" housing crap which makes Cambridge Street eat all the West End traffic - and ALL West Enders drive. It's am enclave, not a neighborhood. I digress.

Powderhouse Square is not a good 'end' example to compare to what Lechmere could be. Powderhouse is a 6 street clusterfuck of access with minimal slowing measures on approach (speed encouraged), virtually no traffic calming curves either. And that park in the middle? It's like Doherty's has sponsored Frankenstein (<please watch) to drum up business. My smaller Lechmere rotary would not have any people friendly amenities in the middle. It would be a fenced-off statuary or a fountain maybe surrounded by flower bedding. Calm. Thoughtful. Not this.

I think the entire corridor around the McGrath Highway needs to atone for the sins of its creators. The need for that much infrastructure is gone. We could eliminate 25-50% of the width to add park and TOD housing parcels. What was built should not have been, and should not continue to be. We need to stop putting the needs of lead-foot suburban commuters ahead of people who can and will live there if we let them. Lechmere is in a city. It should act like it.

Overall, design should be denser, slower, calmer, smarter. I'd suggest this thinking should inform every 'Square' conversation along the GLX.

Looks good, but as long as you are in an editing mode, you should consider fixing the bike lanes so that they don't exclusively feed in to the very next spoke, without providing a safe way to remain in the rotary.
Right you are. As a biker I should have been more thoughtful. If I was proposing it to people with deep pockets or an interest in making it happen, I might return to the easel. As it stands, the bikers in my pretend little world will suffer a horrible fate under the crushing wheels of car-centric design. Poor fictitious bastards.

With the same thing on the other side in front of CVS (2 sets of 2 lanes divided by brick and hard curbing) on a bend, drivers are given the language to cover the brake instead of fluttering the accelerator.

As someone who's lived in that area both before and after the overpasses were removed, the new configuration is a massive improvement, but the actual implementation still needs some work. Each side of the brick curbing has independent walk signals and stop lights, i.e. the stop light shows a green light on one side and red on the other. Vehicles coming from Longfellow and Storrow tend to go to either side of the bricks, and it leads to a LOT of red-light running and pedestrian near misses.

If they could sort that out, it would make that arrangement so much better.

CCF55126-9BBC-45BF-8299-09EE0DD1E74C.jpeg
CB2931BE-DA52-4DFE-9F77-CFD82EB642FE.jpeg
BAE39254-87FD-4B44-B670-B70E52F5D75C.jpeg
79B23D82-FFBF-4D2C-931C-F5D40F73AE00.jpeg
8098DAFF-BD86-4011-BA08-8764DEF294DE.jpeg

^ do you mean the anti-derailment retainer track* in the centerline of the regular track?

* I don't know what they're actually called

Back