Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

I hope you don't plan on powering your Mass Transit with wind generated electricity or solar for that matter
Westy

No, I never ment that. What I ment was that in addition to increasing mass transit, another step in the right direction would be to build more wind mills. Those can replace some of the power plants out there, and if enough are built, globally, they can take some of the burden off of fossil buring power plants. Which reduces emissions and rate of consumption of the non renewable resources. In regards to energy and transportation, change is emminent even if old money dosn't like it.

Boston.com - May 7, 2008
Potential Green Line stops announced in Somerville, Medford

rail.jpg

(Executive Office of Transportation)

By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff

State transportation officials unveiled the potential locations of up to seven new MBTA trolley stops in Somerville and Medford this week as a more definitive picture emerged of the long awaited extension of the Green Line.
03hot.jpgGlobe file photograph

The seven sites, which were announced at a meeting Monday, came eight months into a yearlong environmental review by the Executive Office of Transportation. The plan would lay new trolley tracks along the existing commuter rail line and extend the Green Line from Lechmere Station in East Cambridge to Mystic Valley Parkway in Somerville by Dec. 31, 2014.

The locations of potential stations include Brickbottom at Washington Street, Gilman Square at Medford Street, and Lowell Street, all of which are in Somerville. The trolley would then roll into Medford and stop twice on Boston Avenue at Ball Square and Hillside, which is near Tufts University. The Green Line would then cross back into Somerville, where the final station is under consideration at Route 16 and Mystic Valley Parkway.

The plan also proposes an offshoot from the main trolley line after Lechmere that would service a station at Union Square in Somerville and a 10- to 12-acre rail maintenance yard near Brickbottom.

A plan to extend the Green Line beyond East Cambridge has been percolating since at least the 1940s. The state committed to the project in 1990, when it pledged to make multiple transit improvements to avoid a lawsuit from the Conservation Law Foundation threatening to block construction of the Big Dig.

The environmental study has taken into account noise, air quality, the effect on private homes, and a host of other potential impacts of extending the trolley line. The study has included more than two dozen public meetings, and at least a dozen more will be scheduled before it is completed in September. The next meeting will be held at 4 p.m. on June 2 in Medford at a location that has not yet been determined.

Once the study is complete, transportation officials will submit their report to the state office of environmental affairs.

In Medford, Somerville, gripes over Green Line plans
Plans for stations, repair yard are hit

By Eric Moskowitz, Globe Staff | May 8, 2008

State transportation officials drew the ire of officials and residents from Somerville and Medford this week when they announced their picks for five stations and a rail-car maintenance yard to serve the Green Line extension.

In particular, Somerville residents found fault with plans to locate a nearly 12-acre maintenance yard in the city's Inner Belt, while the placement of a station near Tufts University elicited cries of favoritism from Medford residents.

The proposals were unveiled to the Green Line Extension Project Advisory Group at a meeting Monday attended by several dozen residents. State officials stressed the evolving nature of the project, saying that it will be refined, reviewed, and finalized over the next two to three years, and that construction could be completed by 2014.

The state will hold sessions specifically to gather public input and neighborhood feedback in the coming weeks, in addition to the regular advisory group meetings, officials said. Project planners also will visit Medford's City Council meeting Tuesday night to summarize their proposals and answer questions.

At Monday's meeting, Somerville representatives were disappointed by a plan to put the 24-hour maintenance yard - which would be an indoor and outdoor work and storage facility for 80 cars - in the Inner Belt, a commercial warehouse district in the city's southeastern corner.

Somerville planners are hoping to reshape the area with the kinds of businesses and residences that would be attracted by a Green Line station. A large, noisy rail yard instead could thwart those plans, they said.

Medford representatives and residents, meanwhile, were upset about the location of a station platform near Tufts University, which they said favored the school at the expense of residents who oppose the project and don't want a station in their neighborhood.

Despite the criticism, the Somerville and Medford camps maintained their traditional outlooks. In Somerville, officials and residents who watched the Red Line transform Davis Square seek the Green Line to enhance Union Square, boost property values in the eastern half of the city, and redevelop underutilized areas.

But the proposed rail yard and a plan to put one station, not two, in the Brickbottom and Washington Street areas showed a lack of concern for those goals, several from Somerville said.

In Medford, where the Green Line would run though long-established neighborhoods, people are split. Some share Somerville's enthusiasm, while others fear it would change their neighborhoods for the worse - either by bringing crime and increasing parking problems or by luring young professionals and Boston commuters who might price residents out of their homes.

Town-and-gown tension with Tufts also affects local feelings. That was all present Monday, when dissatisfied Medford residents did not fail to note the dissatisfaction coming from the Somerville side.

"Somerville's starting to see that not everything is as rosy-posy as it was once presented," said William Wood, a Medford representative to the advisory group and an outspoken critic of the Medford extension.

Wood contended that the state conspired with Tufts to serve the university at the expense of the Medford community. "Three years ago, I said Tufts would not get hit by this project. [And today] I am totally amazed that you found a way for Tufts not to get hit by this project," said Wood, saying the proposed station halfway between College Avenue and Winthrop Street - at roughly the midpoint of the campus's northern border - would serve Tufts and a recently built university garage while generating unwanted noise and foot traffic for residents nearby.

"They are great, great planners at Tufts University," said Wood. "I think maybe the state ought to join with Tufts and plan this project."

The Green Line extension would run alongside existing commuter-rail tracks northwest of the Lechmere terminus. The state's first proposed station platforms would go between the Brickbottom neighborhood and Washington Street in Somerville; near Gilman Square, behind Somerville High School and City Hall; on the north side of Lowell Street, adjacent to a development proposed for the so-called Maxpak site in Somerville; on the north side of Broadway in Ball Square; and between College and Winthrop in Medford.

Additional proposals - for a station that would extend the route through Medford's Hillside to Route 16 and the Mystic River, and for a Somerville spur that would route the Green Line to Union Square - will come in the next few months, said Stephen M. Woelfel, the transportation office's lead official for the project.

Somerville officials and residents were disappointed that the state slated the maintenance yard for the Inner Belt instead of even farther southeast, in the corner where Somerville meets Cambridge and Charlestown by Interstate 93. That area already houses a commuter-rail maintenance barn, which serves the suburban lines that slice through Somerville but do not stop there. Woelfel said that site was not viable for multiple reasons, including the need to take a small piece of the NorthPoint project, a nearly 45-acre development situated mostly in Cambridge.

That caused Somerville residents and officials to accuse the state of favoring NorthPoint over Somerville's vision for the Inner Belt.

"I want to support the project. We've worked very hard to see this happen," said Ellin Reisner, an advisory group member who represents the Somerville Transportation Equity Partnership, a community group that has advocated for the Green Line. "But we have to do it in a way that doesn't [harm] the community."

Woelfel said the state weighed cost, neighborhood concerns, handicapped accessibility, existing layouts, and other factors in proposing the stations and maintenance yard. "We're not perfect, but we're trying to get a project that works for everybody," he said.

I don't understand the bold. I thought the NorthPoint developer was going to build the new station at their own expense. What does relocating a station have to do with an 80 car rail yard. I am not familiar with the area in Summerville, but i respect that they want to transform it into a more TOD, presumably dense area.

I don't understand why this is being forced down Medford's throat if they don't want it. Too bad the money can't go to the Fairmont where they do want it.

Bottom line, some people don't want the green line to come and wont be satisfied with any proposal. It's going to run parralel to parralel to the train tracks, you already know its path, and did Medford residents honestly not think that there would be a stop at Tufts somewhere? Another case of a few trying to prevent something that will benefit the greater Boston area, and those two cities, for their own personal wants. Situations like this is when a monarchy is needed.

I can't fathom being opposed to a rail line.

What possible harm can come of it?

It's a benefit plain and simple.

I'm hoping that the EOT and MBTA are smart enough to do the right thing for the future, even in the face of a vocal minority who is obsessed about parking and traffic issues, all of which have solutions and can be mitigated against.

The issue regarding the Tufts stop is whether there should be two of them at College Ave and Winthrop St, or one halfway in between. I think the two stops make more sense, but the T's proposal doesn't agree.

The state moved the Tufts station to the middle of nowhere because people complained about the traffic on Winthrop Ave and now they complain the station favors Tufts at the expense of the community. I hate NIMBYs.

Also I think it is funny that Somerville is mad about the maintenance facility on vacant land given that still nothing is happening with Assembly Sq. Face it Somerville, the Inner Belt is not anyplace where people want to live. Use it for the facility, it is perfect for it (since it was always rail yards).

The inner belt area has the potential to generate a lot of tax revenue, someday. A maintenance yard will be tax exempt. I would also guess Somerville is a little tired of having a gritty industrial image.

When the T build or rebuilt the Cabot Yards in the 60's(?) they included pillings for future air rights. The should do the same here at inner belt.

Statler :
"I can't fathom being opposed to a rail line.

What possible harm can come of it?

It's a benefit plain and simple."

Well that's certainly a very simple statement. Not all rail lines are equal, and I don't think you can honestly support comments that all rail lines are benefits plain and simple. This won't be the Red Line, and there are many stops along our transit system that have not experienced the same success of Davis Sq.

As an outsider I think it is a great thing, but if I lived along the tracks or if I didn't work in town, I actually might not want the Green Line coming in. For many people, the Green will provide little benefit to their everyday lives, and as a rational person I can understand why they might oppose it.

^^ It's a cheap, economical, environmentally friendlier way of getting from point A to point B. Even if they don't have to travel from point A to point B every day, that doesn't mean it does not provide a benefit to them. It may reduce traffic on other roads they travel, it may reduce pollution in the air they breath and it may attract pedestrian friendly businesses to the area. And as more points are added, it becomes more and more valuable.

Even if I never used the Red Line, and instead drove or biked everywhere, having the Red Line two blocks from me is a great benefit. Without the Red Line station, many of the local businesses that I patronize would not exist.

How much exists at Malden Center or Oak Grove (other than parking) that wouldn't/didn't exist w/out the Orange Line?
Perhaps there are businesses that exist in Davis Sq. b/c of the Red Line, but are you sure that w/the increased popularity, automobile traffic to the area hasn't also increased?

There are people living in these neighborhoods that have lived there for years. They chose to live there w/out the Green Line and let's suppose they like where they live the way it is...you really can't see why they might oppose it? And you really think automobile traffic won't increase near the stations? If it doesn't, the line can't be all that convenient.

Of course it will increase near the station, that a given. But traffic over all will decrease.

For the record, I live near Oak Grove (and the only reason I do is because of the station).

The lack of a pedestrian environment around Malden Center and Oak Grove is a failure of the zoning and public planning of Malden, not the stations themselves.
The potential is still there, waiting to be realized. Hopefully, someday the city will recognize it and capitalize on it.

Without the Red Line, the Somerville Theatre would probably have closed some time in the 1980s or 90s.

"Some share Somerville's enthusiasm, while others fear it would change their neighborhoods for the worse - either by bringing crime and increasing parking problems or by luring young professionals and Boston commuters who might price residents out of their homes."

Someone explain this argument to me.

If you already live there, youre not being charged more if your property appreciates. Youre not being forced to sell

In fact, this means if you chose to sell, you can upgrade to a better house elsewhere away from transit.

"Some share Somerville's enthusiasm, while others fear it would change their neighborhoods for the worse - either by bringing crime and increasing parking problems or by luring young professionals and Boston commuters who might price residents out of their homes."

Someone explain this argument to me.

If you already live there, youre not being charged more if your property appreciates. Youre not being forced to sell

In fact, this means if you chose to sell, you can upgrade to a better house elsewhere away from transit.

Unless you rent or lease - which would probably be the people who are complaining about it

So the transit line should not be built as some kind of subsidy to renters?

The people next door to me own a 2 family in Medford. They saved for a down payment, fixed it up thru sweat equity, lived in it for a decade and now rent both modern units at a very fair rate (I say cheap). These people took risk, have payed tens of thousands of dollars in residential taxes and weathered at least 2 housing bubbles. They should not see a benefit because someone who could move tomorrow says so?

btw- I may sound like a broken record but what a luxury it is to not have to beg like the people along the Fairmont. Medford wasn't even effected by the Big Dig yet they receive mitigation for its impact?

^Scott, I'm not even sure what your point is.
As I stated before...I'm for the line, but I can understand how others would be against it. Just try to see someone else's point of view.

Ron, you're a smart guy. There's gotta be a better argument for rail than "it probably saved the theatre in Davis. "

The Red Line is underground in Davis, compared to the Orange Line at Malden Center, which is above ground. The Red Line and its stops are cleaner than the orange line for the most part, and it goes through some nicer areas. The Orange Line is disgusting and runs through mostly rundown neighborhoods. In my opinion, this is perhaps the most significant difference in the sucess of the Orange to Malden and the Red to Davis.

For me, above ground rail would only be desireable as a trolley. Though it will be slower than the Red, it will fit into the slower paced quaint setting in the Tufts area of Medford.

Back