Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I mean has it been on actual live display so that the public can view it? As in the case of the new Orange Line car Mockup where those who wanted to see it in person, came out to see it. :confused:

I mean has it been on actual live display so that the public can view it? As in the case of the new Orange Line car Mockup where those who wanted to see it in person, came out to see it. :confused:
You're not missing anything; it has not been on public display. Watch for press releases I guess. I don't recall if the MBTA has ever said it would be available for public viewing.

The Green Line cars are due this winter so not much more time left.

That is actually kind of interesting - will they be put into service even without the GLX having been really done (at all)? Just seems like without the extra stops they can't really use the extra trains/capacity.

My understanding is In the short-term these new Series 9s will not represent an increase in Fleet size and will not require extra storage space because as new cars arrive, Series 7 Kinki Sharyo ( 3600 & 3700 numbered) cars will be sent out to be rebuilt. The net fleet size won't rise until the Kinkis get back from rebuild (in time for the GLX extension)

My understanding is In the short-term these new Series 9s will not represent an increase in Fleet size and will not require extra storage space because as new cars arrive, Series 7 Kinki Sharyo ( 3600 & 3700 numbered) cars will be sent out to be rebuilt. The net fleet size won't rise until the Kinkis get back from rebuild (in time for the GLX extension)

They're more than halfway through the overhaul of the 7s and we still have a few months of progress before the 9s arrive. Are you sure there won't be an increase? We haven't really seen much of a shortage (from my perspective as a rider) with the ones out for rehab so far.

I hope the final design of the new GL cars isn't what we've seen photos of so far. The design of the outside is VERY awkward and cluttered. They should look modern and sleek!

I hope the final design of the new GL cars isn't what we've seen photos of so far. The design of the outside is VERY awkward and cluttered. They should look modern and sleek!

On this topic, does anyone have any idea exactly where in the design process that this:
8cNbIOw.png

became this?
bEJncNl.jpg

I don't know when it did, but I'm really glad it did.

I don't know when it did, but I'm really glad it did.

The squared off design looks a lot more practical. Better interior volume utilization. These are not aerodynamic high-speed rail vehicles, they are LRVs, basically slightly sexy trolley cars.

The initial illustration was only a conceptual rendering from the manufacturer based solely on the RFP specifications. The second image was rendered after much of car shell had been designed with MBTA guidance.

The car is fine, but the paint is ridiculous. What's with the weird angles and not quite contouring to the windows?

Some of the Kinki Type 7's WERE sent out for a facelift and have been brought back.

I must admit though, that they DO look spanking new with far brighter LED lights inside, new flooring and walls!

I just wish that they put the new paint scheme on them instead of that tired old scheme that has been around since the mid 70's on the Type 6 Boeing Vertol trolleys.

What is this exactly? Is this just moving the CR tracks?
Adding a crossover to the Lowell Line CR tracks at the outer limit of GLX construction (Tufts U CR Crossover will be just beyond the GLX [Tufts] College Ave stop) to allow for single-track CR Operations alongside the whole project (and I guess it was too hard to put a crossover on the embankment where the Lowell Line diverges from the Lechmere spur between Washington St and Tower A at North Station)

Incidentally, there are diggers/earthmovers on the New Lechmere station site today. Might walk over at lunch to check it out.

Back