Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I spoke with a construction worker @ the Washington Bridge site. The "temporary" sidewalk opening tomorrow will actually be on street level. Sounds kind of dangerous for this area, but at least the option to walk is available!

^ The roadway width looks like 1 lane each way plus bike lanes. Or, it could be 1 lane each way plus a left turn lane, with the bikeways up out of the road and next to the walkways.

^ The roadway width looks like 1 lane each way plus bike lanes.
that's the plan. I hope the bike lane is somewhat protected, better than how it was before. The cars "bunch up" to form two lanes every morning during rush hour, waiting at the light, which eliminates the bike lane.

OR, if there is enough space on the sidewalk, maybe they could squeeze the bike lane in there? 🤷‍♂️

Not open yet (10pm) but they're still working.

In general, seeing these crews hard at work at night time fills me with optimism for the entire project finishing on time

IMG_4267.jpg

I must admit, despite my trying, I have exactly zero love or nostalgia for that station whatsoever.

I have a lot of good memories of Lechmere Station, such as riding back from Revere Beach in the summer with my mother, Aunt and sisters when I was a kid in the 1950s. But I admit it's a marginal type of station.

I have a lot of good memories of Lechmere Station, such as riding back from Revere Beach in the summer with my mother, Aunt and sisters when I was a kid in the 1950s. But I admit it's a marginal type of station.

I fully agree. Warm childhood memories can make any place sacred ground.

Last edited:
I must admit, despite my trying, I have exactly zero love or nostalgia for that station whatsoever.

It was the first MBTA station I ever used when I came to visit to go apartment hunting for the first time. I doubt I have used it more than 2-3 more times in the ten years I’ve lived here, but that is just the geography of where I ended up settling. As a Ball Square resident, I suspect I’ll be using new Lechmere a whole lot more in the future.

Nice to see so much progress. Regarding the Medford Street Bridge, have they not started widening the span yet? Seems like it's still just a two-track space. Has it just been used for staging this whole time?

When I heard about this I went back to my old pictures to post some and needless to say I realized it wasn't really worth it. Except for maybe a railfan trip around the loop (crazy, I know) I don't really remember this station.

Is it me, or is that bridge height kind of low?

Back