Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

1.5 is new fare vending machines that are up to modern standards with software and payment protocols (including accepting contactless) and new tap targets on existing fare gates which accept new tappable charlie tickets, which are already rolling out at certain stations. Lastly the new FVMs can dispense charlie cards. But all the other benefits of 2.0 are missing: payment onboard vehicles with contactless, web management of charlie accounts, server side payments, all door boarding, etc.

So, great, all of the new GLX stations will be front door only. Fantastic.

So, great, all of the new GLX stations will be front door only. Fantastic.
The GLX stations are all center island (i.e., platforms on the left of the train) so there will be no way to front door board (front doors are all on the right of the train). So without rear door payment OR fare gates, GLX will need to be pre-board Proof of Payment.

We had all door boarding with Charlie Card 1.0 and some imbecile at the MBTA decided it was better to squeeze out every last penny and add 5 minutes of travel time to the green line because heavens forbid someone not pay
Busses too. It backs everything up.

The GLX stations are all center island (i.e., platforms on the left of the train) so there will be no way to front door board (front doors are all on the right of the train). So without rear door payment OR fare gates, GLX will need to be pre-board Proof of Payment.
They could switch sides and run on the left in both directions until they switch at North station or whatever

Clearly when Baker & Company slashed the project down to save money they missed that there was a reason for the FVMs and gates beyond ornate headhouse vanity.

We had all door boarding with Charlie Card 1.0 and some imbecile at the MBTA decided it was better to squeeze out every last penny and add 5 minutes of travel time to the green line because heavens forbid someone not pay

I'm surprised they didn't take a page out of Keolis's book, hire a bunch of people to stand around to see if people had tickets (not necessarily to where they're going), plan to install faregates and never do, and still have onboard collection :ROFLMAO:

They could switch sides and run on the left in both directions until they switch at North station or whatever

It's probably not signaled for it, and I don't know how they'd handle the switchover at North Station without either danger of head-on collisions or taking the yard tracks out of use to stage meets, either of which would be operationally awkward, not to mention an absurdly complicated situation for a frankly predictable problem of their own (or the governor's own) making. Wait, what am I saying, it sounds exactly like something they'd consider.

The best solution would be to do what the T did when they opened the Southwest Corridor Orange Line in the 80's: Just make the new stations free until the new fare system can be put in place.

It would beat the present system. Most of the time, those Charlie machines at some of the stations just don't work! At Ailwife one day, I was trying to put some money on my pass. There were 3 machines there & none of them worked at all!!! :mad:

Last edited:
The best solution would be to do what the T did when they opened the Southwest Corridor Orange Line in the 80's: Just make the new stations free until the new fare system can be put in place.

Agreed. They could even brand it as a one-year introductory free period to build ridership.

Is there a major company along the new extension they could sell free-fare naming rights too?

'FREE FARES BROUGHT TO YOU BY X COMPANY"

*They pay 1 million, fares would have been 10 million, but thats ok no need to discuss.

Haven’t been here for over 2.5 months since a fell at home
3BBD5B89-7706-4511-84BD-16941087DB19.jpeg
6AB357FE-56E5-4504-A85B-1C223EA45BC9.jpeg
106724AD-E3FE-4150-9593-2C497568622E.jpeg
F18501ED-AF4B-4CAB-957B-AC3291EC344B.jpeg
A4498056-F012-4EDC-9067-CB24397655C4.jpeg
53B3C12A-02B6-4C45-BBE2-8EB4B8FB13C2.jpeg
and fractured patella

I hope they paint a fake building onto that mechanical building. When they do a good job it ends up being one of those cool things you dont notice unless youre looking for it.

What are the inner rails between the running rails in the Gilman Square photos? They almost look like storage for future repairs, but that would be an odd thing to put in place at this point.

What are the inner rails between the running rails in the Gilman Square photos? They almost look like storage for future repairs, but that would be an odd thing to put in place at this point.

Guard rail, placed where you don't want the train to derail because of an object or drop off. More commonly used on bridges. You can see on the opposite track where the plates have been installed already, but not the rail. The reason for the weird short gap is there is probably a utility crossing evidenced by the change in spacing of the ties and the sink hole on the right at the conduit stub up in picture 6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_rail_(rail)

Last edited:
Interesting video of the new brooklyn bridge bike lane. Lane is 8ft wide and looks like it's really tight. The community will be 10ft wide along the GLX so it'll be a little wider. It will be fine for bike commuters but will have a very different feel to the community path beyond lowell st.

I wonder if the School St and Medford St bridges will have "2021" at the extended end of the guardrails, so they'll have two different years on them. (I've always liked how bridges in MA have the year engraved like that.)

Back